Brake Fluid change

GeoffT

Reaction score
Our car is a Sep 07 2.0tdi sportback. it is on variable servicing and required it's first service in May this year at around 18k miles.

Just had a call from the dealer saying that as it is 2 years old it needs the brake fluid changing, do I want to book it in? Estimated cost is £70. I said no because, firstly it seems ridiculous to be on variable servicing, yet still have annual maintenance as well, and secondly we have moved out of the area anyway, so if it really does need doing, it would be at a different dealer anyway.

What do you think? Is this just the dealer trying to drum up extra business, or is there really a need to change the brake fluid? If it really was going to need changing in 4 months time wouldn't/shouldn't they have mentioned it in May?

What do you think? Is this just the dealer trying to drum up extra business, or is there really a need to change the brake fluid? If it really was going to need changing in 4 months time wouldn't/shouldn't they have mentioned it in May?

They should have testers in workshops.
If brakefluid have lots of water in it then yes. If not or little ( 60000km service ) like in my case then no.
10pound bottle fluid and half an hour work.. that seems pretty high.

we recently paid just £45 for brake fluid change matey, seems to be an overpriced quote you got.

cal

It is time based - and actually not using the car much actually increases the amount of moisture absorbed by the brake fluid.

Two years is the general recommended safety interval - its not manufacturer specific, although as mentioned above, there are moisture testers you can buy to test your fluid....

There are a number of service items that aren't linked to the variable interval - brake fluid, cambelt, dsg oil change...

They're all listed in the service manual. Its only really the oil & filter changes and other inspection items that are covered variably....

It is time based - and actually not using the car much actually increases the amount of moisture absorbed by the brake fluid.

Two years is the general recommended safety interval - its not manufacturer specific, although as mentioned above, there are moisture testers you can buy to test your fluid....

There are a number of service items that aren't linked to the variable interval - brake fluid, cambelt, dsg oil change...

They're all listed in the service manual. Its only really the oil & filter changes and other inspection items that are covered variably....

If some things need checking on a time based system, to me this makes variable servicing a complete waste of time. I thought the idea was to limit service visits. If I am going to need to take it in twice in 2 years anyway, I would rather get it serviced annually, and know exactly when it was going to be due. Taking it in at 20 months and then again at 24 makes no sense.

The trouble now is that all time based services are going to be out of step with the main services. I think I will get the local garage to check the brake fluid and then switch to an annual service each September in future.

Pay for a service every year if you like - I'd prefer to pay for a service nearly every two years and fit the other items in around the same time it goes in for a service.

If you don't get the brake fluid changed religiously every 730 days, the brakes aren't going to stop working....

Just use a bit of give and take and common sense.

My car was five years old last week but has only done 49000 miles, so I'm not going to race in and get the cambelt changed this week, I'm going to get it changed when it goes in for a variable service in about three months time....

Similarly, if the brake fluid is due for a change every two years and my car's getting variably serviced every 22 months, then they can change the brake fluid at the same time....