Help needed!..3.2Q DSG Hesitant engine ~ 2k rpm

Anyone know where the temp sensor is ?? I'm told the first thing the ECU looks at on start up is the reading from the temp sensor and i wonder if thats my starting on 3 cyl fault..

Cant get the link to work Ju ?
Correct Paddy the module does look at coolant temperature for any given start up, so it can decide how long to open the injector's for, but i would not expect this to be your problem as you have a multi misfire from your post. So not matter what the temp the module see's high or low it will still open the injectors, unless you are confusing mis fire with bad idle where the temp sensor could be the cause

Hi Lee
Its very random, this is the latest set of codes. Unfortunately they just state the ****** obvious ;-) and dont help really

Address 01: Engine Labels: 022-906-032-BDB.lbl
Part No SW: 022 906 032 CB HW: Bas isX 3
Component: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1G 5604
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: AUX7Z0D2FN40HY
Coding: 0000178
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 08192

7 Faults Found:
18025 - Glow Plug Pre-Heat Indicator (K29): Open or Short to Ground
P1617 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16689 - Cylinder 5: Misfire Detected
P0305 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
16690 - Cylinder 6: Misfire Detected
P0306 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected
P0301 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected
P0302 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16688 - Cylinder 4: Misfire Detected
P0304 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

I am going back too basics now with a new set of plugs and coils, i know thats not the real problem. the fact that it will switch from a cronic misfife to sweet as a Swiss watch after approx 2-3 mins says its something that controls all cylinders. some days its fine anyway, its got to be something that switches with temp. Once its run its fine for the rest of the day until its stone cold again....the only other thing is if its really bad, you can drive through it if you can keep the revs above 2.5k its back on 6 cyl again...

Hi Lee
Its very random, this is the latest set of codes. Unfortunately they just state the ****** obvious ;-) and dont help really

Address 01: Engine Labels: 022-906-032-BDB.lbl
Part No SW: 022 906 032 CB HW: Bas isX 3
Component: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1G 5604
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: AUX7Z0D2FN40HY
Coding: 0000178
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 08192

7 Faults Found:
18025 - Glow Plug Pre-Heat Indicator (K29): Open or Short to Ground
P1617 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16689 - Cylinder 5: Misfire Detected
P0305 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
16690 - Cylinder 6: Misfire Detected
P0306 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected
P0301 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected
P0302 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16688 - Cylinder 4: Misfire Detected
P0304 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

I am going back too basics now with a new set of plugs and coils, i know thats not the real problem. the fact that it will switch from a cronic misfife to sweet as a Swiss watch after approx 2-3 mins says its something that controls all cylinders. some days its fine anyway, its got to be something that switches with temp. Once its run its fine for the rest of the day until its stone cold again....the only other thing is if its really bad, you can drive through it if you can keep the revs above 2.5k its back on 6 cyl again...
Paddy the module as flag up a fault code for mis-fire on all cyclinders apart from number 3, the random mis-fire code/16684 is a generic code which you get on all vag cars with any mis- fire. Going back to basic's is a good idea, but i would when cold start it up and lift say number 1 coil off when its mis/firing and see if it alters and makes a difference, if it does not then you no you are onto something etc.
The 18025 is very strange seeing as you dont have glow plugs and would not worry about this just yet, concertrate on the mis-fires, where you from ? anywhere near Rochdale

Deepest darkest Surrey mate...I know Bentley had this problem and they used the same coils. I also know through many years of motorcycle mechanics that plugs can do strange things...The problem i have is that it does it on so many cylinders at the same time which makes me think its not individual cylinder related.

Thats a shame i would like to have had a look at it for you, Paddy just do as i said to diagnose the cyclinders, by all means buy all the coils and plugs if thats what you want.

#Most of these sort of problems are fuel or ignition...so i will rule out ignition first, ok its expensive but as a car its not a lot of use as it is and i cant afford to have Audi mess about with it at £150 an hour. shame your so far away, it would have been nice to have some one look at it who was actually interested ( unlike audi) thanks for the thought :)

Yabadabadoo!!!! Had the software update this morning and I can confirm it works, I now have no missing or hesitation whatsoever. The rev counter is rock solid.:rockwoot:

Excellent Ju.
What a ****** scandal that its taken the customers to sort this for Audi GB.
I will call into Audi Monday and try to get mine booked in.

