Badger5EM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Buying A3 TDI 170 Help!

Hey guys,
    Im new to this and would appreciate any info on buying an A3 tdi 170 2006/2007.Ive heard lots of mixed reviews about them. Has any one had gearbox or turbo problems or any other problems to look for? Is the quattro good in a diesel? I do short drives around London.Will cause the DPF to play up? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    mixed views on them - personally i have had no probs with the dpf mine has worked flawlessly (my tailpipes still look brand new after 2.5 years - swear there is only fresh air coming out of this thing) but mine is an s-tronic - and i suspect the s-tronic suits the dpf better as the dpf seems to communicate to the gearbox and change gear shift points accordingly to keep the dpf from clogging (never seen light once and i have done 10k in mine all round town work hardly any motorway) thats sais i think because of this i dont get great mpg for a diesel - i generally only average 32mpg and that isnt hammering it everywhere either - on a good run it does still do 50s though

Full speed ahead

Status
    I've got a Jan 2007 170 quattro 6sp manual and can thoroughly recommend it. Driving is a mix of short town hops & long distance motorway hacks. No issues with DPF or gearbox so far (fingers crossed!) and the quattro is well worth the investment IMHO as it gives the car amazing grip in all weathers - it goes round corners like it's on rails.
    Daytona RS4 Avant :: black optics

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm not saying ignore everything you read but I was also really concerned with the possibility of DPF issues after researching the model. I've had my car for almost 12 months and covered circa 8,000 miles without any DPF issues. I use it for a mix of short and long journeys.

Really happy with mine.
    A3 2.0TDI 170 Sport

1st Gear

Status
    Quattro is a must - getting that amount of torque down through just the front wheels is not a good plan.
    S3 Sportback DSG in Sprint Blue with mag ride, interior lights, Bose, parking sensors.

and...

99 TT Roadster

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Sharp View Post
    Quattro is a must - getting that amount of torque down through just the front wheels is not a good plan.
    Rubbish, only get quattro if you fancy spending the extra cash for no real reason other than the one day of the year it snows.
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

Full speed ahead

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    Rubbish, only get quattro if you fancy spending the extra cash for no real reason other than the one day of the year it snows.
    Stuff n nonsense Lee. I defy you to drive a 170 TDI 2wd vs 4wd on the twisty bits, especially when it's wet, and still come away thinking the 2wd is better!
    Daytona RS4 Avant :: black optics

Top Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by maars View Post
    Stuff n nonsense Lee. I defy you to drive a 170 TDI 2wd vs 4wd on the twisty bits, especially when it's wet, and still come away thinking the 2wd is better!
    Ive never had a problem driving on the twisty bits in mine and rains all the time in England, all the quattro does is give you extra assurance which isnt needed in a car with this power & torque. The trade off to have a quattro means no s-tronic gear box which i absolutely love so unless your thinking about remaps and all the rest of it i dont think a quattro is benficial. Why don't Audi offer a 170 quattro s-tronic?
    2007 57 A3 Diesel Hatchback 2.0 TDi 170 S-line 3dr S-Tronic
    Extras - Black Styling Pack, Xenon Headlights, Privacy Glass, 18" 20 Spoke Alloy Wheels, Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, IPOD connection, BOSE sound system, De-badged Rear Tailgate

6+1 Gears

Status
    I don't think quattro is a must unless you're planning to drive fast on bends. Mine is 2wd with DSG and until now I had no problem at all with grip, not even in the winter on mountain twisted roads. I wouldn't trade DSG for quattro.
    @Munnzzz: Starting this year Audi is offering DSG+quattro on 2.0 TDI. Until now I saw it is available only on the 3dr type and the engine is a CR 170HP version.
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Sharp View Post
    lol, you are joking right ?? lol, you don't need a Quattro at all !, not sure why you would even consider paying the money for it in this country, i can see the benefit if we have bad winters for snow etc, but as for the need because fo the torque !, that's funny ! lol