Help needed!..3.2Q DSG Hesitant engine ~ 2k rpm

Another one here. just bought it too. 54 plate a3 3.2 dsg.

Comes across as a little bit of hesitancy and a sort of 'hunting' type feel when driving at a constant throttle.

No one sorted this out yet?

Ian

As stated before mine had an issue previously.

It was a slight flat spot at 2k normally when just warming up on a clold day. Odd one to explain really, as before it picked up you wouldn't have said it had bogged down. Does that make sence? Like its the jolt of power that makes u realise its just done it!

Mine went into main dealers 6 or so times and they put a new map on it, air mass, and part of loom. It stopped doing it but on the odd occasion it has done it again. This was 2 yrs. ago and 28k miles later so I dont think it's chain related...

Just to add, do you guys with DSG. think it could be amplified by that box?

3.2 JU you are local to me would be nice to compare the cars to see if its the same issue.....

Another one here. just bought it too. 54 plate a3 3.2 dsg.

Comes across as a little bit of hesitancy and a sort of 'hunting' type feel when driving at a constant throttle.

No one sorted this out yet?

Ian
Exactly how mine was when I picked it up. Does your's have a chain rattle at all?
Just to add, do you guys with DSG. think it could be amplified by that box?

3.2 JU you are local to me would be nice to compare the cars to see if its the same issue.....
Although it feels like a gearchange, I don't believe it's related, I just think there are more dsg 3.2's than manuals!

I'd love a mini meet from anybody local to me to compare the problem, Im in Bradford but don't mind a bit of travelling.

Mines actually MUCH worse now than when I got it. I'm also hoping to get it in this week once and for all and it IS chain related on mine. I have the following fault codes at the moment:-

16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
P0011 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

16398 - Bank 1: Camshaft B (Exhaust): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
P0014 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Audi want to strip out the gearbox and open it up to see whats going on, but i've read loads of stuff on the internet about 3.2 chain problems from tensioners to chains to oil pressure and problems related to the variable service interval and I reckon it could be that the tensioner is not adjusting properly. I've been monitoring the chain for lengthening from day one and it's well within tolerance at 2 and 1 (out of tolerance is over 8) and it's never really moved from that.

Julian

Last edited:
I will fault code mine at the weekend but i did say advance /****** the other day...

i think that advance ****** error is just symptom, a side effect of the actual problem. Some mk4 golf r32's had a lot of hesitancy problems, and it turned out to be the actual map, causing the knock sensors to be over sensitive and making the ecu ****** everything. It was cured by the dealer flashing another map onto the ecu.

I have a spare audi ecu that i might chuck in the car to see what happens. I have a spare maf too which i will try tonight.

is any one else with this problem getting poor mpg figures?
driving like miss daisy I struggle to hit 26mpg.

Last edited:
On mine if I drive really carefull I can get 32ish. Thats on a 18 mile run to work, 30 limits and 60 limits.

That's keeping up with traffic but not overtaking. If I were to be doing 26mpg i would be overtaking people.....

Mines manual though and I guess the DSG uses abit more....

something definately wrong with mine then. I am stumping for the MAF. will find out tonight.

it would be physically impossible for me to get 32mpg at the moment, unless i was getting towed lol I did a 25mile round trip at a constant 70mph on the lightest throttle possible and it returned 26mpg.

The dsg is supposed to have slightly superior fuel economy figures over the manual too.

Last edited:
Hmm yes would say something is up then!

Mine has a MAF error that comes up but has had a new MAF and it didn't sort the issue......

IMO 30mpg should be achievable if your drving gentle and just keeping up with people.

Has it been like since you got it?

How long have you owned it?

I,ve had mine just over 2 yrs now and i,ve averaged 27mpg but since I got it I have been able to get it in the 30's if i try.

i have owned it about 4 days lol

I am familiar with the r32 engine though, so i reckon i should be able to sort it.

I am certain its nothing mechanical wrong with the engine. Got to be a sensor fault.

My previous A3 3.2dsg sportback averaged 19mpg over the 18 months I had it but that was mainly due to the commuting in traffic. The best I ever got was 33mpg over a 100mile run on the motorway at a constant cruise controlled 70mph.
That car did not have any engine issues at all and ran like a dream apart from one instance which tuned out to be a bad earth.

Mine was bad tonight but it improves 100% once its warm or say...3 miles.

I get about 26-7 normal use but i regularly do a 100 mile motorway run M25/M11 and if i just go with the flow in the outside lane at 80-95 i get a pretty regular 30mpg, maybe a fraction more. drops a couple of mpg if its windy or raining.

ok, I swapped the maf out, no joy, cam sensors, no joy, I cleaned up the throttle body (wasnt that dirty anyway) reset the ecu, and performed the throttle adaptation on it. seemed to make it a little smoother, but the problem is still there.

Does everyone run the long life variable service intervals? I am coming off that, because the state of the inside of my engine is horrific. tar everywhere. Mines getting a few run throughs with some cheap oil for a couple of hundred miles, dropped out, repeat, then putting some good stuff in, and changing it every 6000 miles.

so, i believe the problem is either the camshaft actuator is just completely gummed up, or another possibility is the fuel pump relay failing. Does anyone know which relay this is on a late 2004 3.2 A3? I am think my poor fuel economy could be a pointer towards the fuel pump relay.

only other thing it could be is an air leak somewhere. The car pulls like a train, its just the very gentle part throttle openings that the problem occurs.

I will keep investigating.

Ian

My current thinking is also centered around the chain tensioner as I don't think it's pressurising properly.
When the car is cold and the oil thick the misfire is hardly detectable, but when fully up to temperature and the oil is thin the misfire is horrendous! . It's had a new tensioner which initially made it slightly better, but it's now worse. I was going to drop the oil out, flush with some cheap oil (not flushing oil) and refill with mobil 1, but the car has now gone into Audi to be looked at so watch this space!

Sorry to say that mine has had the long life's and the intermediates with oil changes. Its now just turned 40k. the problem got noticeably worse after the last long life at 37k.

Mines on long life.

CoxyLad how do you know that inside of the engine is all gummed up?

Hi,

Also though it might be good to see if anybody has oil usage issues....

Mine doesn't seem to use a drop but have hear others do........ Maybe a cause?

when i took the camshaft sensors out last night they were absolutely caked in black/brown crud.

Long life servicing is a death sentence for any engine, I dont care what they say!

I had a 17k R32 that was serviced the old fashioned way and the engine was as clean as a whistle inside. no build up at all.

I don't really see 10,000 miles as excessive for oil these days. If you have a full service history then your car should have had oil changes at the long life services and the intermediate inspection service. I do agree though given the choice i would change the oil every-8k and use only mobil 1...
On my bikes i change the oil every 2k miles but they are a bit different !

They don't go in every 10 though do they. It's more like 17k. As far as I am aware they don't have oil changes in between like the s3s do.

Saying that I haven't any issues touch wood with the intervals.

The service book says 10k/12 months. Mine had long life services at 10K 22K 34K miles but it had an oil change at the inspection service last year as well.

Last edited:
I'm sure long life is 20k or 24 months or what the dis. Says

I supose your right because my car is 2004 and its had three long lifes due to age not milage as its only done 40k. Sorry, my mistake :yes:

Any news 3.2 Ju?

I swapped the oil and filter on my car last night for some cheap 10w 40 oil, put a flush in before i dropped the old oil out - I know that can be dangerous, but no harm has been done :) Going to run this oil for 300 mile then swap it for some more expensive stuff.

Problem is still there though. from idle is appears the first inch of travel on the pedal doesnt do much, then when it hits approx 2000rpm it lurches forward. Its annoying.

Been in discussions with knowledgeable mates they seem to think its pointing at the VVT not working correctly, for one reason or another - possibly oil ways caked in crud.

If you get no success with the audi garage, which i really hope you do, then I am going to have the rocker cover off mine for some more investigation.

My mpgs are still rubbish. Another point to note, I did some logging with vag com and the ecu seemed to be fairly accurately reading the engine temp (within 5 degrees of the dash gauge)

I would like to try swapping the fuel pump relay, does anyone know which one it is and where its at?

Ian

Last edited:
No news yet and tbh I'm not really expecting any news till next week.
The Garage that I bought the car from are taking care of the repairs at the moment and they are dealing with Audi.
When you describe your symptoms though, it's almost as if your describing my car so they must be the same problem:yes:.
I don't know what you would acheive though at this time by taking the rocker cover off, mine has been off to replace the tensioner guide rail and there was no wear on any of the easily accessible guides and I don't think it was an easy job stripping it down either as the inlet manifold is quite awkward to get at down by the radiators.

DSC00347.jpg

Been in discussions with knowledgeable mates they seem to think its pointing at the VVT not working correctly, for one reason or another - possibly oil ways caked in crud.
Not sure on that one as I have fault codes on both inlet and exhaust, I would be surprised if both were faulty.
You got any fault codes on yours yet? Mine didn't show any at first but the symptoms were still there! Also out of interest have you checked blocks 208 and 209? I don't know if it means anything but my R32 had a reading of -8 and -9 (which points to a stretched chain) and all readings I've seen elsewhere where negative. On the A3 they are +1 and +2

This is the only fault i have ever got, and once cleared it hasnt come back straight away.
16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

I guess we definately do have the same problem eh?

Cant wait to find out what the hell it is, I am fairly certain its a problem with the VVT, it cant be anything else - I bet the VVT on the inlet phases out at around 2400rpm or something.

no one no the location of the relay for the fuel pump?

I am trying to send it to you cox but i need an e-mail address !!

Just checked my values and I have -1 and +1.......

This is the only fault i have ever got, and once cleared it hasnt come back straight away.

I guess we definately do have the same problem eh?

Cant wait to find out what the hell it is, I am fairly certain its a problem with the VVT, it cant be anything else - I bet the VVT on the inlet phases out at around 2400rpm or something.

no one no the location of the relay for the fuel pump?

I had that one originally. That was cleared and didn't come back until after the tensioner was done, then I got them both.
Edition said:
Just checked my values and I have -1 and +1.......
I have had them values as it does change a bit but never goes above +/-2 on either

so 99% certain the chains are not at fault, and as i have replaced the cam sensors to no avail, i suppose the only thing left is the vvt system - oilways and solonoids.

thats where i would be looking.

Last edited:
Hope you got that coxy
If ever you need anything from the Audi manual let me know.