Clarification....et 35 lol

Tommy

Makinen...ha
Reaction score
19" wheels with an offset of 35 will not fit an a3, am i right?!

No, they WILL fit they will be very flush with the arch. To avoid rubbing, I would wear 215/35/19s. My new wheels I've ordered are ET45, I will wear a 10mm on the back to make ET35, and possibly 10mm front too, who knows...

what about with a 40-50mm drop?!

Are we talkin risky business or will they definitely fit with no rubbing?!

Shud be fine man to be fair.....here is lomax's Mk5 he is running ET30 on a 19"x8.5J rim, Mk5s arches are the same to the A3 in respects of offsets etc...

SickGolfGTI2.jpg

are they 215 tyres?! sstttrreeeeeeeeeeetccchhhhh!!!

Looks ****** awesome though!

They are 215 on a 8.5J rim. Not that much stretch, still very driveable without worrying about lips etc....I have a 215 on 9J! Thats stretchy..

i love stretched tyres but curbs scare me to death with expensive rims lol, you think 40mm down will look decent with 19" rims? or not low enough?

I presume lomax removed the arch liners in his car to stop them rubbing - my mate would have had to do that with his lm's on his gti but he decided against it.

it might be extra work but the stance on the golf is perfect...what wheels are they bbs lms or dotz roadster..? look nice anyway

its also dependant on the width of your wheels 9s with and ET35 will rub constantly but an 8 might be ok with stretch

its also dependant on the width of your wheels 9s with and ET35 will rub constantly but an 8 might be ok with stretch

Yes that is true Simon. 19x8 or 19x8.5 will be fine, but ET41 is the lowest offset with a 9J rim, i.e. the Bentleys Si - your favourite :ninja:

They are very close, but they're not exact.

Very Very similar then, all I know is that wheels sit better in the A3s arches anyway :rockwoot:

I have a mate with 18x8 ET42 on his Mk5 GTI and they stuck out ever so slightly from the guards at the front wheels, but snuck in ever so slightly when he swapped to an A3 quattro and kept the same wheels.

So, yeah, very close, but there's a bit of difference.

I need to try the old girl's BBS CKs on my car and compare the diff to her GTI, as well.

Last edited:
A set of 19" LM's on my car will fit perfectly but when on a golf, they will rub like hell when lowered

The arches are different - same thing happend when we tried my CH's on the golf too

IMO 19s look too big on Golfs but look perfect on the A3

gays....lol

any more pics of that golf?!

Or a link to the pics/thread

Nice MkV! It's GTI, not a Golf. Give the guy a little credit. :beerchug:

Anyhow, I just put on 19x8.5 ET45 wheels with 235/35/19's and they fit very flush with the sides now. The problem is that on abnormal aberrations in the road, they will rub. I'm sure lower profile tires (like the 215s other people described) will be just fine though.

IMG_0004_2.JPG

Nice MkV! It's GTI, not a Golf. Give the guy a little credit. :beerchug:

Anyhow, I just put on 19x8.5 ET45 wheels with 235/35/19's and they fit very flush with the sides now. The problem is that on abnormal aberrations in the road, they will rub. I'm sure lower profile tires (like the 215s other people described) will be just fine though.

We were talking about Golfs in general, after all, this is an audi forum, so expect a little bias :laugh: Your wheels will appear flush as you have alot of sidewall, 215s aren't lower profiles, they are narrower tyres so the sidewall will appear smaller when fitted on a 19" x 8J or 19" x 8.5J rim.

Nath :hi:

Blimey, Alessio Monzas! Had a set of them 8 years ago on a Mondeo ST24 (Contour SVT to Americans) Still looking sweet today! ;)

Blimey, Alessio Monzas! Had a set of them 8 years ago on a Mondeo ST24 (Contour SVT to Americans) Still looking sweet today! ;)

They DO look like the Monzas! I got them from a local American company (VMR Wheels, the 709s).

N8KOW said:
We were talking about Golfs in general, after all, this is an audi forum, so expect a little bias

I was just giving you guys a friendly hard time. I am partial to GTIs as well but love my A3. :racer:

Audi steering wheel !!! well i like that bit at least :lmfao:

I was just giving you guys a friendly hard time. I am partial to GTIs as well but love my A3. :racer:

To be fair, cuz of lomax's Mk5, I now have a soft spot for them :wub:, but my friend still says they are a poor man's audi, made up of left over parts from audi chucked in the skip :laugh:

Audi steering wheel !!! well i like that bit at least :lmfao:

I know RS4 :hubbahubba:

Yes that is true Simon. 19x8 or 19x8.5 will be fine, but ET41 is the lowest offset with a 9J rim, i.e. the Bentleys Si - your favourite :ninja:

indeed i absolutely loved the way the car looked with them on but the stretch needed in the tyres was no use for every day use and lifting the car up was not an option

Lomax lives up in aberdeen so ive seen the car a few times it is indeed an awesome car those wheels are lush i was going to get some but they were 2700 without tyres

Last edited:
Ah yes but i wouldn't walk into an Audi dealership and say....i would like to buy a golf please........

but then i am never going to walk into a Volkswagen dealership and say...I would like to buy a golf either ....:wacko: ( I hope):lmfao:

nothing wrong with Golfs!

I was going for a mk5 GT TDI but when looking on the second hand market, the A3's were only around 500-1000 more and you get a much better spec with the audi than the golf. It was a no brainer for me!

ie - Hard to find the Golf with DSG, even rarer with leather, smaller alloys ;)

indeed i absolutely loved the way the car looked with them on but the stretch needed in the tyres was no use for every day use and lifting the car up was not an option

Lomax lives up in aberdeen so ive seen the car a few times it is indeed an awesome car those wheels are lush i was going to get some but they were 2700 without tyres

Yeah I remember you saying. I've got 215/35/19s Pirelli P Zero Neros on mine, they aren't as stretchy as falkens or the toyos you had, so mine is fine for everyday! I chat to lomax on msn, he's telling me of all his current mods, very very nice! They were £2.3k without tyres :moa: Also they are now discontinued :confused:

Hi Mitch
I had a VR6 and the finish was awful !!, the sun roof leaked and the button broke off, the heater control cables snapped, the light switch broke. It was a few years ago but compared to the finish on my Audi !! well there is no comparison. I wont mention the corrosion under the lacquer on the BBS's !!
I am sure there are good golfs but you know how it is once you have had your fingers burnt