Going on a Euro Trip, what do I need ?

anton2015

Reaction score
I've decided that I'm going to go on a road trip to Europe as alot of people from here did. The pictures where awesome :)

Just thought you guys might give me some tips to driving in Europe (first time) or any nice places to visit ? defiantly going to the alps :icon_thumright:

To the car I will need to change the front tires as they are brand new budget ones which i can not stand, so any good ones u can recommend? How much are the F1s ?

Just looking for any stories or "heads up"

:superman:

i think you'll need some clean pants and socks, a tooth brush wouldnt go a miss either..

;)

Warning Triangle, First Aid kit (with a foil astronaut blanket), proof of ownership (V5), License and Insurance details for Germany, same again for France but you will also a flourescent vest/jacket and spare bulbs...

If you have a 'GB' sign on your number plate then you wont need one of those big GB stickers for most countries.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/compulsory_equipment.pdf

Hope this helps! :)

I did a road European road trip a couple of months ago. Beside the basics as mentioned we travelled light and pre planned nothing. Booked a boat to Spain and just travelled, through Spain, Millau bridge, South of France, Monaco, Italy, Alps/Switzerland, back into France, up to Luxembourg and back through Belgium/France to Calais. We didn't have a return boat or any hotels booked. Stayed as little or as long as we chose in any place place and when we'd drove enough we just stopped at any 2/3 star hotel. Top tip .... Tom Tom, if on the motorway we'd just hit navigate to POI/hotel, always got one and a lot cheaper than pre booking. We only took Euro's (cash) and did get caught out in Switzerland i.e. Swiss franc although they did except Euro's at the service station for the £30 cob we had!!

Looks like I got pretty much everything sorted now :)

I can't seem to find for the life of me that beutiful bendy road in the alps !!! can someone shine any light on it ?

Leaving 5am tomorrow morning :)

Camskills for tyres, but as you are going tomorrow, try and get Kwik-Fit to do a price match. They say that they don't, but a bit of bartering worked for me.

I haven't followed Unkle's linky, but I am sure that you have to have the HV vest in the cabin of the car for either France or Italy.

what tires would you recommend ? I'm looking for grip in dry and wet

Well living down here on the tip of the Alps here in Germany, the weather is already getting a little nipply in the mountains, and you have a chance of seeing some snow in the high bits. Even at lower altitudes where it doesn't snow, summer tires can get real hard at cold temps. You could throw some all season tires on but then you might be limited in your high speed excursions. So I'd say some good summer tires, and keep an eye on the weather forecast to avoid the mountains if wet weather is forecast.

Have fun!

Tom

Camskills for tyres, but as you are going tomorrow, try and get Kwik-Fit to do a price match. They say that they don't, but a bit of bartering worked for me.

I haven't followed Unkle's linky, but I am sure that you have to have the HV vest in the cabin of the car for either France or Italy.

I read an urban myth somewhere that when the French Police pull you over and ask you to get out of your car they do you if you don't put your hi vis jacket on straightaway.

Mine fits nicely in the drawer under the driver's seat.

And don't forget your headlight adapters.

Well if you are going to Eastern Europe make sure you take youre TomTom as Audi maps for Eastern Europe are a load of ***** as I am presently experiencing in Croatia.

I read an urban myth somewhere that when the French Police pull you over and ask you to get out of your car they do you if you don't put your hi vis jacket on straightaway.

Mine fits nicely in the drawer under the driver's seat.

And don't forget your headlight adapters.

Actually the Italian police do this all the time-they hang out at the toll plazas on the autostrada and stop you as you're pulling out. So definitely have one per passenger within an arm's length...:busted_cop:

Looks like I got pretty much everything sorted now :)

I can't seem to find for the life of me that beutiful bendy road in the alps !!! can someone shine any light on it ?

Leaving 5am tomorrow morning :)

Stelvio Pass...?

Thanks guys, looks like I'm all sorted, will bring back alot of nice photos I hope :D