Car won't get warm and fan keeps coming on

ru4shaw

Reaction score
i got a a3 on a 04 and for the past fer days the fan keeps coming on every few minutes while im driving and when i get out the car its very loud and the fan goes on at least twice even if i only move the car for 2 mins, i took the car out for 30mins yesterday and noticed the the temperature gauge stays on cold. im not getting any warning lights on the dash
does anyone know what this could be
thanks

Probably thermostat sticking, or possibly lack of coolant.
Check coolant level first, then get thermostat checked (or replace). Whatever you do, don't top up coolant with the engine hot if it is empty!

the gauge wont get walm at all so i was thinking to get a temp sensor and try that could that be the problem

Last edited:
Forget the gauge for now, do you get hot air from the heater blower?
If so, then I'd look at the thermostat, if not then more than likely lack of coolant. The fan comes on because the temp sender and fan switch are in different locations- at least they used to be ;-)
First and easiest task to do is check the coolant level in the expansion tank- engine COLD, unless you want to risk ending up with a face like the elephant man!

Last edited:
checked the coolant level and its ok but just now i let me girlfriend drive the car while a ran in the house to pick something up and she said she stalled it and wouldnt but on the third time it did and now its all running fine again
i have noticed that i top up the coolant maybe every month, is that normal

It does sound like a thermostat issue then.
No, you shouldn't be topping up the coolant at all, sounds like there's a leak somewhere. It might something as daft as the expansion tank cap seals going, or venting off even if your engine is getting too hot. As you are no doubt aware, there should be some air in the expansion tank, so don't overfill above the marked level- usually half way up the tank, or where the two halves are joined.

Either of those look ok. I've always used Haynes manuals in the past- useful for novice through to the expert mechanic. If you are a novice, then the step by step guides in Haynes can't be beaten! Those official Audi CD's/DVD's won't have step by step procedures in them, although the fault finding guides and tech spec will be very comprehansive.

Hope this helps
Si

alright thanks ill get one of the 2
i use to have the haynes for my old car but i dont think you can get it for the a3

As stated I think you should check the Thermostat.... but with the coolant loss sounds like you might have a blown head gasket if there aren't any leaks in the system.

Have you checked to see if the oil has turned like a milkly brown colour? or Residue on the cap?

As stated I think you should check the Thermostat.... but with the coolant loss sounds like you might have a blown head gasket if there aren't any leaks in the system.

Have you checked to see if the oil has turned like a milkly brown colour? or Residue on the cap?

Good one, I forgot about the old yoghurt in the oil cap!

Coolant sensor, read the fault codes and this may be an issue.

If you car has aircon?
The fans may be coming on for the air conditioning as they are switched by the aircon system pressure. On warm days the fans will come on straight away.

everything seems to be ok now after it stalled
how would i get the fault codes

You'll need one of those VAG-COM toys (PC based, expensive), or a handheld unit that plugs into the OBD port under the dash. A lot of garages and tuning shops have them. And Audi of course!