Audi to release RS3 at Frankfurt

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just spotted this on a US wbsite:

But the latest reports indicate that Ingolstadt is secretly preparing the RS3 hot hatch for its close up.

Based on the A3 premium hatch, the RS3 would firmly upstage the existing S3 with the TT RS powerplant, only reportedly tuned up to as much as 400 horsepower. That's a lot of horses, but you can bet Audi's signature Quattro all-wheel-drive system would be up to the task. Frankfurt debut or not, this is one four-ringed circus we're looking forward to, whenever it's ready.

I wonder.....

There's a blog on the Essex Audi website too, so looks like good info. Going to be expensive methinks, but have you heard the soundtrack to the TTRS? Wow!

Si

It had better be ****** good, with a bespoke body shell (a la M3), and not just another tweaked 'S-Line' like the current S3 is so they can justify the extreme cost.

I always worry that when they can churn out so many S/RS models that somewhere in the process the quality is being diluted. Look back to the Porsche collaboration with the old S2. An immense car for it's day, and still one of the fastest 30-70mph cars you can buy. When I look back today I deeply respect the mechanical engineering and the boundaries that were pushed to achieve the end goal.

Whilst the new cars are slick daily drivers there is a missing element that has been ironed out.

I'm very excited by the prospect, but am fearful that unless Audi take a really serious approach on this and levy the commitment Ford did with the new Focus RS that it may just end up being a soulless straight liner which is priced at a point where no glorified modified family run around shopping trolley deserves to be.

Fingers very tightly crossed, but breath not currently being held!

Jamie should be here very soon.....lol

Better start saving for the next 3 years lol

Think i'll join you :) But 4 years for me ha. Hope they do bring out an RS3 not that i could afford it new! Have to wait a few years for a used one

It had better be ****** good, with a bespoke body shell (a la M3), and not just another tweaked 'S-Line' like the current S3 is so they can justify the extreme cost.

I always worry that when they can churn out so many S/RS models that somewhere in the process the quality is being diluted. Look back to the Porsche collaboration with the old S2. An immense car for it's day, and still one of the fastest 30-70mph cars you can buy. When I look back today I deeply respect the mechanical engineering and the boundaries that were pushed to achieve the end goal.

Whilst the new cars are slick daily drivers there is a missing element that has been ironed out.

I'm very excited by the prospect, but am fearful that unless Audi take a really serious approach on this and levy the commitment Ford did with the new Focus RS that it may just end up being a soulless straight liner which is priced at a point where no glorified modified family run around shopping trolley deserves to be.

Agree with every thing you just said there Warren. Spot on. Lets hope its some thing special, boundaries are pushed and not just another tweaked 'S-Line' like the current S3 as you stated!

Last edited:
Yep, I see where you are coming from, the S3 certainly hasn't got the feel that my 9 year old scooby had. Then again, it was breeze wafting up and down the motorway to Glasgow and back!
I think it's the overall weight that makes the S3 feel different and not so involved as the scooby, although it does grip well and feels well balanced. So, yep, a new lightweight shell should be the order of the day, and maybe cut back on the amount of toys too to get the 'driveability'...

Still, at £40K+ for a new one, I probably won't be able to even join the queue for one!

Si

WOW That car does look stunning but Audi customer services have put me off.. I cant walk into dealership without swearing at them pre-hand .. I think in 3 years time there will be better alternatives and more choices available and fool like me wont just buy an Audi cuz of DRL (LEDs) lol .. New M5 2011 :respekt:

Sal

For 40K it needs to be very good.
But thats goes for any car with that price tag, AUDI or otherwise.

No reason why it shouldnt be good though, cant recall a `bad` AUDI RS so far, based on what Ive read/watched.

The S cars have all been fast-ish, safe, well specced and stylish all rounders, which is what the S3 is.
And the reason why I bought one.
Everything a SUBARU isnt really.
No doubt the Scoob is a good car, just very very different.

AUDI could completely reset the uber-hatch bar with this one, hope they do, new S4 has been well received so lets hope this is the sign of things to come.

Enter...Jamie K....

cheers
Paul

WOW That car does look stunning but Audi customer services have put me off.. I cant walk into dealership without swearing at them pre-hand .. I think in 3 years time there will be better alternatives and more choices available and fool like me wont just buy an Audi cuz of DRL (LEDs) lol .. New M5 2011 :respekt:

Sal

Sal when it comes to the New M5 in 2011 you know what to do with the Black Edition give it to me mate:sly::happy: haha

Sal when it comes to the New M5 in 2011 you know what to do with the Black Edition give it to me mate:sly::happy: haha

LOl Bro .. as long as i dont sell it next year and move to Dubai to live with my parents .. My cars are urs lol :laugh:

LOl Bro .. as long as i dont sell it next year and move to Dubai to live with my parents .. My cars are urs lol :laugh:

Lol i'll hold you to that mate... See you in 2011!:laugh: Hmm Dubai nice choice:cool: Never been there but looks beautiful!