Definately do Paddy, they won't show it as an available update but if you print out the details from the link I posted, they can order the CD from that.
Cost me £56 and although it should be free, it's money well spent

Ju can you please detail where znx how you sorted the update please.... Also can you tell from my scans wether mine needs this update....

Cheers!!

Jonathon, your on software revision 6651 and you need 8087, I'm now on 8036 (different ECU to yours) . I don't know when the cars roled out of the factory with the later software but I'd definately say that "anybody" that has a pre 06 car NEEDS the update, even my mates car that doesn't yet show any hesitation, has drop outs in the rev range up to 2k. Mine does not have any at all now!

What you need to do, as I assume you'll use Harrogate Audi, is tell them you know that there is a software update available using cd no:- 4F0 906 961 N that cures the hesitation issue that your experiencing. They are part of the same group as Huddersfield Audi so you can tell them where I got mine done.

I'm now one happy bunny!:)

Great will book it in!

Is it a simple job for them? I.e Saturday morning slot...

If it's anything taxing I might take it to huddersfield (that's where I purschased mine) and they should have a better idea of what to do...

If I were to order the disc us it something you could upload using vagcom. Then I could post to another 3.2 manual owner?

Oh and just to get this stright in my mind.... These useless tw&ts at the dealers when I have been taking it in over 5 times were able to add this update?

Are you able to see exactly what software mine is on from my scans? It's just I was told on 1 visit they had put an update on.....

Might e-mail audi uk and express my feelings!

The dealer will show that your car has the latest available update, however what they don't seem to know is that there IS an update available. Your software is 6651, taken from your logs, just tell them you want this later software loading on.
It's not rocket science, all they had to do was put the disc in the machine and press a few buttons, took 1/2 hour once in the workshop. They didn't show any interest either before or after putting the software on and initially they wanted to book it in for "a diagnosis" at £100 + vat lol!
Unfortunately though it's a dealer only update as it can't be done via vagcom.

Yeah, worth a try I guess.... If nothing comes of it at least we I can vent some anger on them!

Jonathan..
I will write this afternoon. when i have calmed down a little ;)
Ju..cant thank you enough mate excellent !!

Paddy e-mail me if you like regards your letter... I.e who and what...

Jonathan..
I will write this afternoon. when i have calmed down a little ;)
Ju..cant thank you enough mate excellent !!

No worries Paddy, I'm just glad that it's sorted tbh.

Do you not think though that a lot of your later problems could be down to the remap?

great news, i'll be down to the main dealer in the morning.as mine is now hesitating alot more through the rev range and more noticeable at a higher speed hope this cures - my 05 manual sport back.and the fuel figures are diabolical. i suppose it's early days for you to say if your mpg has improved with this update. thanks ju for the good work

Yep, good effort Ju, I 'll be doing the same in the near future. We should start a petition to have AUDI do the resolution map's free. The amount of money that has gone through dealers hands in doing diagnostics, replacing parts etc for people with this issue must be huge - they should fix it for free if its just a map!

Well its poss Ju but the times dont really coincide..I do wonder if i am just a little further down the line with the same fault as you because i now find that even when running on 3 cyl it cuts on to 6 above 2k revs...,
Either way, getting the hesitation sorted is a major step and gives me a better chance od sorting the rest. It hasnt done its 3 cyl thing now for a week and i have done another 600 miles.. that is the problem...its just so intermitant

Not sure on the fuel consumption at the moment but I do think it's better, just nipped out and it feels superb!.........still pinching myself lol!

Off out now for a longer run.

Been following the thread and its a fantastic effort by all of you:idea::idea::idea: tryed all what was suggested too no avail...

But its too late for me suspected timing chain????? cars sat in my garage for past two months spent too much on it... Had the the car five years and cannot part with it so if you guys no of anyone who can tackle the problem and give a defo answer that it is the timing chain it would be a pleasure ...

Last edited:
Where abouts in yorkshire are you and what are your symptoms? Is the chain noisy? The hesitation issue is the map but it may be causing other long term problems i.e. chains, but that is pure speculation.

