AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    vorsprung Durch Technik

Status

Anyone found a cure..H.I.D's?

Has anyone found a cure to stop the wiper motor blowing after fittment of aftermarkt xenon/hid kit to the a3 2003 onwards?
    Full leather/19"wheels/cruise/

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    the cure is not to be a pikey with a expensive and classy car like an Audi, and buy OEM!
    Audi A3 2.0TDI S-Line
    OEM+

Coming soon: VW Passat 2.0TDI 170 DSG

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    You shouldn't have said that Mike, you're not allowed an opinion on this forum, or a sense of humour, forum rules..

4th Gear

Status
    lifetime ban for us both now....
    Audi A3 2.0TDI S-Line
    OEM+

Coming soon: VW Passat 2.0TDI 170 DSG

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

is a retronaut

Status
    I think you're confusing this for another forum Nathan.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    the cure is not to be a pikey with a expensive and classy car like an Audi, and buy OEM!
    your NOT allowed an opinon! listen to N8KOW !......!
    Full leather/19"wheels/cruise/

Makinen...ha

Status
    ive seen some on ebay thats says it wont affect anythin else, but you cant be too sure..

6th Gear

Status
    Buy a spare wiper motor but no cure as yet :D

How come so your set on gettng HIDS?

They're not really all that and they blind the poor bloke on the otherside?

Have you tried some Osram Nightbreakers? Or OEM xenon headlights?
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    ive seen some on ebay thats says it wont affect anythin else, but you cant be too sure..
    It's ebay mate ....
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

Makinen...ha

Status
    lol, great point i know but i seriously cant afford oem xenons at 300+!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    lol, great point i know but i seriously cant afford oem xenons at 300+!
    Not sure of the age of your car but aftermarket Xenons are regarded as illegal by the DfT

See here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

and a check for them may soon be added to the MOT (again according to the DfT)

Personally if you don't already have OEM Xenons complete with the required headlamp washers and self-levelling I personally would stick to using some of the uprated halogen bulbs.

I have used the 50% extra Phillips Vision Plus bulbs in the past and they made a big difference and their are now The Phillips X-Treme Power and Osram Nightbreakers which offer 80% extra light and are still perfectly legal in normal halogen headlights.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    I think you're confusing this for another forum Nathan.
    Don't think I am Leon, Nigel and Mike got banned for having opinions

5th Gear

Status
    I think, as long as you have projector style headlights, you won't have a problem with blinding other people. Of course, if you're retro fitting into normal reflector style headlights, you'll blind other roads users and shouldn't do it. I fitted aftermarket "made in china" HID's to my previous car which came with projector headlights and didn't have a single problem - I was pulled once or twice in that time and they weren't even mentioned. Admittedly, I didn't have an MOT test during that time but I wouldn't anticipate a failure.

But I've probably just gone completely OT and posted something irrelevent, so ignore me, I just felt the need to post.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8KOW View Post
    Don't think I am Leon, Nigel and Mike got banned for having opinions
    You know full well why they were banned. Stop acting like they did.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I have used the 50% extra Phillips Vision Plus bulbs in the past and they made a big difference and their are now The Phillips X-Treme Power and Osram Nightbreakers which offer 80% extra light and are still perfectly legal in normal halogen headlights.
    I'd have to agree.
    I swapped my normal bulbs for some Phillips X-Treme Power bulbs (first and only mod so far!! ), and although obviously they aren't in the same league as HID they are very good, and the improvement over normal halogens is huge.
    No more yellow'ish beams.... pure white all the way!

And you only lose 20 to powerbulbs (plus a lot of knuckle skin when fitting), and they even throw in some free sidelights, just in case you try to escape with any of your hand skin still intact.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    lifetime ban for us both now....
    Not YET, 24 hrs will suffice !!

Sense of humour is fine, opinions are fine, personal attacks are not.

N8KOW, if you would like to join the "exclusive" club the others are in, carry on, otherwise get this back on track now.

Right, back on topic.

It would appear that its an OEM or the best Halogens you can get as i am sure due to people stuffing HIDs into non reflector headlamps and dazzling aeroplanes is giving everyone that has non OE HIDs a bad name.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8KOW View Post
    You shouldn't have said that Mike, you're not allowed an opinion on this forum, or a sense of humour, forum rules..
    I agree with you there mate.. too true, hence.. infraction.. LOL.

Audi A3 2.0L TDI S-Line Sportback

3rd Gear

Status
    the only problem about these aftermarket HID's is not only are they illegal, MOT testers will have do deem them illegal unless they are in projectors (i think) the have auto leveling (i know) and washers (i know) and to do all this correctly will probably end up costing a lot so you may as well do the full shabang and get the real things. but you will need a new front bumper with washer jets
    rs6's, H&R 35mm, lamin-x, vinyl wrapped grill, cupra splitter, black wing mirrors, de-badged, bmc air filter

2nd Gear

Status
    OK, I just posted this on another thread here a few hours ago so don't mind me if I repeat myself.

Ok... maybe a dumb question but did your car come with xenons or did you just get hold of a set of housings?

Here is what my experience and research on HID kits has taught me... (full disclaimer, I might well be talking out of my Ar$$e here...)

-It's not the wiper 'motor' that blows... there is a computer module built into the motor that gets fried by some of the power spikes caused by HID kits.

-Audi now knows about this issue and may not replace you motor under warranty if they know you have an HID kit.

-Most 55W kits will blow you wiper motor.

-Most(but not all) 35W kits will eventually blow you wiper motor.

