Quattro Tyre Replacement

Lapchien66

Reaction score
My front 2 need replacing, there's 6 months left on the rears, do I need to replace all 4 at once, or can I do the 2 fronts now and the rear 2 in a few months?

Thanks
Lapchien

You can replace tyres whenever so long as you match them by axle. So yeah do the fronts now the the rears later.

nah do the required ones now & unless you're noticing some serious grip issues then run until ready to change or with winter coming see if the rears hold out.

You could do fronts & stick on rear as they get less use tbh & run rears on fronts for while then swap fronts which will give you pretty much all 4 new tyres with maybe 3-6 months use of the previous old rears, all comes down to how you feel driving the car with tyre setup mate.

Personally I wouldnt touch goodyear again with barge pole, overpriced pieces of cack, I've used economy ones for ages & never had one problem not one & only ever had problems with one set of tyres & they were expensive goodyears on my s4 & they were absolutely *****, split for no reason, blew on one & dunlop refused to accept liability even though it was clear it wasnt my fault, idiots, never again buying expensive tyres as tbh economys have been 1st class on an S3, S4 & A3.

But each to there own.

This thread reminds me of the calibra turbo, its 4x4 used to explode if the tyres were slighty more worn on the front! Subarus can also suffer but never heard of a quattro of any type requuiring all 4 to be changed at the same time

.........and dont get me started on tyre snobs, read the reviews guys, Kumho's, Falkens, Avons FTW!!

.........and dont get me started on tyre snobs, read the reviews guys, Kumho's, Falkens, Avons FTW!!

Couldnt agree more with actual experience of all of them.

Couldnt agree more with actual experience of all of them.

What you want is VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTAs, these out perform all leading brands and cost the same as economy tyres!!

Just read some reviews & you arent far wrong or at all, might give a go next, plus you have the car I wanted next for a conversion, lol, love that engine in an avant with rs4 body as mate has, wickedly fast & economical at same time.

First time I have heard of tyre snob? Surely you buy what you want? What does that make people who by buy budget tyres...tyre pikeys?

Jeez guys. :confused:

Nothing worse than reverse snobism :yes: bit like guys running S3's when they could have a nice smartcar......

Last edited:
LMFAO, this evenings sparked a few chuckles, lol

That the brand of tyre you buy has any direct correlation to your social standing is the mysterious part. :faint:

OP: There are loads of tyre threads on here mate, but here is the link I routinely regurgitate to help out.

Edit: Paddy, nice oxymoron. :happy:

Last edited:
What i meant is that there are people out there who wouldnt even give a thought of putting a budget tyre on their car. Some people I work with assume that budget tyres = dangerous/crash/death and the P reg Ford KA they drive should only wear goodyears or Michelins because they are the dearest and they have heard of them!

Just a rule of thumb when buying tyres is dont disregard the cheap ones just because they have a weird sounding name!

I agree with the Vredersteins sentracs though, my dad just put a set of his Signum and says they are the best he has had on it and they were onl £58 each at the local place.

What i meant is that there are people out there who wouldnt even give a thought of putting a budget tyre on their car. Some people I work with assume that budget tyres = dangerous/crash/death and the P reg Ford KA they drive should only wear goodyears or Michelins because they are the dearest and they have heard of them!

Just a rule of thumb when buying tyres is dont disregard the cheap ones just because they have a weird sounding name!

I agree with the Vredersteins sentracs though, my dad just put a set of his Signum and says they are the best he has had on it and they were onl £58 each at the local place.

Lee, I see where you are coming from and agree with that. I too doubt that if you are only driving 30 miles a week in the city that you will need a >£100 tyre. I was looking at it from perspective of my type of mileage/roads and driving, etc. Hence thats why I pay for boots that have been tested and I know (hope) will keep me on the road.

This is a no win for anyone argument because its each to there own choice and opinion,but as AULDREEKIE mentioned a lot of hope is put into the tyres working when relied on,people spend thousands on engine mods,brakes,exhausts,ICE so whats point of been picky when coming to tyres? i have had experience with expensive & buget tyres but the major decider for me is look at the higher end cars of the market:porsche-ferrari-mercedes-bmw-bentley etc etc,the ones that rely on tyres working and stopping as they should at speeds and cornering and you will see not a budget tyre in sight where on the lower normal cars of the market will leave factory with just general everyday multi-use-fuel saving tyres

I dont see any argueing here, just a discussion about opinions.

