How to fit lowering Springs on an A3

locost47

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have got a set of H&R's 35mm springs and am going to have a go a fitting them today as the garage who was supposed to be doing the job let me down. I have fitted springs before on my previous cars but would appreciate a link/advice on the best way to do this on my A3. I have searched through the Forum for the 30mins and couldnt find what I was looking for. Thanks for your help:thumbsup:

i think you need spring compressors mate?

Not entirely sure though

They are no different to do than any other car mate, you will need compressors though. only fiddly bit is removing all the plastic crap in the engine bay to get to the top mounts. Not hard, just fiddly!

When I did my first A3 I found the fronts quite tricky!. The hardest part was removing the strut from the hub as it's a tight fit, you can get a spreader tool from VW for about £7 I believe but I can't remember the part number!. You'll also need spring compressors to strip the front struts and some means of undoing the nut on top probably a swan neck spanner but I have used a socket and mole grips with an allen key through the middle before!
The rears are a doddle.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated:beerchug: I got a bit trigger happy and decided to have a go fitting them before the Seat Cupra link was posted and in hindsight I seem to have done it the longer way by taking out the complete hub, strut assembly to do the spring change, but its all done now so I can chill out and admire my handywork..lol Thanks again:happy: