JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Best way to launch Haldex

Hi Guys,

Going to be hitting the 1/4 mile track in the next couple of weeks with a few of my mates. Going to be up against a TTS, tuned ED30, new RS, Cupra R, Z4 3.0...so should be interesting!

Going to hopefully have the car Revo'd before then but wanted to ask what the best way is to launch with Haldex? Last time I ran the 1/4 mile my 60ft times were poor and the best I could manage was 14.4.

Any tips would be greatful!

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    is yours a dsg? if so, esp off, left foot on brake, into S or manual mode, rev and goooo!
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    I really don't think it would be a good idea to use LC on an S3 + revo. I can hear the clutch exploding from here
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Neutral

Status
    no DSG. Standard manual

Neutral

Status
    1. Throw everything you can from the car out (rear seats, front seat, spare tyre ... )
    2. drop clutch at 5000 rpm
    Last edited by A4_DTM; 7th September 2009 at 09:19.
    S3 2008, GT3076R 0.64 @ 1.55 bar, custom tubular manifold, Milltek TB decated, Autotech FSI pump, RS3 intank pump, RS4 injectors, RS4 hp rail valve, custom Twintercooler, AWE CCB intake. Forge DV, Forge OCC, LOBA SMF Clutch kit // REVO stage 4 dyno tuned >> 441.4HP, 499NM // H&R springs. whiteline Anti-lift kit and rear 24mm ARB // WOT box // KEI force 10 gunmetal 18'' wheels // Facelift rear lights // tinted windows // LED interieur & exterieur

Phantom black S3/

Status
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMPmCCA4kvE

the best way to launch is to apply the handbrake just a little bit, enough to hold the diff tense (otherwise the initial hit on the diff is too strong and you can break it) and than pump the revs up to 4100-4200 and than at the same time release the handbrake and the clutch, and you can see the result.
    Phantom Black S3/ APR stg 2+ / Forge CAI / APR HPFP / Miltek TBE / Forge DV / Forge Catch Tank / Forge T. body / VF Engine mounts / ECS EM / KW V3 / 19" BBS CH "Black" / 18" Team Dynamics Motorsort / Denso Iridium IK24 / Forge Twincooler / Helix Race Clutch + Flywheel / H&R ARBs / JVC Multimedia + TV Tuner / Kicker sound system over 3,000W RMS / TT-RS Steering wheel / Whiteline Anti-lift kit / Brembo Porsche GT2 BBK / soon: RECARO POLE POSITION SEATS,

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4_DTM View Post
    1. Throw everything you can from the car out (rear seats, front seat, spare tyre ... )
    2. drop clutch at 5000 rpm
    this doesnt work for me
    No matter what revs I get the car to, if i drop the clutch, the car just dies, revs drop out of boost and have to build up again.

Managed my quickest start the other day, revs at +-4200 and just slowly let clutch out until its biting,then drop the rest of it.
    Seems to give me a good hard launch. Dont know if its perfect though

Neutral

Status
    Unfortunately with stock S3 there is no way to launch the car, it has torque limiter in 1st gear
    S3 2008, GT3076R 0.64 @ 1.55 bar, custom tubular manifold, Milltek TB decated, Autotech FSI pump, RS3 intank pump, RS4 injectors, RS4 hp rail valve, custom Twintercooler, AWE CCB intake. Forge DV, Forge OCC, LOBA SMF Clutch kit // REVO stage 4 dyno tuned >> 441.4HP, 499NM // H&R springs. whiteline Anti-lift kit and rear 24mm ARB // WOT box // KEI force 10 gunmetal 18'' wheels // Facelift rear lights // tinted windows // LED interieur & exterieur

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4_DTM View Post
    Unfortunately with stock S3 there is no way to launch the car, it has torque limiter in 1st gear
    so get out of first gear asap!

as said, use the handbrake to hold on the line.

if your going for times, you can launch when your ready, dont rush it off the greens, just to beat the inevitable saxo next to you.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_S View Post
    so get out of first gear asap!

as said, use the handbrake to hold on the line.

if your going for times, you can launch when your ready, dont rush it off the greens, just to beat the inevitable saxo next to you.
    Good idea. Will launch when I am ready

3rd Gear

Status
    Blip the throttle at 4000rpm and let it rip.
    2012 RS3 / Daytona Grey / Alu pack / revo3+ / LOBA500P / LOBA CNC Intake pipe / LOBA HPFP / Forge Race FMIC / Milltek resonated exhaust / revo intake system / Devils own WMI / 20" BBS CH-R Titanium / H&R Monotube coilovers / H&R Anti Roll bars / Alu Roof rails / Hybrid RS grille / R8 paddle shifters /

1st Gear

Status
    Not exactly the same, but in my TT i rev at 5000, then at launch I slip the clutch trying to keep the revs at about 5000 till fully engaged so that I don't get bogged down.

The result is this 0-60 time after quite a bit of practice.

6th Gear

Status
    I got a 14.44secs quarter at the Pod in the A3 last year.

Turn off the ESP.
    Get 4000rpm on the boil.
    Bring the clutch in so its biting - just.
    Mash the throttle and let the Quattro do its thing!

3rd Gear

Status
    Don't forget to get someone to film the event and throw it up on youtube for the benefit of all us users.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
    the best way to launch is to apply the handbrake just a little bit, enough to hold the diff tense (otherwise the initial hit on the diff is too strong and you can break it)
    I'm pretty sure the haldex controller has an input from the handbrake and won't pre engage the clutch if it has a handbrake on signal. Which would mean only the front wheels are getting power until the handbrake is fully down.

The best way I found of launching was as someone above said, lots of revs and slipping the clutch so the engine doesn't bog down.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

Boycie

Status
    Does a revo remap not remove the torque limiter in first gear?

where do you get that digi pod from???

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydie View Post
    where do you get that digi pod from???
    I made it myself from blood sweat and tears, but you can also get them from racediagnostics.com

in action here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoONTn1Y_w

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
    I'm pretty sure the haldex controller has an input from the handbrake and won't pre engage the clutch if it has a handbrake on signal. Which would mean only the front wheels are getting power until the handbrake is fully down.

The best way I found of launching was as someone above said, lots of revs and slipping the clutch so the engine doesn't bog down.
    That is the point, to spinn the front wheels and than rear because on ruff surfaces there is no way to spinn all 4 wheels with less then 400 HP .. And this is proven the best start, try it