What's best thing to do? Paint!

Reaction score
Hi ppl

Whats the best think to do wit them chips and scraches?
To me there showing more and more each time i wash the car. Not sure what the dealer used but must have been good!
Because i couldnt see the scraches just the chips.
05092009020.jpg

Last edited:
Difficult with it being metallic. If it was flat, I'd touch it up, sand it and polish it. I'm not sure you'd get away with it on metallic paint. You could give it a go, even if it doesn't match up, it'd still look better than it does now.

Well im unsure about sanding it myself id mess it up lol. was thinking about buying touch up pen from audi tho?

Thats the laquer whats peeling with the look of it and you risk getting polish under some where you cant get it out easy,what panel is this on? i would just buy some laquer in an aerosol and touch it up,it will still look not good but should seal it so weather etc doesnt carry on getting underneath and lift the rest anymore

Just the laquer ? thought it was the paint as well?
It's on back panel just above and to the right for the s line badge drives side.

yea it looks like the top coat (laquer) is peeling off. happens quite often, get a little chip and from weather getting under it peels back, as said before, get a spray can. tape up around the area leaving a little gap so when you spray it goes fully over.

If you go down the touch-up route then try paints4u.com - much better than buying a touch-up pen from Audi.

Just supply the paint code and get a Scratch Master Kit including scratch cleaner, paint, lacquer, G3 liquid compound, wet 'n' dry and polishing cloth.

I used it on my Avus Silver A3 stone chips/scratches and it looks a lot better than before. Just make sure to buy a decent very small brush or the small paint spears that come with it.

So cant i touch it up then laquer it?
If i just laquer it im always going to be with few black marks ?

Personally i'd get chips away or an equivilant to do it. If you do it yourself it will never be great and will always annoy you. By the time you have bought all the stuff you need to do it, you could pay them £50 and jobs a good un!

Now that sounds good! If its no more than 50 quid tho !
Have you used chips away Lee?

yeah prices depend on the franchise owner so can vary. Used them a couple of times, their repair work is never 100% bodyshop standard but is is perfectly good enough for most people. The quality is down to the individual doing the job, not the company so ask about, there are plenty of other people in this sort of business these days.

Get an aerosol mixed at a decent paint supplier £15 ish probably same for laquer or £10,only other thing is get bottom of your tailgate blown in up to the the line just above where number plates fit,that would be ok,no need to blend to other panels because it doesnt wrap round on to quarters etc there

ok think body shop do this cheap?
im thick i know but laquer is clear right? so if the laquer has just come off why is it black not gray?:think:

Definately wants painting to be done correctly,its hard to tell from the pics how far its gone and how deep etc,but to be correct like i said any good paint shop should be able to lose the merge on the tailgate

Difficult with it being metallic. If it was flat, I'd touch it up, sand it and polish it. I'm not sure you'd get away with it on metallic paint. You could give it a go, even if it doesn't match up, it'd still look better than it does now.
step away from the vehicle....lol i started touching up stone chips on a mettalic silver s4 and all i can say is, its impossible to touch them up without making it worse i've just had my whole front end repainted cos i couldnt leave them alone..mettalic silvers and golds are the worst colour to try and repair..£ 200 down but lesson learnt

Ta ppl,
im getting it looked as well as a price!
so let you all know how it goes!
Cheers :thumbsup:
Dan

just make sure it blends in well, have a look in my profile pics in the new folder and look at the front end colour it shows in certain lights how difficult it is to match

no way your going to touch that up your self mate, and if you do u'l still be able to tell.

your going to have to get it blown in, and rightly as somebody says you wont have to paint any other panels, worst case get the surrounding panels mopped.

a decent body shop, will flat it down, spray part of it, and lacquer the whole panel.. you see some guys and they will only laquar that one part aswell, this will lead to problems later on, as if you get on the edge of it with tcut etc.. you will just start to work the lacquer away.