Panel Filter

nicks3

Reaction score
Anyone recommend (or otherwise!) a decent replacement panle filter for the S3?

Is the pipercross not better as it is not oiled?

cant comment on pipercross as i haven't used one but i would guess oiled would be better for filtration.

I have an ITG one in my car - it came up for sale handy enough at the time so bought it.

VW Racing use pipercross though so I would consider one of them!

However, I was speaking to revo 2 weeks ago and they recommend the ITG filter

Thats good enough for me, pipercross it is!

do you get any sound/noticable performance increase with a panel filter?

K&N is really good! You wnt even notice the difference might sound slightly different though.

do you get any sound/noticable performance increase with a panel filter?

I've changed the air filter to Pipercross, don't have any other mods (YET:D).
To be honest, I haven't noticed any difference.
Got pipercross, because the manufacturer says it improves the airflow, also the filter can be cleaned, so there is no need to buy a new one every service.

I want more of the sound really but not the open cone type sound.

Does anyone know how to access the air filter in a 2009 s3?

disconnect the air pipe from the engine cover, disconnect the plug ontop of the engine cover, remove engine cover and the air filter is inside the engine cover

Thanks mate. Does the engine cover pull off or is it secured?Also what does the plug look like and where is it?

Last edited:
Itg or green both good filters mate and not as highly oiled

Thanks mate. Does the engine cover pull off or is it secured?Also what does the plug look like and where is it?

its the only plug located on the top left hand corner of the engine cover

the cover is just popped on but just be carefull as you can break the bits if you yank it too hard - do a corner at a time!

it seems to depend on who they are affiliated with. custom code recomend green panel, revo recomend itg. some dont rate pipecross yet others swear by them. who knows...!

I was wondering, a sport filter is supposed to let more air pass to the engine, doesn't it also let more dust pass trough?

Are you sure it is that simple as mine looks like one pretty solid unit. Doesn't pull off easily.

I have tried to remove the engine cover but it is fixed on very well. Are you sure I just pull it off as it seems to be fitted very well.

Have you removed the maf sensor and the clip surrounding the air scoop?

Have a look around the edges of the cover for a screw but as far as I remember, it should pop off with a bit of force!

Did that mate but can only see a rubber type clip on the left habd front side of the engine cover. I am concerned at just using brute force.....

I dont know then nick, sorry. I am not worried about using a bit of force - a mechanic wouldn't care either if you were to take it to audi, he would have the same issues.

Break it, fix it, lesson learned.

Ok. Brute force it is tonight then.

Is there much more noise with these panel filters fitted? Noticeable?

None at all really mate to be honest - I have the milltek cat back so wouldn't hear

By bending the corners slightly of the cover, you will be able to tell where the poppers are attached - you can then concentrate all your "brute force" onto that area instead of spreading it all over the cover. it will make it easier for you to remove being area specific.