As for look at what the supercars are running, well my S4 B6 wasnt a supercar but it was a fairly premium nice motor (no boasting either) & the goodyears were damn expensive, those are the only tyres that ever caused me grief as testament to others experienced same problems, not one budget/economy tyre has ever caused me grief, now go figure that one with the supercar tyre of choice, like I said its not an argument, just opinions, but my opinion surely from experience makes the whole theory of expensive so called top tyres are best, poppycock if you ask me.

Kumho's, Avons etc have all been exceptionally good for me in all conditions & in a few close braking incidents they all stood up well.

Wont touch Goodyears ever again, 1st because they were crap & 2nd cause there QC department dont know there arseee from there elbow, law unto themselves & if you dont agree they advise to seek external advice which to test a tyre is literally hundreds so whichever way you go you lose, as I said law unto themselves.

I brought Goodyear's because i thought they were a budget tyre.....But then i am very very posh dont you know.....

Last edited:
Good thread, I was going to get F1's but am reconsidering now!

As for look at what the supercars are running, well my S4 B6 wasnt a supercar but it was a fairly premium nice motor (no boasting either) & the goodyears were damn expensive, those are the only tyres that ever caused me grief as testament to others experienced same problems, not one budget/economy tyre has ever caused me grief, now go figure that one with the supercar tyre of choice, like I said its not an argument, just opinions, but my opinion surely from experience makes the whole theory of expensive so called top tyres are best, poppycock if you ask me.

Kumho's, Avons etc have all been exceptionally good for me in all conditions & in a few close braking incidents they all stood up well.

Wont touch Goodyears ever again, 1st because they were crap & 2nd cause there QC department dont know there arseee from there elbow, law unto themselves & if you dont agree they advise to seek external advice which to test a tyre is literally hundreds so whichever way you go you lose, as I said law unto themselves.
Admit though mate its crap when a reputal company if it is there fault wont admit it,we have had many tyres split at work just trying to get them over the rim and they have come out with stuff like miss use of equipment when fitting them and other bull even though we do thousands a year,i didnt mean an argument that was not probably correct word to start,i meant there is that many different peoples views of what is best, everyone is correct and wrong to others

How many years ago was this? because about 5 years ago there was a huge amount of F1's in the country that were actually fake imports from China. Every back street tyre shop and a few good ones too were lapping them up on the cheap. My brother got a set on his VR6 Corrado and they litterally fell apart!

What you want is VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTAs, these out perform all leading brands and cost the same as economy tyres!!

Just fitted Four 225/40/18 VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA'S, 2nd set - 1st set done just short of 20k, could have got the full 20k but MOT coming up etc,
Brilliant tyres, if your in the South-East try Elite Tyres at Rainham Essex, Great Service, Supplied, Fitted & Balance and Alignment check £449 inc Vat, Great Deal!!!

56-Reg A3 2.0 TDI Quattro S-Line Sport-Back

Rgds Tom

I brought Goodyear's because i thought they were a budget tyre.....But then i am very very posh dont you know.....

Snob, lol

Good thread, I was going to get F1's but am reconsidering now!

Good move overall & save you fair whack

Admit though mate its crap when a reputal company if it is there fault wont admit it,we have had many tyres split at work just trying to get them over the rim and they have come out with stuff like miss use of equipment when fitting them and other bull even though we do thousands a year,i didnt mean an argument that was not probably correct word to start,i meant there is that many different peoples views of what is best, everyone is correct and wrong to others

Yeah truly amazes me in the sectors that the manufacturers dont even consider there distributors returns to be down to manufacturing faults or materials not upto scratch, especially when you're selling thousands of the products, one way to turn you of there products huh depending on profit line, but they are a law to themselves.

How many years ago was this? because about 5 years ago there was a huge amount of F1's in the country that were actually fake imports from China. Every back street tyre shop and a few good ones too were lapping them up on the cheap. My brother got a set on his VR6 Corrado and they litterally fell apart!

2 years ago mate so isnt them also from Elite Direct who arent a small outfit & certainly wouldnt sell fakes as my tyre was sent to Goodyear for testing & they didnt say was fake.

Just fitted Four 225/40/18 VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA'S, 2nd set - 1st set done just short of 20k, could have got the full 20k but MOT coming up etc,
Brilliant tyres, if your in the South-East try Elite Tyres at Rainham Essex, Great Service, Supplied, Fitted & Balance and Alignment check £449 inc Vat, Great Deal!!!

Yeap dealt with Elite number of times myself & always been very good service overall so I too recommend

I didn't read every post in here so I dont know if it's allready been said, so bare with me...

