SDS Hack

aristides

Reaction score
Hello @ all

I`ve been trying to do the SDS Hack for a while now and i can`t seem to get it right.

I have downloaded a zip file , found on the net, containing all the crucial information for the update i burnt the CD but nothing happens.

My current software is 650, and i am almost certain that my RNS-e is an 2007 model.

What am i doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
I also noticed that this SDS folder is also present in my 2009 DVD with the maps.

Should i include this SDS folder when i try to burn the CD for the SDS hack or not?

No just burn the hack, the sds folder will be on the dvd given its the same dvd's for sds enabled & not enabled rns units.

PM with email address & will email sds hack if cant get working.

Make sure not to use windows burning tool, use nero & also type of disc seems to make difference when I was doing someone's recently, try dvd or cd to write.

funnily enough, I just did it the other day too. Used Nero to burn the files to a CD and after inserting the CD it did the upgrade. The crack I used it marked as version 660, is yours? It might think its the same version as already there and not update it if it is a cracked version but down as version 650.

Just need to order the microphone now LOL

Yeah the sds needs to be 1 level up interms of numbering of firmware, so should be 0660 after the hack in car info or setup on rns, given its effectively a new firmware level, so if its labelled as 650 it wont upgrade.

Go guys job done

Actually NHN i did use the CD with the SDS folder in, at first nothing happened, but i decided to change Channel 97 (Adaptation VCDS) to allow downgrades.
Since i was trying to update and not downgrade nothing happened again.

But after i changed the setting back to 0 , meaning to allow only updates, it finally began to update.

Everything set now, i guess i need a mic now too , lol

Can you give me the part number for the mic since i seem to have misplaced my paper with the part numbers, cheers

8L1 862 373 A for the mic

8L0 972 623 for an angled connector

or

8D0 972 643 for the normal connector

Not sure why there are two different connectors, maybe one with sunroof control etc?

Im thinking the mic is gonna be highly overpriced too LOL

Looks good to me mate, £10 is a steal as they're 2-3 times that from dealer.

So all i would have to do, to get the SDS to work is to wire this mic to my RNS-e?

In which pins should i connect it?
I have a diagram of the RNS-e and there are 4 "Mic-pins"
Got 2 mic in , one + and one -
and 2 mic out , also one + and one -

Whats the deal with this?

Can`t really find the difference.

They are the same right?
The only thing different is the shape of the cable coming out of the mic.

Can someone explain to me exactly what the SDS hack is, what it does and what the benefits are?

Thanks. -I ran a search and found a few "how do I do the SDS hack" threads, but so far nothing which tells me WHAT it is...

keith

It make your RNS-E think its fitted with Speech Directed System (I'm guessing thats what it stands for LOL). This lets you press the Push To Talk button on a multifunction steering wheel and issue commands through a microphone to your RNS-E. I thought it was only of use with the bluetooth prep but I've learned you can input destinations, change CD/MP3 tracks/radio stations too etc.

Ok fellas its me again, i need some advice on how to wire the mic so i have both Bluetooth functionality and SDS support.

Im thinking of this loom :

It`s supposed to be for the RNS-e but it seems like i have to remove the pins and connect them to the quadlock myself. Right? The plug&play adaptors are twice the price!

How should i wire the mic? There are 2 Mic in ports (+ and -) and 2 Mic out
Should i first wire the mic to the mic IN ports and then use the mic out pins to connect it to the BT module?

Cheers

Got the mic delivered today which one is the + feed and which the - ?

Got a white cable in Pin 1 of the mic , and a black in Pin 2.
How should i connect them to the MIC in ports of the RNS-e?

pin 1 of mic goes to pin 1 of connector c & pin 2 of mic goes to pin 7 of connector c for sds operation that is & then wire out to BT module if you have.

pin 1 of mic goes to pin 1 of connector c & pin 2 of mic goes to pin 7 of connector c for sds operation that is & then wire out to BT module if you have.

The loom I got for my RNS-E had wires for phone (BT?) module in connection C so I just unclipped them & used them in pins 1&7.

Been playing with it this weekend but have a question Nigel, when you choice CD it goes to play a CD, can you get it to select MP3?

The loom I got for my RNS-E had wires for phone (BT?) module in connection C so I just unclipped them & used them in pins 1&7.

