AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Tappy from cold?

Hi all,

Recently done an oil change on my S3, and used Mobil 1 Super S 10W40 oil.

I used this because my friend works at a garage, and checked on a programme called "Auto Data" which stated we use this.

My car now sounds slightly tappity when the engines cold, as soon as it's warm it sounds fine though.

Is this anything to worry about?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Depends how "tappity" it is, and how long it lasts.
    Can be a sign of a normal engine i.e. time taken for oil to circulate engine... or could be a sign of not so good things... i.e. poorly maintained engine/clogged up with sludge etc.

Can your mate have a listen and advise??

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Personally I would not have used an oil which does not meet the VAG specified standards for the car.

Regarding tappy sounds this is quite a common feature on all TFSI engines. The cars use direct injection and the fuel rail pressure is very high hence the tappy sounds which unfortunately can sound a little diesel like.
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    Depends how "tappity" it is, and how long it lasts.
    Can be a sign of a normal engine i.e. time taken for oil to circulate engine... or could be a sign of not so good things... i.e. poorly maintained engine/clogged up with sludge etc.

Can your mate have a listen and advise??
    Hmm well it's a fairly high mile engine (98k) but the service book has been maintained extremely well, seems it's been serviced every 13k, they are all Audi stamps too. The longest it's gone without a service is 16k.

What sort of mileage do these engines survive till? I've seen a few S3's for sale with 135k etc whch suprises me as these are turbocharged and high performance!

My mate didn't really say anything about it, he just said it sounded a bit tappy... but he doesn't know an awful lot about these particular engines... just how to repair them
    Last edited by littletodd20; 28th August 2009 at 12:54.

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Sounds like you've posted this in the wrong section as this is the 8P forum. Head over to the 8L forum as you are likely to have more knowledgeable people over there.
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech

Status
    What age is this car (8P/8L?)
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

S3 (8P)

Status
    8P S3s with 100K + miles

Tbh the TFSI sounds crap when cold and generally arent the sweetest sounding engine anyway IMO, unless on full chat with the turbo blowing like a whore of course.

Mine has 19K on and sounds a bit tractor-ish when cold and has since I got it with 4K on it.

Both previous Golf GTis TFSIs were the same and neither had more than 25K.

Agree with KRL that its worth using the OEM recommended lubricants just for piece of mind.
    Thats said, it sounds as if your engine is pretty normal.

cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sorry guys the car is a W reg i have posted in the wrong section, sorry for the confusion... typical newbie error

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Mobil 1 is a fully synthetic and not good for high mileage engines and particularly those with hydraulic tappets. Make sure you use a good flushing oil before changing and to be honest while its the dogs bo""ocks in a new engine i wouldn't recommend you switch to it at 100k miles.

Incidently........
    Mobil1 was one of the very first synthetic oils. It was developed by Mobil to meet the demands of Concorde during its development in the 60s where they needed an oil that would be thin at extremely low temps (-60+ at 50,000ft) and still have a good viscosity at boiling point, such was the extremes of temp on the Olympus engines. I ran it for years in a Opel Manta from new and it really was the best oil but once your hydraulic tappets get a little wear it struggles to seal and keep the pressure up so the engine gets very tappity.
    Last edited by paddy; 28th August 2009 at 16:21.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Mobil 1 is a fully synthetic and not good for high mileage engines and particularly those with hydraulic tappets. Make sure you use a good flushing oil before changing and to be honest while its the dogs bo""ocks in a new engine i wouldn't recommend you switch to it at 100k miles.

Incidently........
    Mobil1 was one of the very first synthetic oils. It was developed by Mobil to meet the demands of Concorde during its development in the 60s where they needed an oil that would be thin at extremely low temps (-60+ at 50,000ft) and still have a good viscosity at boiling point, such was the extremes of temp on the Olympus engines. I ran it for years in a Opel Manta from new and it really was the best oil but once your hydraulic tappets get a little wear it struggles to seal and keep the pressure up so the engine gets very tappity.
    The Mobil 1 oil i used was called "Mobil 1 Super S - Semi Synthetic" therefore it is not fully synthetic, is it still not good to use this oil then?

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Semi synthetic should be fine. your semi is 10/40 where as most full synthetics are 5/30 which is thinner
    Multi-viscosity oil like 5w-30 is like 5 weight oil when it's cold, and 30 weight when it's hot. Which basically make your car start easier because the oil is thinner when cold. The thinner the oil when cold the more noisy the engine as a rule of thumb. At 100k miles i would be looking at a thicker oil maybe like this
    http://www.mobil-1.co.uk/cms/Mobil_1...products).aspx

But its really down to personal choice
    Last edited by paddy; 28th August 2009 at 17:45.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.