For 40K it needs to be very good.
But thats goes for any car with that price tag, AUDI or otherwise.

No reason why it shouldnt be good though, cant recall a `bad` AUDI RS so far, based on what Ive read/watched.

The S cars have all been fast-ish, safe, well specced and stylish all rounders, which is what the S3 is.
And the reason why I bought one.
Everything a SUBARU isnt really.
No doubt the Scoob is a good car, just very very different.

AUDI could completely reset the uber-hatch bar with this one, hope they do, new S4 has been well received so lets hope this is the sign of things to come.

Enter...Jamie K....

cheers
Paul

The uber-hatch, like it!
By the way, don't scoff at the scooby, it was a very reliable and highly driveable car, easy to maintain and practical. Only really let down by the chav image. The excessive road noise got to me in the end, but I did keep it for 3.5 years. The crappy roads where I live are more suited to the Impreza too :-(

Si

The uber-hatch, like it!
By the way, don't scoff at the scooby, it was a very reliable and highly driveable car, easy to maintain and practical. Only really let down by the chav image. The excessive road noise got to me in the end, but I did keep it for 3.5 years. The crappy roads where I live are more suited to the Impreza too :-(

Si

Agree, the Scooby has legendary staus, Im sure for good reason!

Ive only ever driven the Bug eye (breifly) and wasnt terribly excited by it in std Uk spec (205bhp iirc) but Im sure that wasnt the best one to get true appreciation.

I always saw the Scooby as an alternative to the more hardcore hatches, in fact I drove it back to back with the CTR (and bought the CTR in the end).
Never really consdierd it when ive looked at Golfs and laterly the S3.
Guess that was what I was trying to say, nay scoffing awa` here binnie lad (thats Geordie btw):icon_thumright:

cheers
Paul

Indeed, they are very good cars, although the interiors leave a little to be desired!
Mine was the last of the 'classics', a year 2000. Started life with 215bhp, but I added a fast flow cat, and resonated Hayward & Scott s/steel zorst (not too loud), K&N panel filter, then had a custom remap, up to 273bhp. The Impreza comes to life when you are beltng down a narrow bumpy back road in the ******* rain, then you realise what it's all about. The Subaru bucket seats are sublime too. Never ever noticed any turbo lag either, before of after the tuning process. Unlike the S3 :(

Not been up to the north east for a while, did like it up there!
Er, way aye man!

cheers
Si

Last edited:
Indeed, they are very good cars, although the interiors leave a little to be desired!
Mine was the last of the 'classics', a year 2000. Started life with 215bhp, but I added a fast flow cat, and resonated Hayward & Scott s/steel zorst (not too loud), K&N panel filter, then had a custom remap, up to 273bhp. The Impreza comes to life when you are beltng down a narrow bumpy back road in the ******* rain, then you realise what it's all about. The Subaru bucket seats are sublime too. Never ever noticed any turbo lag either, before of after the tuning process. Unlike the S3 :(

Not been up to the north east for a while, did like it up there!
Er, way aye man!

cheers
Si

Aye, Gods country is the NE.
Except is rains every other day.

So not many Focus RS`s about up here.........:whistle2:

Ad for Scoobys, went with ££ in pocket on 2 seprate occasions to buy a Scoob, about 8-9 years back for the Classic version, and about 4-5 yrs back for the bug eye, both fell through for various reasons.
Bizzarely I like the new Sti (in white) for some reason. maybe an itch thats never been scratched?

Errr...sorry guys, bit off topic.

So,RS3, yes please, now wheres that lottery ticket....

Paul:icon_thumright:

I totally agree with you Warren, but do you really think they will lay out for a bespoke shell, i don't. If you look at the TTRS is it really worthy of the RS tag, I'm not so sure having read reports in mags etc, it does appear that RS cars have and will continue to be diluted and will not have the engineering brilliance of some of the past RS models.
I would love an RS3 if only for that gorgeous soundtrack that the TTRS emits, will I get one?? probably, providing the price tag is not too silly.

Mark

Last edited:
RS badge or not, it's still basically a £14k family hatchback that rialled through the RS parts bin. When you think the TT is part steel, part aluminium and that is a cost worth bearing there must be something they could do to make the RS3 more agile. It's the weight that kills these cars.

RS badge or not, it's still basically a £14k family hatchback that rialled through the RS parts bin. When you think the TT is part steel, part aluminium and that is a cost worth bearing there must be something they could do to make the RS3 more agile. It's the weight that kills these cars.

It'd be good if they fitted the active diff setup from the S4, but given its not in the TT RS then thats unlikely.

Well if it is going to be released, hopefully I will get the chance to see one in the metal...

I have just re-arranged the dates of my return from a holiday with my A3 in Austria so that I can spend a day at the Frankfurt Motor Show.