JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 58 of 58
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Acronym madness: ITG CAI ON S3 8P

  1. #41
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    Quote Originally Posted by V6Pete View Post
    Not doubting the effectiveness of the foam heat shield, it just seems a very cheap and cheerful solution rather than a properly engineered heat shield that many kits use.

    I'm sure it works ok, but with a bit more cash spent on tooling, I'm sure a much tidier solution would have been possible. I'd expect better for 300.

    As F1 teams generally design the intakes themselves, any filter company will effectively be producing a filter to suit the team's designs. ITG play on supplying Renault F1 all the time, but it doesn't reassure me they are the best qualified people to develop a CAI kit.
    Fair comment, but at least unlike some kits they have given consideration to the MAF sensor pipework diameter. Another forum member on another site I frequent has had so many issues with his Dbilas he's removed it and gone back to stock airbox and Carbonia intake. The foam they use forms a seal against the bonnet lid, is fireproof/heat resistant, and should you run out of air in the filter enclosure space means you can keep pulling (albeit warmer) air from the engine bay.

    It's not going to be everyones bag, but I''m happy buying from a company that are entrusted to make filters for 1m rally/race cars. Horses for courses I suppose.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,817
    useful info here. thanks warren
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour



  4. #43
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    291
    I got 1 yesterday, its a great bit of kit and its really livened the S3 up


    08 Ibis S3, REVO stg2+, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, ITG intake, BSH catch can, H&R springs, 19" MTM's, Lamin-x'd
    ???bhp, ???ft/lbs

  5. #44
    wesley's Avatar
    Giac Extreme+!! Lovin it

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post
    Fair comment, but at least unlike some kits they have given consideration to the MAF sensor pipework diameter. Another forum member on another site I frequent has had so many issues with his Dbilas he's removed it and gone back to stock airbox and Carbonia intake. The foam they use forms a seal against the bonnet lid, is fireproof/heat resistant, and should you run out of air in the filter enclosure space means you can keep pulling (albeit warmer) air from the engine bay.

    It's not going to be everyones bag, but I''m happy buying from a company that are entrusted to make filters for 1m rally/race cars. Horses for courses I suppose.

    What were the issues the other member had with his Dbilas Warren if you dont mind me asking?
    07 Suzuka Grey S3, Giac Extreme plus map, Autotech HPFP, VF Engineering CAI, 18" black rims,factory tints,fbmfsw,Mk 2 RNS-E,CH-LH lights.puddle lights,Bose,Shark fin, Lamin x lights & Fogs.Full TBE miltek, 09 White DIS,Buckets,LED conversion,TPMS.

  6. #45
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    Quote Originally Posted by wesley View Post
    What were the issues the other member had with his Dbilas Warren if you dont mind me asking?
    http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/show...94&postcount=8
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  7. #46
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    99
    Great write up Warren,you have sold it to me ill be calling I.T.G in the morning !

  8. #47
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ3BLUE View Post
    Great write up Warren,you have sold it to me ill be calling I.T.G in the morning !
    You wont regret it. It delivers when the bonnet is shut.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  9. #48
    Boydie's Avatar
    Boycie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Greenisland, Co.Antrim
    Posts
    4,814
    warren, I have been in touch with Andy and I am pretty certain that I will go for the ITG.

    However, have you experienced any issues with the kit? I can understand if there are any initial teething problems with new kit but have you noticed any or had such issues?

  10. #49
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydie View Post
    warren, I have been in touch with Andy and I am pretty certain that I will go for the ITG.

    However, have you experienced any issues with the kit? I can understand if there are any initial teething problems with new kit but have you noticed any or had such issues?
    Nothing that I've noted. All positive so far.

    There are issues I've had which were there before and after the CAI, but they have not changed.

    1) Boost modulation flutter under full load
    2) Slightly rough idle

    The second issue has been slightly improved by a track day and the catch can, and the first issue seems to be lessening as the weather gets colder. However I tend to bit a bit paranoid about noises / inconsistent idles etc.... so it may be nothing. Ten years ago if you were running well over 300bhp out of a 2.0 litre you'd be happy if it idled inconsistently if at all!
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  11. #50
    Boydie's Avatar
    Boycie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Greenisland, Co.Antrim
    Posts
    4,814
    cheers warren for that - you have the latest Audi DV installed don't you?

