Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    Enthusiast

Status

Fitting A Downpipe & Milltek Exhaust and Law

Hi,

I would like to fit a Milltek Exhaust (Non Resonated) and a downpipe no my 2.0TDI. That would mean removing the catalytic converter. I would like to find out how it will affect the Tax Band and the future MOT test?

The new tax bands are meant to enter in 2010 and I don't want to be forced to put the old exhaust system back on or pay extraordinary amounts of money in the road tax.

Has anyone got some knowledge in that topic?

Is there any other issues I should consider apart from the insurance costs?

Thanks.
    VCDS USER

2. # ADS
    ADS

Boycie

Status
    Are you getting a milltek down pipe? if so, they include a hi-flow cat so you will still have one.

As far as tax banding goes....who cares!

5th Gear

Status
    check with your insurance, as far as I was aware its not a legal requiment for a TDi to have a CAT for its MOT, i beleive they are just subject to the smoke test, However my insurance company refused to insure mine if I decatted it.
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

Neutral

Status
    The tax banding won't change on your car if you take the cat out. However, it is a legal requirement to have one if the car is manufactured with one. Take it off and get caught, and your car can get crushed! It would probably invalidate your insurance too if the car is supposed to have one- but don't quote me on that ;-)
    Not having a cat is a bit scummy if you ask me, not only are you adding more polution to the old atmosphere, but the power/torque difference between a fast flow cat and no cat is insignificant!

Just my two penneth.
    S3 8P remapped to 308bhp/395Nm, all the toys, but no buckets

Boycie

Status
    Dervs are no longer smoke/emissions tested

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydie View Post
    Dervs are no longer smoke/emissions tested

Cool, as long as there's no clouds of smoke I take it emissions are ok?
    S3 8P remapped to 308bhp/395Nm, all the toys, but no buckets

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by slim40 View Post
    The tax banding won't change on your car if you take the cat out. However, it is a legal requirement to have one if the car is manufactured with one. Take it off and get caught, and your car can get crushed! It would probably invalidate your insurance too if the car is supposed to have one- but don't quote me on that ;-)
    Not having a cat is a bit scummy if you ask me, not only are you adding more polution to the old atmosphere, but the power/torque difference between a fast flow cat and no cat is insignificant!

Just my two penneth.
    Typical petrol head rubbish. Diesel car do not need a CAT to pass on MOT neither is it a legal requirement to have one fitted. Removing the CAT will not effect the tax band as it is calculated on the factory engine emissions and is not mod related. Fitting a sports CAT to a diesel is a total waste of time and money which is why most companies don`t bother with fitting them to diesel downpipes.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Mines de-catted, I'm with boydie, who cares?

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

Status
    The CAT in an exhaust doesn`t burn or filter smoke particles so removing it will have no effect on smoke out put anyway.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Neutral

Status
    I agree with Devonmikeyboy, I have had Full Milltek turbo backs fitted to a previous diesel and it made no difference at all to the 2 MOT tests it went in for. You really do not need a CAT on diesel cars.

I am going to get a Turbo back Milltek for my Audi A3 2.0 TDI in the AMD group buy.

Neutral

Status
    does it sound any different if you take the cat off and does it make it any quicker ??

Boycie

Status
    Gases will flow quicker but the car will be noisey and sound tractorish plus you will get the "cooooooo" noise when coming off boost

Status
    You will not gain any noticable bhp by removing the CAT unless your CAt was blocked for some reason. The main difference will be that the cars exhaust gases will smell different as the CAT is designed to remove NOX gases. Noises from the exhaust will go up very slightly as the CAT is no longer in the way of the sound waves leaving the engine but i have never noticed the difference myself. If you remove the silencer or fit a more free flow example which is there to silence the noise that will make the car louder and free up some bhp as that is where the restriction is in the exhaust not the CAT.

2nd Gear

Status
    Off topic: devonmikeyboy, i notice in your sig your stripping the car for further upgrades, whats happening to the current upgrades?

How id love to be able to do what you do to your A3 LOL
    Audi A3 2.0TDi S-Line - Bose - AMD Remap - Pipercross Performance air filter - RNS-e Retrofit - RS4 style Alloys

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by just017 View Post
    Off topic: devonmikeyboy, i notice in your sig your stripping the car for further upgrades, whats happening to the current upgrades?

How id love to be able to do what you do to your A3 LOL
    I am having a fully rebuilt and strengthend engine/gearbox fitted with all new power mods. I have at least two people wanting my old turbo but until i know this new setup works well as a road car not even thinking about putting my old stuff up for sale.

In pursuit of audiness:)

Status
    i hope all will be ok and i will be able steal your old turbo
    Audi A6 2.7 TDI S-Line
    Mods - |Remap | 18" rs6 wheels |
    To be done - 19" wheels | Tints | Sat nav retrofit | RS6 steering wheel