Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport

Status

2.0TDI Exhaust Sensor/Flap failure?

Hi guys,

The yellow engine warning light flicked on in our 2004 Sportback 2.0TDI recently and while there were no obvious problems, I took it in to Hatfield Audi this morning to ask them to diagnose it, which they did free of charge while I waited.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the full details of the fault because I was expecting to take a copy of the work schedule away with me, and wasn't allowed, but the chap explained that an exhaust sensor or module had failed (he mentioned something about a flap!). I'm sure this isn't an airflow sensor, but the bill would be a whopping 454 - the part alone was a fraction over 245. It takes an hour to fit apparently but I didn't book it in there and then.

Does anyone have any idea exactly what this is? As I'm well out of warranty now I'm keen to understand what this might be before getting the dealer to fix it.

Any thoughts/comments welcomed.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

2. # ADS
    ADS

Boycie

Status
    Have you access to vagcom or know anyone with it? Fault V157 if my memory serves me correctly!

Sounds like the old throttle body which costs around that from audi and around 175 from Eurocarparts

Is your ECON light staying on permanently?

Check fuses 8 or 10 to see if they are blown.

Status
    Hi Boydie, thanks for the quick response. I don't have VAG-COM unfortunately, but the service guy didn't mention anything about a throttle body - this sounds much different! Good place to start though. The ECON light seems fine but I'll double-check the fuses later on.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent

Neutral

Status
    Sounds like the intake manifold flap and its associated motor, same as mine. This is attached to the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation).

As previous poster said, check your fuses (under the bonnet), if it sticks the f8 blows.

Have a read of this thread, seems not SO difficult for a DIY job

Help - P3103 V157 - Motor Intake Manifold Flap - EGR Valve...How do i solve?

T
    Last edited by tates1979; 9th September 2009 at 12:15. Reason: Adding more info

Boycie

Status
    Its a piss easy job to fix and shouldn't take an hour anyway!

You can have a go at removing it and cleaning it to see if its just clogged up but I would just recommend getting one from Eurocarparts for 70 less than what audi charge

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tates1979 View Post
    Sounds like the intake manifold flap and its associated motor, same as mine. This is attached to the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation).

As previous poster said, check your fuses (under the bonnet), if it sticks the f8 blows.

Have a read of this thread, seems not SO difficult for a DIY job

Help - P3103 V157 - Motor Intake Manifold Flap - EGR Valve...How do i solve?

T
    Nice one - that sounds more like the problem that was described. Will have a look. Thanks for the responses!

Status
    Just been out to check the fuse and F8 is still intact. However, the thread link above is perfectly detailed so it's time to roll up the sleeves!

Reverse Gear

Status
    yep sounds like the throttle body

i had the same problem, eurocarparts were great i ordered the part and got it the next day :D

its a common design fault and the newer throttle bodies have been made to overcome this

i beleive the teeth wear on the old ones as they are plastic but the newer ones are metal

i am a complete audi noob and it only took me half an hour to swap the throttle bodies over :D

was 175 for the throttle body and is very easy to change over

andy

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by makavelli View Post
    yep sounds like the throttle body

i had the same problem, eurocarparts were great i ordered the part and got it the next day :D

its a common design fault and the newer throttle bodies have been made to overcome this

i beleive the teeth wear on the old ones as they are plastic but the newer ones are metal

i am a complete audi noob and it only took me half an hour to swap the throttle bodies over :D

was 175 for the throttle body and is very easy to change over

andy
    Music to my ears (or eyes, since I'm reading it!). I've got a fair bit of DIY car mechanics experience so hopefully a swap really will be as straightforward as everyone says. Will clean out the EGR too if I can.

Cheers for the post!

Reverse Gear

Status
    my prob sounds very similar to his and could do with some advice on on it here goes
    Hi all i have an a4 turbo diesel 2004 and i ran it low on diesel last week and now when driving sometime s it happens its like the engine shuts down or loses power kinda shudder s revs drop if i accelarate hard a puff of black smoke out the exhaust and away it goes perfect sometimes this can happen every min for a bit other times like on a motorway it never happens so first i think i did was added injector cleaner to the diesel still no good so took to local garage today changed fuel filter and checked for errors it gave me p3105 intermittent and p 19561
    The code 19561 - Valve for Intake Manifold Flap (N239): Open or Short to Ground
    The code P3105 - Intermittent

so any suggestions what to do next all help appreciated

Boycie

Status
    valve for intake manifold flap suggests the throttle body - 175 from eurocarparts

Reverse Gear

Status
    but when it says open or short to ground does this indicate a short or that it needs new part

Boycie

Status
    Mine said the same thing but since it was intermittant, I replaced the unit anyway. It was also connected to my climate control and fuse number 8. once i replaced the throttle body, all problems went away!