Volks AutosChris Nott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status

AndyMac Stealth Sub for 8P completed

Sounds pretty good as well. Some bits of the install are easier than the 8L some bits harder, but the overall improvement is dramatic.

http://www.dizzythedog.com/index.php...tealth_sub&a=1

Let me know if you need more details or a copy of the install guide.
    Big thanks to Cali who loaned me his beloved A3Q for 3 days to do all the work. The install doesn't take 3 days BTW, but I had to design, build and template the enclosure, and then figure out the wiring and amp location etc so it was quite a job. Install takes about 4-5 hours. Here's his feedback:
    http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=1881
    "Andy, Thanks for the totally professional install - I had 4hrs of sweet driving back home and wasn't bothered about getting stuck in traffic, the sound just seems to get better and better. It appears to allow the other speakers to do the job intended. The sound quality is now far superior and what the A3 needs, clear mids and crisp high end with a punchy bass -I'm not and wasn't looking for a thumping bass more good quality sound (although Andy did prove it was capable of doing this once or twice with his test CD - which I pinched) so here is the shameless plug"
    Last edited by AndyMac; 27th August 2009 at 14:06.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

2. # ADS
    ADS

He who dears' wins!!

Status
    Looks like a very tidy job!!! Is that a 10" sub??

Status
    If only there was that much room. No it's the phenomenal 6.5" JL unit. The enclosure is only 5litre.
    Alex Turner

2nd Gear

Status
    Does this work with the 2009 spec Bose?

2nd Gear

Status
    If it does please send me the price of a full kit, everything included for me to fit.

1st Gear

Status
    Does it work on non-bose?

Status
    It'll work on any system, but the wiring hook up maybe slightly different if the 09 Spec Bose is radically different to the 03-08 Bose system. Anyone got any info on how the 09 Bose system has been "improved"?
    Alex Turner

Status
    Yes, it'll work on both systems, the only difference is the stock non Bose amp powers both the rears and the tupperware sub so you have to either use a 4 channel amp 2 channels for the rears and 2 channels bridged for the sub, or extract the tiny amp from the tupperware enclosure and keep that wired in just for the rears.
    Alex Turner

ANdi P.

Status
    Hello AndyMac, could you please send me the price of the full kit? PLease note that i don't have a bosse sound system.

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    I would also be interested in the price for a kit.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

Status
    Pricing is as follows:
    A3/S3 (8P chassis) with Symphony/Concert/RNS-E HU
    18mm MDF custom sub enclosure (satin black with gold speaker terminals, brackets, wiring & wadding) - 130
    JL Audio 6.5" sub (JL-6W3v3-4) fitted & tested- 95
    Alpine V12 MRV-T500 2ch amp 300wrms (bridged) amp - 70 (used, but with 12 month warranty)
    RCA adapter loom with wire taps - 20
    40amp fused 5m power cable, RCA's and earth - 25
    TOTAL 340
    P&P - 15 via DHL guaranteed insured next day delivery
    Optional Installation - 60 (Southampton)
    Everything is supplied new with warranty but the amps I use are secondhand to keep the price down, but these I also provide with a 12 month warranty. You can supply your own amp if you want it needs to be 2 channel or mono providing at least 250wrms into 4 ohms at 14.4v. I have written up the instuction manual (first draft) so PM me with your email address if you want to see what's involved.
    Cheers, Andy
    Alex Turner

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    This sounds like an idea, this forum certainly likes to spend my bucks, when turbo done I will get back to you.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    Any chance/interest in a group buy ?
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I was just thinking the same, lol, yeah Andy what we looking at for say 10 buyers?

Status
    A lot of work on my side!
    You lot already get preferencial pricing (of course)! My ebay prices are quite a bit more.
    Alex Turner

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    no worries, least I know ballpark, thanks.