Based in leeds .. Not sure about the noisy chain but has a terrible missfire had the camshaft x2 sensor changed few coilpacks .. but the missfire still there the garage said chain??
But what i dont understand is when you first start up the car no missfire ??? and the fan kicks in as soon as i start the car up from cold for about 30 sec?? Just assumed if it was a timing issue the problem would be there regardless ??

Had the hesitation problem from 40k now done 68k brill job on that front

I just dont trust any garage now

Welcome to meet up if you like, could tell you if its like mine was.

First print out
17748- camshaft position sensor (g40)/enginespeed sensor (g28): incor. correlation
p1340-001-upper limit exeeded-intermittent

16684- random/ multiple cylinder missfire detected
p0300- 001- upperlimit exceeded-intermitten

16687-cylinder3 missfire detected
p0303-oo1-upper limit exceeded-intermittent

17763-cylinder 1 ignition circuit open circuit
p1355- 004- no signal/communication - intermittent - mil on

print out two

16684- random/ multiple cylinder misfire detected
p0300-001-upper limit exceeded

16685- cylinder1 :misfire detected
p0301-001-upper limit exceeded

16686- cylinder 2 :missfire detected
p0302-001-upper limit exceeded

16687-cylinder 3 :missfiredetected
p0303-001-upper limit exceeded

Looks to me you need someone with vagcom to check your timing chain..seems unlikly to me that its shot at 70k miles. Is it rattling ?

17748/P1340/004928 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incor. Correlation

Possible Causes
Timing Belt/Chain incorrectly installed
Timing Chain probably lengthened
Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
Engine Speed Sensor (G28) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Timing Belt/Chain installation
Use Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) to Check Timing Chain
Check/Replace Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
Check/Replace Engine Speed Sensor (G28)

does it tick over on 6....Does it ever run on 6 ?

Paddy I'm a armature when it comes to technical stuff ... it does look like i need someone with a vag come (portable) not gonna drive it in that state

and i just started it and to me it does rattle don't think I'm gonna get away with a simple coil... When you been quoted £3500 with out even looking at it and missed out alll the fun in the snow it plays hell with you

Ju sent you a message

Not sure on the fuel consumption at the moment but I do think it's better, just nipped out and it feels superb!.........still pinching myself lol!

Off out now for a longer run.
. let us know , how the car does

Well done Ju on this, you are due all the credit for keeing with this and finding out about the map up date
Mine is just starting to do it at 2k just a tiny lille bit i have noticed yesterday, which is making me think it will get worse.
Did i read that you used audi in huddersfield ? as i might get in touch with them as they only up the road from me

Lee...did you see my reply about launch control...? have you tried it ?

Thanks Lee, but ultimately the credit goes to everybody that contributed to this thread and kept it going, it's been a long road with a lot of dead ends but it has been worth it!
The question as to why Audi didn't offer it as an update is a strange one and one I don't know the answer to. All I know is my car is completely cured, not a "well it does feel better I think" feeling, but instantly different. Gone is the fluctuating needle on the rev counter and the constant dropping out of the engine note under 2.5k. The car is silky smooth with clean, strong pickup at low revs, it even seems to have a throatier exhaust tone.
It'll only be a matter of time now before someone else has the update done and confirms this
It was Huddersfield Audi that did the update so they will have the CD

Ju will that cd have the update I want on it or is mine a different disc for the manual car?

Cheers

No afaik it's the same cd

The following engine expensive devices can be updated:
022906032CA
022906032CB
022906032GH
022906032GJ

Last conditions available for the dealers:
022,906,032 APPROX.: 8P HS (BDB): 8087
022,906,032 CB: 8P DSG (BDB): 8088
022,906,032 GH: 8P HS (BMJ): 8035
022,906,032 GJ: 8P DSG (BMJ): 8036

What do I say to the dealer?
You heard that AUDI a software update makes available for the VR6 3.2-Liter-Motoren, which the Motorruckeln, vibrating, jerky no-load operation and power loss are to repair.

What, if it does not know or finds the update?
Give it the TPL procedure number: 2005748/4
Internal message code 8P01A005 or the updates CD No. 4F0 906,961 N is needed

Yours is the first one on the list

Thanks Paddy replied on that thread.
Ju i bet you are well chuffed as you did alot of work to yours to cure this pal.
Do you know who the chap was who you dealt with there, and was the a cost to you as i cant remember if you said ?
Again well done, keep an eye on your mpg see if it gets better lol