    Is there any noticeable difference between that and the standard one? what about comparison to forge?

    thanks

  12. #51
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post
    Nothing that I've noted. All positive so far.

    There are issues I've had which were there before and after the CAI, but they have not changed.

    1) Boost modulation flutter under full load
    2) Slightly rough idle

    The second issue has been slightly improved by a track day and the catch can, and the first issue seems to be lessening as the weather gets colder. However I tend to bit a bit paranoid about noises / inconsistent idles etc.... so it may be nothing. Ten years ago if you were running well over 300bhp out of a 2.0 litre you'd be happy if it idled inconsistently if at all!
    I get the boost modulation, had it before and after the intake was fitted. I've spoken to Revo about it and they say it is normal, but I'm going to do some logs this weekend to make sure all is well


    08 Ibis S3, REVO stg2+, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, ITG intake, BSH catch can, H&R springs, 19" MTM's, Lamin-x'd
    ???bhp, ???ft/lbs

  13. #52
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydie View Post
    cheers warren for that - you have the latest Audi DV installed don't you?

    Is there any noticeable difference between that and the standard one? what about comparison to forge?

    thanks
    I had a very early Forge DV, but was finding that the car was slightly jerky around the point where the DV cracks open. Even after it was serviced (the DV), it didn't feel it was any better, so I decided to try alternative solutions.

    I had an original early style DV which I put back on, but it didn't seem to be coping well with holding max boost at Revo Stg2+, so as a purely experimental exercise I changed it for an OEM rev. D unit. Whilst much improved over the original OEM unit, I'm still not sure it's consistently holding the max boost as well as I'd like (purely from gut feel, not logged).

    There are now 3 options:

    1) Leave it and accept it
    2) Go back for a Forge with a new yellow spring
    3) Buy a Turbosmart DV

    Until I've done some logging of the boost I'm not going to change anything, but given where the car was in terms of general performance it's league ahead. The cooler spark plugs seemed to have given it more consistency, but then the air temp has dropped significantly recently which helps these cars no end.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  14. #53
    Boydie's Avatar
    Boycie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Greenisland, Co.Antrim
    Posts
    4,814
    Thanks again mate - what spark plugs have you in the car now? those NGK ones?

  15. #54
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydie View Post
    Thanks again mate - what spark plugs have you in the car now? those NGK ones?
    Go to this link, then scroll to bottom left hand side of the screen. Bargain.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  16. #55
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    I used to get the flutter with my Stage 2+ but the yellow Forge spring plus the Iridium plugs appears to have cured it. Although as Warren says it could be that the change in temp has had an effect too. The total cost of the plugs and the yellow spring is under 40 though so well worth it anyway even if it only incrementally helps the situation.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  17. #56
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    43
    Very interested in this 'Boost modulation flutter' you are talking about. I now seem to be getting this on my TT-S after a stage 1 remap. The best way of describing it is that when opening the throttle fully in 2nd or 3rd gear I can feel and hear the turbo come on very strong but then the boost seems to drop and I can hear a sort of on/off whooshing noise from the turbo. Is this what you guys are talking about?

    I'm also running the latest OEM DV.

    Very interested in this ITG CAI by the way, probably going to be my next mod if its available for the TT-S.
    2009 Audi TT-S - Ice Silver - S-Tronic

  18. #57
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    Quote Originally Posted by gtijames View Post
    Very interested in this 'Boost modulation flutter' you are talking about. I now seem to be getting this on my TT-S after a stage 1 remap. The best way of describing it is that when opening the throttle fully in 2nd or 3rd gear I can feel and hear the turbo come on very strong but then the boost seems to drop and I can hear a sort of on/off whooshing noise from the turbo. Is this what you guys are talking about?
    Sounds the same, but having spoken to Kev at Revo it's actually not a bad thing. It's basically the cars ECU managing the tolerances, and the losses are managed, not detrimental.

    As for the ITG, not sure they have done one for the TT-S yet, but given your battery is in the boot you may have more scope than in the S3.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  19. #58
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    192
    Great review!

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO