8P VCDS changes thread

Staz

is a retronaut
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As well as changing settings for retrofits such as cruise control and RNS-E there are certain settings can be changed on 8Ps with VCDS alone.

There are far more options than I have highlighted here but most either have no use, would be detrimental or just seem to have no effect to the car.

Feel free to add more if you know them :thumbsup:

If you don't know what VCDS is then have a read of THIS.

09 - Central Electronics

Long Coding Helper:

Byte 0
Bit 3 - Daytime Running Lights (Scandinavia) active - (DRLs plus tailights)
Bit 4 - Daytime Running Lights (North America) active - (DRLs only)
Bit 5 - Assistance Driving Light _Leaving Home active - (Note 1)
Bit 7 - Coming Home active - (Note 1)
Byte 3
Bit 5 - Teardrop Wiping for Rear Window active - (Single delayed extra wipe after rear wash/wipe)
Byte 5
Headlight Washer Delay - (? x 50 = delay (ms)) - (Useful in the winter so you're not washing your headlights every 5 minutes)
Byte 8
Bit 7 - Daytime Running Light (DRL) Deactivation while Blinking active - (Turns off or dims (8P3) the DRL whilst indicating)
Byte 17
Bit 0 - Emergency Brake Flash Light active - (Hazards on when emergency braking)
Bit 4 - Daytime Light via Fog Lights - (For models without DRLs)
Bit 5 - Front Fog Lights deactivated with high beam
Byte 22
Bit 1 - DRLs switchable via menu - (Note 2)
Byte 23
Bit 1 - Advanced Comfort Menu active - (Note 2)
17 - Instruments

Coding:

xxxxx?x
0 = Seatbelt Warning Inactive
xxxxxx?
0 = Needles OFF and Scales Off
1 = Needles ON and Scales Off
2 = Needles OFF and Scales ON
3 = Needles ON and Scales ON (Dimming active)
4 = Needles ON and Scales ON

44 - Steering Assist

Adaptation:

Channel 001 - Steering Assistance - (For some models before 2008)

46 - Central Convenience

Long Coding Helper:

Byte 0
Bit 0 - Selective Central Locking (Single Door Opening)
Bit 3 - Auto-Unlock (Unlocking after removing key from ignition)
Bit 4 - Auto Lock (Automatic locking from 15Km/h)
Byte 5
Bit 6 - Comfort Function automatic closure - (The button doesn't need to be held down to close the windows/sunroof)
Bit 7 - Power Windows/Sunroof disabled after door opening - (Note 3)
Byte 6
Bit 2 - Comfort opening Power Windows via Remote Control
Bit 5 - Comfort closing Power Windows via Remote Control
Byte 7
Bit 5 - Comfort closing Sunroof via Remote Control
Byte 8
Bit 0 - Unlocking Confirmation (Blink) via Door Locks
Bit 1 - Unlocking Confirmation (Horn) via Door Locks (Note 4)
Bit 2 - Unlocking Confirmation (Blink) via Remote Control
Bit 3 - Unlocking Confirmation (Horn) via Remote Control
Bit 7 - Horn Configuration Blocked - (Deselect to make changes)
Byte 9
Bit 0 - Locking Confirmation (Blink) via Door Locks
Bit 1 - Locking Confirmation (Horn) via Door Locks
Bit 2 - Locking Confirmation (Blink) via Remote Control
Bit 3 - Locking Confirmation (Horn) via Remote Control
Byte 10
Bit 6 - Synchronised Mirror Adjustment - (Control both with driver setting and passenger only on passenger)
Bit 7 - Mirror Lowering with Reverse Gear (Only with memory seats) - (So far no one has done it)

Notes

Note 1 - CH and LH lights can be enabled on models with Bi-Xenons with just coding. For other models read THIS or for models with LED DRLs read THIS.

Note 2 - Advanced Comfort Menu allows certain settings to be changed via the DIS. These are as follows:
-Ext Lights
-Daytime Lights - (DRLs On/Off)
-Coming Home - (Time delay 0 to 60 seconds in 5 second increments)
-Leaving Home - (On/Off only. Delay can be adjusted in adaptations. Default 30 seconds)
-Wipers
-Front - (Service position On/Off)
-Rear - (Automatic on in Reverse On/Off)
Note 3 - This function works in reverse on my car. With this selected I can still open and close my windows once the door has been opened.

Note 4 - Enables alarm beeps when unlocking and/or locking the car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug81apPh3Jc

Useful Links

http://en.openobd.org/audi/a3_8p.htm

http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Main_Page

Last edited:
Reactions: mattydaniels205, EvilSmurph and Westy
Bit 7 - Mirror Lowering with Reverse Gear (Only with memory seats) - (So far no one has done it without)

Is this something else I'm learning today? - Memory seats??? I didn't think the S3\A3 had these?

Wicked write up by the way. Good work.

You're right, I don't know if there are memory seats on 8Ps actually :think: it certainly wasn't on my options list.

I was thinking about linking to that thread funnily enough :)

I'm stickying this just for a week so that people know it's here :idea:

You're right, I don't know if there are memory seats on 8Ps actually :think: it certainly wasn't on my options list.

I was thinking about linking to that thread funnily enough :)

I have an electrically controlled drivers seat on my A3. When I enquired about having a seat or seats with memory settings I was told these were not available on the A3 range.

I've got folding wing mirrors on my S3. Does anybody know if these can be programmed to fold on ignition off and unfold on ignition on?

Reactions: Boothi and gagotelli
They can't be programmed that way no mate.

I have designed a circuit that does it for my folding mirrors retrofit but I am not sure if I'm going to build it yet.

They can't be programmed that way no mate.

I have designed a circuit that does it for my folding mirrors retrofit but I am not sure if I'm going to build it yet.

Didnt Nigel design the circuit, hes been discussing the cicuit for as long as I can remember. I started to look at it but the problems with burning the motors out etc was the issue, im sure he resolved the issue and got it working, Im just waiting for him to sent me the completed circuit pcb

Didnt Nigel design the circuit, hes been discussing the cicuit for as long as I can remember. I started to look at it but the problems with burning the motors out etc was the issue, im sure he resolved the issue and got it working, Im just waiting for him to sent me the completed circuit pcb

Nigel designed a cicuit yeah but he said it didn't work. I designed a circuit from scratch using Multisim and on there it works. It can be fitted with variable resistors to fine tune the timing to prevent to motor burn out.

He told me on MSN a few weeks back that he designed one circuit a while ago that worked ok but then he did another (can't remember why) that didn't work. I may have been mistaken though.

Either way I have done a completely different one off my own back but I have been trying to source new modules before going ahead and building it.

Staz
A list of members with Vagcom and 8P experience can only be helpful as long as they know what they are doing ! just my 1p worth....

Reactions: mark@cmbautos
If someone doesn't know what they're doing then they shouldn't post themselves as people who can help!

If someone doesn't know what they're doing then they shouldn't post themselves as people who can help!

Yea ok but i have a lead and a laptop that people could use but i dont know how to do "everything" with it.
Maybe i will just shut up again. everyone here is just soooo negative !

Right, so then you say "Hi I'm Paddy, I have a laptop and lead but I don't know how to use it. If you do then you're welcome to have a go."

:keule:

Reactions: Ben2487
In connection with the things that can be changed using VCDS, I've tried to change the item in 46 Central Conv controller Byte 5 Bit 7 that allows the power windows to remain working even after the ignition has been turned off. I have tried it with the box ticked in the Long Code Helper and Unticked (VCDS 908) and it does not seem to make any difference. They will still not work once the ignition has been turned off and the drivers door opened.

Has anyone tried this and got it to work?

In connection with the things that can be changed using VCDS, I've tried to change the item in 46 Central Conv controller Byte 5 Bit 7 that allows the power windows to remain working even after the ignition has been turned off. I have tried it with the box ticked in the Long Code Helper and Unticked (VCDS 908) and it does not seem to make any difference. They will still not work once the ignition has been turned off and the drivers door opened.

Has anyone tried this and got it to work?

Yes Dave if I have this option deselected the windows still work until I open the door. The auto function is disabled though.

With the option ticked the window works with the door open but once it's closed again they're disabled.

Yes Dave if I have this option deselected the windows still work until I open the door. The auto function is disabled though.

