Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    Sem
    1st Gear

Status

Facelift owners with DRL's, headlight question

My car is 10 months old and i've noticed the inside of the headlight lenses have a few water spots on them (I have xenons with DRL's). The headlights have misted up occasionally when i've driven in heavy rain which I think has caused the marks.

I know headlights are not a sealed unit, they all have ventilation holes in them.

Have any other facelift owners noticed the same? Do you think this would be a valid warranty claim?
    2008 (58) Audi A3 2.0TDI S-Line
    Phantom Black, Xenons, RNS-E etc...

2. # ADS
    ADS

``!!$al ---

Status
    Hi Sem,

Sorry to hear .. After reading your post i checked my car's headlight unit and they are perfectly fine .. No water spots .. I myself drove in heavy rain yesterday down to manchester on M62 .. Will keep an eye and check headlights everyday i suppose .

Sal
    '12 Merc Benz C250 AMG Sport Auto
    '11
    BMW 325i Sports Coupe
    (Sold)
    '11 Merc Benz C250 Sport
    (Sold)
    '59
    A3 2.0 TDI Black Edition (Sold)
    '08 Mini John Cooper Works (Write Off)
    '09 A3 2.0 TDI Black Edition (Sold)
    '58 BMW 120M Sport (Sold)

On Wish List : Merc CL63 AMG Coupe

2nd Gear

Status
    Got the same light set up though no problems here, know VAG have had problems with headlight misting on a lot of the Seat range.
    2009- Phantom Black A3 S Line Black Edt 2.0T
    2008 - 2009 Emocian red Seat Ibiza FR TDi running p-torque stage 1 (STOLEN)
    2005 - 2008 Black Magic 1.4 Seat Ibiza Sport (PX ed)

Quote Originally Posted by Sem View Post
    My car is 10 months old and i've noticed the inside of the headlight lenses have a few water spots on them (I have xenons with DRL's). The headlights have misted up occasionally when i've driven in heavy rain which I think has caused the marks.

I know headlights are not a sealed unit, they all have ventilation holes in them.

Have any other facelift owners noticed the same? Do you think this would be a valid warranty claim?
    I would very much doubt that Audi would consider any warranty claim on the headlights because there is the following phrase in the Owner's Manual...

In cool or damp weather, the inside of the headlights and turn signal or rear lights sometimes mist up, due to the temperature difference between the interior and exterior of the car. They should clear again partially or completely soon after you switch on the headlights. This phenomenon has no influence on the life expectancy of the vehicle lights.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Sem
    1st Gear

Status
    Thanks Dave, the manual doesn't mention the headlights may also get permanently stained though, you can't clean the inside of the lenses! Maybe mine are misting up more than normal?

I think i'll pop over to the dealer on Friday and get them to take a look.

2nd Gear

Status
    Had mine changed under warranty due to to condensation/misting stains on the inside

Sem
    1st Gear

Status
    Excellent news, any chance you could PM me your vehicle details just in case Audi refuse, I could then refer them back to your case.

Cheers.