Been playing with it this weekend but have a question Nigel, when you choice CD it goes to play a CD, can you get it to select MP3?

Hold on a sec.

The loom has the mic directly wired to the BT module right?

But we need to get it from the RNS-e to the BT module.

Should i try this parallel ? Or use both MIC In and OUT ports?
Which is easier?

I guess i would have to take my loom apart to feed the wires :S

Thought about buying a BT module but remembered I hate phones so didnt bother LOL

Im guessing your wiring will be different with it.

shame speaking CD doesn't just take it back to what you were last listening to!

Nigel, when you say wire out to bluetooth module, which wires are you speaking of? my loom has 4 grey wires which have yellow repair wires attached to them are these the wires you mean?

cheers
Cal

Hold on a sec.

Which is easier?

the mic needs to go to the rns-e first for sds on the mic + in & mic - in, then out the rns-e to the bluetooth module using the mic + out & mic - out.
i too had to seek advice from nigel, therefore this is correct. lol

No, stupid if you ask me cause I only use sd slots, ooh I wonder if there's a command for sd or drive, goes to check...........

Hold on a sec.

Which is easier?

You need to wire ur mic to the rns-e unit 1st, then wire it back out from the rns to the BT module, easily confused but take time & test before fitting all in place, using mic in/out on quadlock connector on rns so 4 wires, so in your case, cut into the loom & join it at the pillar where the mic comes down from & where the BT module wires goto under the seat, then run 4 wires to rns & join to the cut ends & rns ends need the repair wire pins to plug into the connector c, next to nothing from audi, make sure you test 1st with twisted wires on the joins then when tested successfully bullet crimp or solder.

Sadly no , SDS doesn`t support further selections like MP3 etc

S*cks!!!

yeah I agree

Nigel, when you say wire out to bluetooth module, which wires are you speaking of? my loom has 4 grey wires which have yellow repair wires attached to them are these the wires you mean?

In your case you need to pin out your wiring so check the end which has the plug for the BT module & work out which pin they're attached to on the BT module plug then can work out where to put them with the bare ends as such

the mic needs to go to the rns-e first for sds on the mic + in & mic - in, then out the rns-e to the bluetooth module using the mic + out & mic - out.
i too had to seek advice from nigel, therefore this is correct. lol

Sound advice.

PS. Anyone got £70 they can lend me :whistle2::lmfao:

Last edited:
Aristotle any chance you can resize your 1st post image as I hate scroll bars, lol.

I could , but you spelled my name wrong :box:

Both great men , but don`t forget that Aris (Aristides) was the God of Fire!
Aristotle was -just- a philosopher :faint:

Hmm, no edit button available for my first post.

Maybe a mod could delete the screenshot, no need for it to be there

Nah mate was just having a joke with yer, I knew your real username, lol

I just asked a mod to edit it for yer.

Cool mate thanks, got a 22" screen, never thought it would annoy anyone, lol

May the power of fire be with you son , lol

many many thanks guys this is finally starting to make sense now .

cheers
Cal

Hi guys
I have RNSE with bluetooth function on a multi function wheel, do I need any extra wiring/hardware to get this SDS hack to work?
Also where would I get the hack and do I need Vagcom to make it work?

Cheers in advance guys!

Not being funny but this has been discussed at length in this thread alone so please read it 1st then will be glad to help on points you dont get.

Not being funny but this has been discussed at length in this thread alone so please read it 1st then will be glad to help on points you dont get.

I have actually read the thread at length and if you it read, it doesn't actually make it clear whether you need any extra kit if you've already got RNSE and bluetooth already fitted.

Soooo I was wondering if you do need any extra kit????

Cheers in advance

I have read it mate few times, but to clarify if you have BT & RNS already along with an MFSW then you need to amend the mic wiring that currently goes to the BT module directly, so need to tap into this & redirect the mic wires to the rns then from the rns back out to the BT module, then do the sds hack via disc & you should be good to go, the info for connecting is in the thread, of course you would need to find your wires in the passenger front pillar to cut & join onto, need some .35-.5 wire & some repair wires from audi to plug into the rns connectors.

do I remember reading about an interface for the RNS-E & ipod & treated it like a CD multi-changer? Maybe this can be controlled with the voice command as opposed to MP3?

Could have been a dream though LOL

Yeah was dream as was *****, seriously it was crap idea from audi & cop out what is nw the AMI on new 10 cars