RS3 is go and will be at Frankfurt in September 09

Went to the IAA too - only new A3 I saw was the 1.2 (!) Turbo. Other end of the scale that!

Mighty fine looking model posing next to the eTron though ;-)

Went to the IAA too - only new A3 I saw was the 1.2 (!) Turbo. Other end of the scale that!

Mighty fine looking model posing next to the eTron though ;-)

Yes I would agree with that. I'm sure my wife thought I was trying to get a some good pictures of the car!!

I was at the IAA and only got as far as the A5s on the Audi stand. Looked lustfully at the A5 Sportback, because I reckon it's lovely. Realised that although I can afford one at the moment, mine would be a front-drive manual with wooden seats, and walked away a little depressed.

Joined the dribbling crowd at the SLS AMG then :(

Informed today at the dealers that the RS3 will happen,sooner rather than later on the current platform. The guy I spoke to said he had asked at the TTRS launch if a RS3 would be built, the answer was yes. I was on the verge of ordering a new S3 but have now decided to wait. Get your finger out Audi I've got really itchy feet and want a new car, please.

Mark

MMMMmmmm thats got me thinking, if they do make it I reckon it will be about £37K I base this on the current pricing structure for the TT range, TTs = £33450, TTrs = £43,000. As long as the kit is good, expensive but I'd be very, very tempted, my biggest dilema will be it's likely to be 3 door only and if I'm honest so it should be.

If there is an RS3 there will be an RS3 sportback and like the A3 and the S3 it will be better than the 3 door version.

If there is an RS3 there will be an RS3 sportback and like the A3 and the S3 it will be better than the 3 door version.

They may well do a S/B, but i much prefer the 3 door. Had a look at a S3 S/B today, just doesn't look right to me.

Mark

The 3 door is certainly better looking to my eyes but if you have any kids the extra praticality makes up for it, plus you can spec buckets witrh no access issues.

Dads need to have fun too :)

I just found these pics don't know if these are re-post but the front is mean looking, im defo gonna trade my s3 in for a rs3 if it looks like this from the front!:hubbahubba:

Rs3copy.jpg

rs31.jpg

Haz

I just found these pics don't know if these are re-post but the front is mean looking, im defo gonna trade my s3 in for a rs3 if it looks like this from the front!:hubbahubba:Haz

I haven't seen these before,looks like a sportback and it has the facelift lights and mirrors. Looks the business though, kind how you would expect the RS3 to look.

Mark

I've seen those photos before a few months back. If that is the RS3 it does look good and means business! And i do like the exhaust and lower valance at the back. Wonder what the alloys will be like.

That looks stunning. Only problem is the price tag. Need another job LOL :)

Lol Martyn while you get another job i'll take your pride and joy off your hands, she will be going to a good home :):p

The 3 door is certainly better looking to my eyes but if you have any kids the extra praticality makes up for it, plus you can spec buckets witrh no access issues.

Dads need to have fun too :)

True Spin - but I have 2 kids in my 3 door every day and I'm not sure what the extra practicality of the SB is. You get no more room in the rear - just extra doors. But putting kids into childseats from the side is a pain anyway - even if I had a SB I'd still crouch in the footwell and do it face-on to the kids as I do in my 3 door now.
The only benefit I see is a larger boot - better for family holidays maybe ?

In my experience the Sportback drives slightly better, it's a more balanced car.

True Spin - but I have 2 kids in my 3 door every day and I'm not sure what the extra practicality of the SB is. You get no more room in the rear - just extra doors. But putting kids into childseats from the side is a pain anyway - even if I had a SB I'd still crouch in the footwell and do it face-on to the kids as I do in my 3 door now.
The only benefit I see is a larger boot - better for family holidays maybe ?

There is more room in the back, being tall I have the drivers seat all the way back. In the 3 door version I took for a test drive you cant sit behind me as the drivers seat almost touches the rear seats. In the SB version I bought there is pleanty of room. Having said that, if you dont have your drivers seat all the way back it makes no difference.

For me its 5 door everytime, who wants to be outside getting wet while you wait for the passengers to get in the back.

There is more room in the back, being tall I have the drivers seat all the way back. In the 3 door version I took for a test drive you cant sit behind me as the drivers seat almost touches the rear seats. In the SB version I bought there is pleanty of room. Having said that, if you dont have your drivers seat all the way back it makes no difference.

For me its 5 door everytime, who wants to be outside getting wet while you wait for the passengers to get in the back.

Sorry but I just don't believe you. Have a look at the exact dimensions drawings from Audi here http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=2099&page=4 and you will see that the Sportback has 2mm more room in the back than the 3 door version. That is enough to get a Swan Vesta match in (just). These are Audi's own dimensional drawings ......

Hmm, that's odd. According to these diagrams the only difference in interior space comes after the rear seats.

S3-coupe-v-sportback.jpg

Red keyline = Sportback
Blue keyline = Coupe

The drawings clearly show that the 3-door and the SB are the same, but I had the exact same experience with Scottiej1979 :blush: Two of my friends are quite tall and the SB seems to accommodate their legs better. One of them actually owns an A3 1.6 3 door. He commented on the space every single time he got in the car. :uhm:

:iagree: too -
You can't argue with the manufacturers own mathematical measurements of space so what else could it be but a psychological mistake ?