I'm no mechanic or tyre expert, I don't even own a 4WD car lol! but I was always led to believe on an all wheel drive vehicle, it is advisedl to change all 4 tyres together, as worn/older tyres will generally have lower thred depth on them naturally and thus the tyre itself will have a smaller diameter in comparison to the new tyres awhich is not good for the centre diff.

Is this a load of cobblers?

Last edited:
...Personally I wouldnt touch goodyear again with barge pole, overpriced pieces of cack, I've used economy ones for ages & never had one problem not one & only ever had problems with one set of tyres & they were expensive goodyears on my s4 & they were absolutely *****, split for no reason, blew on one & dunlop refused to accept liability even though it was clear it wasnt my fault, idiots, never again buying expensive tyres as tbh economys have been 1st class on an S3, S4 & A3.

But each to there own.

I can completely understand Dunlop refusing to accept liability, as although it obviously wasn't your fault, I doubt you'd ever be able to prove that it was their fault a Goodyear split. ;)

I didn't read every post in here so I dont know if it's allready been said, so bare with me...

I'm no mechanic or tyre expert, I don't even own a 4WD car lol! but I was always led to believe on an all wheel drive vehicle, it is advisedl to change all 4 tyres together, as worn/older tyres will generally have lower thred depth on them naturally and thus the tyre itself will have a smaller diameter in comparison to the new tyres awhich is not good for the centre diff.

Is this a load of cobblers?

Maybe, but with haldex it's basically a clutch, which has an almost constant (variable) slip, no centre diff.

:thumbsup:

Well the tyre admitted by them had no signs of road damage, cuts etc, no reason at all for the split, go figure that for £150-£200 tyre & sometime back someone else on here had identical damage & his image was exactly the same as my tyre

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=68998&highlight=split+tyre

Also seen links to another site with others with same damage on the exact same tyres, so I would take a stab its a manufacturing issue here not all coincidental & not from same dealer either.

I never swapped all 4 on my previous s3 & s4, never had any issues with 4wd systems, but admittedly I had habit of doing pairs just for better even ness on roads as its amazing how much the minimal of difference on tyres can cause major noise or bad driving feeling through the wheel.

oops, lol, gotcha, slow today cause of the painful job of turbo replacement finale yesterday, my god sore.

:laugh: You missed my point. I doubt you'd ever get Dunlop to pay for a Goodyear, maybe Goodyear would pay for a faulty Dunlop, but not the other way around.

They are now the same company just different brands. All the tyre distibution and returns testing is done at Fort Dunlop in Birmingham.

Just put 4 new f1 assemetrics on mine brilliant tyre no tyre snob er just had a pirelli shred on me ,that doesnt make pirelli a bad company or make me pull em to bits just cos i had a problem with em, goodyear almost always come out on top in most tests,fact, theres goto be some reason for that i bought them cos there a good tyre to me no roadnoise good grip etc so each member has there own opinion so best advice buy what you want.

They are now the same company just different brands. All the tyre distibution and returns testing is done at Fort Dunlop in Birmingham.

:banghead: I don't know why I bother. It was meant to be a quick little joke pointing out how it read if people didn't know they were related companies.

If you want to get technical, as I said, Goodyear may pay for failed Dunlops, but Dunlop wouldn't pay for failed Goodyears. Goodyear own roughly a 75% stake in Dunlop. Asking Dunlop to accept responsibility for a failed Goodyear, is like asking Volvo to pay for dodgy Mondeo. Ford may ultimately pay for a replacement Volvo, but it wouldn't happen the other way around.

:banghead: I don't know why I bother. It was meant to be a quick little joke pointing out how it read if people didn't know they were related companies.

If you want to get technical, as I said, Goodyear may pay for failed Dunlops, but Dunlop wouldn't pay for failed Goodyears. Goodyear own roughly a 75% stake in Dunlop. Asking Dunlop to accept responsibility for a failed Goodyear, is like asking Volvo to pay for dodgy Mondeo. Ford may ultimately pay for a replacement Volvo, but it wouldn't happen the other way around.

OK calm down I didnt get you little "in" joke. Sorry.

I use f1 assemetrics and they work for me...I never skimp on tyres or oil....
I get 15k miles out of a set of f1 assemetrics ..sure firestone are cheaper but i destroyed a set in 7k miles !
I get about 1.5K miles out of a back tyre on my Yam R1 and they are £150 each so £110 for an F1 ad 15k miles is cheap imho.