With the option ticked the window works with the door open but once it's closed again they're disabled.

I think I was trying to get something that is probably not possible. I have it set now so that when I turn the ignition off and open the door, I can still close the window.

What I thought was possible, but clearly isn't, was to turn the ignition off and get out of the car using the drivers door. Close the door and for my passenger to then still be able to open a window.

I think I was trying to get something that is probably not possible. I have it set now so that when I turn the ignition off and open the door, I can still close the window.

What I thought was possible, but clearly isn't, was to turn the ignition off and get out of the car using the drivers door. Close the door and for my passenger to then still be able to open a window.

Aha no I don't think that's possible mate.

On the wing mirrors topic - is it possible to control them at all with VCDS?
Reason I ask, is 'cause my brother's 325ti used to dip the wing mirrors when in reverse, so you could see kerbs etc better.
cool function...

On the wing mirrors topic - is it possible to control them at all with VCDS?
Reason I ask, is 'cause my brother's 325ti used to dip the wing mirrors when in reverse, so you could see kerbs etc better.
cool function...

There's an option there for that very function but the label says "Only with memory seats" and it doesn't work anyway. Many have been asking about this but no one has got it to work.

Thing is & its been discussed many times, the MK5 golf has this option, aswell as dual mirror movement IIRC, its ridiculous that audi is the more premium brand but we get lesser features than the MK5 which is the 8P equal chassis as such.

& as Staz says you wont get this on the 8P anyway, you could probably get it working with seats from another chassis & mirror modules as it relies on these as the A3/A4/A6 range of certain chassis shared mirror parts so not impossible, but its whether the canbus would allow them to be recognised on the 8P.

Personally I'd rather get the mrs her own car, lol

Nigel,

you could probably get it working with seats from another chassis & mirror modules as it relies on these as the A3/A4/A6 range of certain chassis shared mirror parts so not impossible

For info, I have enabled the wing mirror dip when ptting car into reverse. I have also enabled the needle sweep.

Can any modules/parts be used from an A4 in the A3? If anyone knows the answer, you will :yes:

Reactions: gagotelli and carr_421
You little shyte, audi have added that to the B8 aswell then, they're gits huh as mk5 seemed to have them all.

You mean B8 onto the 8P mate?

Sorry Ramirez its not possible on the A3

just found an answer i already knew but forgot, cheers for saving the raking

@onespoke sadly id doubt it unless youre a very late one think its 08 on, tbh its a bit rubbis on the s3's its just a quick flick rather than a sweep

Every time I hop in my car and my iPhone connects via Bluetooth there is a chime to indicate the phone has paired successfully. Invariably this chime sounds in the middle of a news segment, cricket score, whatever and I want to know if it is possible to disable the chime via VCDS.

Every time I hop in my car and my iPhone connects via Bluetooth there is a chime to indicate the phone has paired successfully. Invariably this chime sounds in the middle of a news segment, cricket score, whatever and I want to know if it is possible to disable the chime via VCDS.

I too would like to know if it is possible to get rid of this annoying chime?!?!?! I'm sure NHN will have the answer?!?!

You can't disable the chime but you can reduce the volume. There's a link in the FAQs thread

Wish I did Tom, its a real pita tbh, but as Leon says you can lower this volume of the tone by pressing the SDS button on your MFSW, saying help & whilst she is talking all the ****** just lower the volume & this should retain for the BT connection tone aswell.

In the original post where it says 'Bit 0' (for example) does this mean the first digit (0 or 1) in the binary code, counting from left to right?

So 'Bit 7' is actually the last digit? (What I would call 'Bit 8', as if I remember my GCSE IT correctly there's 8 bits in a byte)

If you have say a long coding page in front of you in vcds, you can see at the top it shows the bytes in hex/dec form going from left to right starting from byte 00, then below it shows the bits with tick boxes, being bit 0 is the top box, going from top to bottom.

Thanks for the reply, but there isn't tick boxes everytime is there?

For example see the pic below. So according to the guide above, 'Bit 7' in Byte 0 is a 1. Is that right? It's just a bit confusing counting the bits when coding, and I want to make sure I'm doing it right, and changing the right bits.

Untitled.jpg

Whats version of vcds are you using?