Still laugh tupperware, lol

1st Gear

Status
    My car is the one Andy used for this custom build.
    (Sorry Andy started doing a write up but have had a manic week)
    This is a fantastic top quality build as you expect in an Audi. It generated a lot of interest and Awesomes 20th Brithday Bash last Sunday.
    I have not been able to use my car as much as i would have liked over the last week, but I was in my element driving back to Manchester from Southampton including hitting Birmingham at peak rush hour but hey I had my tunes.
    I have Bose and the sub works in harmony with Andy's custom sub and enclosure.
    I'm not acoustic engineer but I do know what sounds good (and looks good - not that there is anyhing to see once the rear internal 1/4 panel was re fitted).
    It seems to let the exsisting Bose speakers do what the REALLY should do. The mids are solid and the tweeters are crisp and sweet - it seems to let the Bose system 'Breathe' if that makes sense. The 6.5" JL sub is punchy, very defined and clear and takes up NO space (great in the A3 and even better in a Quattro) the risk of damage to the sub is also reduced.
    I'm more than happy for any one to have a listen if anyone is near Manchester/Liverpool area - because no amount of words can describe how it sounds.
    Thanks again to Andy for a quaility install.
    I will get round to doing a proper write up, one that is truely deserving of a great product.
    I will also be at Audi International if anyone wants to hear it.
    A3 TDI SLine Quattro
    OEM + Rubber mats & ASN stickers

ANdi P.

Status
    Hey AndyMac could you please tell me what is the shippment cost of that extraordinary sub to Romania?

many Thanks

Status
    For just the enclosure it would be 25, you'd be better sourcing the sub locally as it weighs another 4Kg's
    Alex Turner

Full speed ahead

Status
    Superb install. Nice one AndyMac!

In the non-Bose setup, you say you could use a 4ch amp to run the rears & sub. Is the front powered off the headunit? How simple is it to upgrade the fronts to run off a separate amp?
    Daytona RS4 Avant :: black optics

Sem
    1st Gear

Status
    Very nice, maybe a daft question but do you have to cut a 6.5" hole in the original carpet trim or is it just re-fitted as is?
    2008 (58) Audi A3 2.0TDI S-Line
    Phantom Black, Xenons, RNS-E etc...

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    hole in carpet, do you mean side trim cause this just covers the sub so its hidden as per the tupperware sub.

Sem
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    hole in carpet, do you mean side trim cause this just covers the sub so its hidden as per the tupperware sub.
    Sorry, yes I meant the side trim, so a hole is not required for the sound to pass through?
    2008 (58) Audi A3 2.0TDI S-Line
    Phantom Black, Xenons, RNS-E etc...

Status
    No hole required, but it could probably benefit from a few small holes just to let the air flow. They would be invisible from the boot side. The enclosure does sit as far away from the trim as is possible, I just stuffed some 2" thick sponge strips up between the enclosure and the trim just to ensure it didn't rattle. I also cut away the reinforcing plastic on the inside of the trim panel, just to let it move a bit more freely, but this probably wasn't necessary, as it's not exactly airtight behind the trim.
    Alex Turner

Status
    Yes the fronts are powered off the HU on the non Bose setup. All you need to do to grab the feed is pull the HU, unplug the speaker ISO connector and plug it into a male speaker ISO (2.99 from Maplins) and then route the wires to wherever you want the amp. The main problem with amping the fronts is getting the front pre-out feed as this isn't wired in anywhere on the non Bose system, the pre-out plug is just blank where the fronts are fed from the HU. You'd need to extract the pins from an mini ISO adapter and insert them into the empty holes on the Audi loom to pick up the fronts. Or if you're by passing the Audi wiring and have a proper sub and amping the rears as well then just forget the Audi loom and use the BLAU adapter and proper RCA's.
    Alex Turner

2nd Gear

Status
    How much better than the Bose sub is it?
    I find the bose sub a bit boomy and awkward to adjust - it's either nothing or a huge thumping bass that drowns everything out.
    S3 (8V) S-Tronic Estoril Blue; A3 2.0TFSI S-Line quattro, Dolphin Grey [sold]

Status
    It's a big big improvement. Far more controlled, and far tighter, and far punchier. The Bose sub is mounted in the flimsiest cheapo plastic enclosure you can imagine (the same one as the non Bose sub), I can't believe they would put their name to it TBH. I'd say it was even worse than the 8L version, so no way can you achieve controlled low frequencies when the sub is mounted in a biscuit tin. Also, as is the Bose way, it doesn't just handle the low frequencies, it seems to be almost full range (with just the sub playing on its own you can easily identify the track playing, you can hear vocals and everything), so you get a lot of middle which drowns out the lower stuff giving that very woolly Bose sound with no definition.
    Alex Turner

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi Andy,

Does this box fit the Sportback too or do you need to design another box for that?