Space would be the last thing on my mind, that is just truly stunning. . Think I should start saving!

Any interiors pictures because I can't find any?

People are always suprised at how much room there is in the back of my 3dr however before seeing those drawings i would swear the SB is much bigger......when in fact theres only a few inches in it, even the roofline is hardly any different!!

and I see no reason for a 5dr SB RS3, for practicllity most people who have north of 40k to spend on a serious performance hatch will have plenty to buy the wife a Zafira/S-Max/Scenic so the kids dont end up being sick because your hurtling around bends and doing 160mph+

Last edited:
Well looks like my eyes need testing, all I can say is go to an Audi dealer and ask to look in the back of a 3 door and a SB and see if there is a difference. I know the drawings may say one thing (I have even done the maths below) but I know what I saw in both types of cars.

SB dimensions 1544 - 831 = 713 space in back seat
3 door dimensions 1511 - 796 = 715 space in back seat

and I see no reason for a 5dr SB RS3, for practicllity most people who have north of 40k to spend on a serious performance hatch will have plenty to buy the wife a Zafira/S-Max/Scenic so the kids dont end up being sick because your hurtling around bends and doing 160mph+

Some people simply prefer the sportback, it has nothing to do with getting the kids in the back. How many doors does an RS4 have? Is that a family car?

How many doors does an RS4 have? Is that a family car?

RS4 is not a hot hatch, In my opinion hot hatch should be 3 door, never saw an original Golf GTi with 4 drs, when they did with the later ones they looked crap also for the same reason I do not like the S3 sportback.

Mark

In my experience the Sportback drives slightly better, it's a more balanced car.

How ? The Sportback is 40kg heavier than the 3door with all the extra weight at the back of the car. Does that mean all I have to do to enjoy the greater balance of a Sportback is put a sack of spuds on my back seat ? Sorry - don't buy it. Don't believe anyone but the most talented and experienced racing driver could discern the difference in balance which 40kg would offer on a 1.5 ton car. [I'm not suggesting you're not such a driver by the way - just that most people won't be able to discern the difference.]

Some people simply prefer the sportback, it has nothing to do with getting the kids in the back.

True - there's no accounting for taste :)

Some people simply prefer the sportback, it has nothing to do with getting the kids in the back. How many doors does an RS4 have? Is that a family car?

Show me a 3dr A4 (ex cab) and i'll show you why they had to make them with 4!;)

Same applies to mitsu Evos and such like

How ? The Sportback is 40kg heavier than the 3door with all the extra weight at the back of the car. Does that mean all I have to do to enjoy the greater balance of a Sportback is put a sack of spuds on my back seat ? Sorry - don't buy it. Don't believe anyone but the most talented and experienced racing driver could discern the difference in balance which 40kg would offer on a 1.5 ton car. [I'm not suggesting you're not such a driver by the way - just that most people won't be able to discern the difference.]

True - there's no accounting for taste :)

Damn that throws out the theory Corsa/Saxo owners have of folding the down the rear seats for better balance!

The A3/S3 are nose heavy, the sportback is less nose heavy so it is better balanced. Try taking 40Kgs off the front of a A3 and tell me it doesn't handle better.

I never bought a sportback for more space its just I find it much easier from a family perspective especially if it's raining. I'll agree the 3 door is better looking but you can't sensibly have a 3 door and spec or retro fit buckets if you need access to the rear.

Each to their own I guess.

Anyway is there going to be an RS then ? :)

What makes me laugh is that until we see an official press release from Audi, the RS3 doesn't exist!

Oh, 3 door S3 the looker, but Sportback (in the right colours) looks cool too IMO. e.g. ibis sportback looks like an astra van, but in black - looks OK.

Last edited:
What would you know about looks HB?

You`re buying a 1 series.......:whistle2:

:lmfao: It's in the eye of the beholder Sir. I'll be the first to admit my 5-door 1 series is a bit visually challenged but I'm far more interested in the correct, real-wheel-drive layout and creamy-weamy 3 litre straight six....

:hi:

We have an 8yr old, and me and the wife have only ever had 3dr cars.
So far Ive never felt I needed a 5dr.

I do use the back seats fairly regularly so it means Buckets have been out of the question. Which has never bothered me TBH as I quite like the std chairs.
The SBs in the right paint/wheel combo look good, so I would certainly never rule one out.

Cheers
Paul

Waiting for people of any size to get in an out of the back of a 3-door really bugs me...just impatient I suppose :meeting:

Of course, I wouldn't turn down a 911 because it didn't have enough doors, and certainly wouldn't want a Panamera instead :puke:

Yowser - Astra van? :huh:

lol @ Spin. I wonder if you and Toby could get your own fleet going, fastest couriers in UK for sure. I think that the SB in Ibis (especially with Open Sky) looks great. I wouldn't go for SB myself, but I do prefer the look of it from the derriere aspect.