-Digital ballast HID kits (i.e.: Retro Solutions kits) stand a much better chance of not blowing your wiper motor.

-I have yet to find anyone who has ran the Retro Solutions kit who has had a blown motor and I have spoken to ppl who have had them for 2.5 years +...

-It has come to my attention that recoding your light settings via VagCom may reduce your chances of a blown motor. I have just had it done today and that alone took away a minor flickering issue from my lights. When I would run my highbeams the left light would flicker very faintly. After changing the light from 'halogen lights' to 'xenon lights with halogen highbeams' the flickering went away. I believe it was Byte 21 from 11 which is halogen to 12 which is xenon... 13 is bi-xenon, I don't think you want to touch that one.

-Another suggestion is the CanBus module.

-Neither of the last two above mentioned methods have been guaranteed to prevent you blowing you wiper motor however. So the bottom line is you are gambling one way or the other with the wiper motor and you are better off sticking to OEM. Even if you have to wait a bit for the parts.

If anyone knows something I don't about the issue or knows something I mentioned is blatantly false... please say something, I want to hear about it. This is probably the only issue with my car that has been making my hair turn gray prematurely and I would love to find a true solution to the problem.

That is so far all I have managed to come up with about the wiper motor issue. Hope it helps someone at least.

Right now I am running the Retro Solutions 35W Digital HID kit with 6000K bulbs in a DEPO projector light housing. I have spoken with a few people here who have had the RS kit installed in their cars for a long time and had no issues. Two of them have had it for well over 2 years. Another kit which I know people have had installed for 2+ years is the VVME kit. I believe all of them are runnign the CanBus adapters though (this is the one I am talking about http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...LER-HID/Detail ). The cutoff is not the cleanest one you can get out there but it is good enough that I don't blind anyone in front of me and I can always adjust them down a bit if any one complains. I totaly agree that putting HID's in Halogen reflector housings is an idiotic idea, at the very least you should get projectors. As for buying OEM... I bought my car new but from the showroom floor so I had no option to get the OEM HID's ... and I don't know about in Europe but in North America I would be looking at about $2500 - $3000 CAD, which is the equivalent of 1200 - 1500 pounds to get a set retrofitted and that's only if I install them myself.
    Last edited by Gryphon001; 28th August 2009 at 17:25.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Thats is a very good bit of information thanks for sharing

2nd Gear

Status
    Now I hate to throw another spanner in the works, but I've taken out my OEM projector headlights and put the old reflector headlights back in because I can see better with those on undulating "snake pass" type roads.

Why?

Because the cut off is so sharp with the projector HID headlights, that you can't see anything that's above the beam cutoff, whereas with the reflector headlights you do get some light scatter above the flat beam cutoff...

Maybe the light thrown onto the road surface isn't quite as bright with +80 halogen bulbs, but driving regularly over an undulating road like snake pass, the reflector headlights on dipped beam actually gave a better spread of light than the projector HIDs and allowed me to see better as I was going down hills...

Going down a hill with the HIDs, the beam cutoff was so sharp that the road ahead (above where the beam stopped) was completely dark, whereas there was more scatter with the halogen reflectors so that you could still see where the road went...
    2012 White A5 Coupe TFSi Black Edition
    (Was 2004 A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG, owned from 2005 to 2012....)

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

[QUOTE=Byzan A4;795844]N8KOW, if you would like to join the "exclusive" club the others are in, carry on, otherwise get this back on track now[/QUOTE]

I'm already in the Audi-Sport club, thats a good enough club for me
    Last edited by N8; 29th August 2009 at 18:19.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

I always knew you were a good lad Mark

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alfiejts View Post
    Now I hate to throw another spanner in the works, but I've taken out my OEM projector headlights and put the old reflector headlights back in because I can see better with those on undulating "snake pass" type roads.

Why?

Because the cut off is so sharp with the projector HID headlights, that you can't see anything that's above the beam cutoff, whereas with the reflector headlights you do get some light scatter above the flat beam cutoff...

Maybe the light thrown onto the road surface isn't quite as bright with +80 halogen bulbs, but driving regularly over an undulating road like snake pass, the reflector headlights on dipped beam actually gave a better spread of light than the projector HIDs and allowed me to see better as I was going down hills...

Going down a hill with the HIDs, the beam cutoff was so sharp that the road ahead (above where the beam stopped) was completely dark, whereas there was more scatter with the halogen reflectors so that you could still see where the road went...
    I retro fitted S3 xenons to my old 8L A3 and I thought I'd a bad connection as they seemed to flicker but they were fine - it was as you said, the cut off was so abrupt!
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

"Started From The Bottom"

Status
    Problem Solved!!!

I've Had my H.I.D. for like 4 months now with no problems at all.
    a special box to provent anything from blowing...e.g. wiper motors, headlight motors...ect.. I did spend sometime looking for these xenons ...I had to get them from someone who was selling them is france...as no one in the UK sells these.. These are guaranteed from the seller that these will not blow any wiper motors or anything else on the car for that matter.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by digzz View Post
    Problem Solved!!!

I've Had my H.I.D. for like 4 months now with no problems at all.
    a special box to provent anything from blowing..
    Is this "speical box" a resistor wrapped up?

A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by navnayyar View Post
    Is this "speical box" a resistor wrapped up?

It's a Speical box.

2nd Gear

Status

Makinen...ha

Status
    diggz...get explainin yourself lad cos there's a lot of people wantin to know!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon001 View Post

Yes it's like that. It just clips on to the other end of the H.I.D. .