Thanks..
    "If you ain't first, you're last!" - Ricky Bobby

2008 A3 S-line 2.0 TDI PD140 (Pre-facelift)

Reverse Gear

Status
    I posted this in another forum, but what would the cost of just the enclosure w/ speaker terminals be? I currently have banana plugs but can convert to something else if needed. I also have a Sony mono amp.

Shipped to the USA, zip code 22202.

Thanks.

Status
    It will fit the sportback, but you'd need to mount the amp in a different location, either inside the spare wheel or on one of the seatbacks.
    The enclosure on its own is 130 + shipping to the US is 30.
    Alex Turner

1st Gear

Status
    I thought the Bose sub uses a transmission design so that they could get bass out of that POS woofer. Did anyone cut theirs open to see the internal air path?

Status
    It's just a ported plastic box, exactly the same as the non Bose sub.
    Alex Turner

1st Gear

Status
    Does the port wiggle back and forth to create a long port, like their clock radio?

Gears of War

Status
    so these sound much better than the audi bose option?
    "Its not so much that I set out to make an S3, its just I think the S3 is the best body kit for an A3."

Neutral

Status
    i had one of these fitted last weekend courtesy of andymac and i am so impressed with it, the bose stereo now sounds so much better because you dont need to turn the bass up to acheive great bass thus giving the mid range speakers the chance to do what they were designed to do. It sounds phenominal considering the size of it, it can really shake the car if thats what you want it to!

I would recommend this upgrade to anyone considering you can stil retain all of your boot space and you get a much better clearer sound from the speakers.
    Audi A3 170 TDI S-Line now 220+, Dolphin Grey, Milltek DPF Delete, Milltek Cat Back (non res), Facelift Rear Lights, Custom Code Remap, Bilstein Coilovers, Bose with 12' Sub in the boot

Audi RS6 C5 White with a black roof, wheels and mirrors (but watch this space!) Bilstein PSS9, Full turbo back (no cats) Milltek no res exhaust, K&N Panels and a Revo stage two map (coming soon - hotchkis ARB's and brake upgrade)

1st Gear

Status
    Andy - is it possible to fit a boxed 10" in the space available?
    reason I ask, is 'cause I have a 10" Boston sub and have been thinking about doing ym own custom install..
    Akoya TDI 140, 18" S4 Rims, VCDS, H&R
    Getting Hybrid treatment

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by heyadamhey View Post
    Andy - is it possible to fit a boxed 10" in the space available?
    reason I ask, is 'cause I have a 10" Boston sub and have been thinking about doing ym own custom install..
    I'd imagine it to be a tight fit
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

Status
    No chance, that space has an internal panel which blocks the usuable space by half, it's a squeeze even with the little JL. You could chop the panel like this guy did, but that's some major cutting and lots of fibreglass:

http://tadasauce.wordpress.com/2009/...ystem-install/
    Alex Turner

1st Gear

Status
    shoowee, that's a nice install. almost exactly what I had in mind, but without the fibreglass.
    will give it a go in the new year...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    No chance, that space has an internal panel which blocks the usuable space by half, it's a squeeze even with the little JL. You could chop the panel like this guy did, but that's some major cutting and lots of fibreglass:

http://tadasauce.wordpress.com/2009/...ystem-install/
    Akoya TDI 140, 18" S4 Rims, VCDS, H&R
    Getting Hybrid treatment

Status
    Don't quite see how you'd achieve it without the fibreglass!
    Alex Turner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast