EM TuningSky Insurance

Thread: 1,200 RPM

1st Gear

Status

1,200 RPM

Have noticed something funny with my car today, its a 2.0 TDi bkd engine with 60k on the clock. Whilst stationary and engine running, if i increase the revs to around 1,200 rpm and hold it there it feels as if the car is misfiring but if i increase the revs further then it smooths out and appears to be fine. Can anybody point me in the right direction ?

thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    try some injector cleaner and clean out the egr/imf/manifold.

If that doesnt work, more than likely to be the injectors.. I would think that the injectors are quite blocked so at low revs, only little fuel i gettin through!

Try some redex first - i use to run redex every month with mine and never missed a beat :D I also clean out the above and it felt smoother :D
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

1st Gear

Status
    I have only had the car a few weeks and as soon as I got it I ran some redex through the system so it should be clean ? Do you think that it could be an injector problem then as car appears to drive fine ?

thanks

2nd Gear

Status
    Kaz, i have a few rough problems wirth my engine and i think my car may need a good clean out, can you guide me as to how i go about cleaning the egr, imf, and manifold.

I have used Redex a few times, but i think a good clean up is needed.
    Audi A3 2.0TDi S-Line - Bose - AMD Remap - Pipercross Performance air filter - RNS-e Retrofit - RS4 style Alloys

6th Gear

Status
    this thread will help with the removal and just use carb cleaner and a toothbrush to clean the gunk out

Help - P3103 V157 - Motor Intake Manifold Flap - EGR Valve...How do i solve?
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

2nd Gear

Status
    Its not too hard to do it yourself....

Take the air filter pipe off for better access and then upclip the hose cip under it.

2 screws on the side, 3 underneath and 2 (or 3) holding it onto the EGR valve. Don't forget to replace the seals and the metal gasket (the seal is 3.30 !! Wt a rip! And clean out the EGR whie your at it with some carb-cleaner! (5 from Halfords) About 3 Hours Job with cuts and grazes free :D
    If you do get a minute, could you take a picture of this part and which screws i need to unscrew to clean it out.

Also, if i'm just cleaning it and putting it all back together, do i need a new seal?

cheers
    Audi A3 2.0TDi S-Line - Bose - AMD Remap - Pipercross Performance air filter - RNS-e Retrofit - RS4 style Alloys

1st Gear

Status
    Its strange because if i drive along in gear at about the 1,200 rpm mark the car doesn't judder or anything, its only when stationary and i bring the revs up does it become lumpy and feel like it is mis firing. Could it be a fuel problem or does anyone have any other ideas ?
    thanks

2nd Gear

Status
    Dave, what speed does your car idle at?

1st Gear

Status
    it idle's at under 1,000rpm

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeah, mine idles at about 800rpm which is where is stutters, at about 1200rpm, it shudders which you can feel if you sit in the car.

1st Gear

Status
    And if you increase the rev's past 1,200rpm it smooths out and doesn't shudder ?

2nd Gear

Status
    Correct yeah, and yours the same?

1st Gear

Status
    Yes mine is the same, perhaps they are all like it and there is nothin wrong with my car then ?

2nd Gear

Status
    Hmm possibly, but i deffinately dont think it feels right.

1st Gear

Status
    I agree with you on that, just out of interest when your car is warm how easy is it to start or does it crank over for a second or so before it starts ?

2nd Gear

Status
    WHEN WARM IT STARTS FINE, BUT WHAT I HAVE NOTICED IS WHEN COLD, IT SOMETIMES TAKES A SECOND OR SO LONGER, BUT, WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY, DO YOU HEAR A PUMP DOWN THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE CAR, TOWARDS THE REAR WHEELS? IT SOUNDS LIKE ITS PUMPING SOMETHING TO THE BACK OF THE CAR, NOW IF I TURN THE IGNITION ON, THEN OFF, THEN ON AGAIN (EFFICTIVELY MAKING THE PUMP GO TWICE BEFORE I START THE CAR) THEN IT STARTS FINE ALWAYS.

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, IM AT WORK

1st Gear

Status
    mine starts fine when cold, yes I can here the fuel pump as well. Tried on and off twice when warm but still take a couple seconds to start

2nd Gear

Status
    Ahh so is that the fuel pump?

I don't really have a problem starting. Have you tried using Redex to clean the fuel system? When i bought the car i used that a few times to clean the system out, and i now use it every 4,000 miles. The car drives fine, but its just this problem on idle.

I'm going to try and get to the garage at lunch today and will keep you updated.