Question for S3 owners....

Ash B

Reaction score
Hi

Just a quick questions i've heard and read some where regarding S3 pushing out more BHP than 265bhp from standard? Think there was a member on here who S3 standard was running more than 265. If any one could explain it for me? Or am i just imaging things:think: lol

Thanks

iirc Phantom had his S3 on different rollers more than once and consistently saw figures above 265, hes not alone on this I believe.

The theory is that AUDI quote 265ps `conservatively` assuming the car could be running crap fuel and still achieve these figures.
And that a properly run in car using 99Ron fuel, can see more figures of upto 280bhp ish.
It all depends on how much you beleive the rollers.
Thats my understanding anyhoo.
BUT...any self respecting S3 owner will be seeing 300bhp+ because he would have wisely invested in a Remap:)

cheers
Paul

mine's at 288 bhp standard.

on 97 ron

go figure

I went to a RR and it was a true one as I had mine tested a month later and exactly the same figures but the thing was there was few new uns doing very good figures....had giac,revo maps but I remember a standard one which was 290 approx also a few more doing better than 265.
I spoke to Auld Reekie about this and either the extra power cars are testers for performance or just lucky.

The engine seems to loosen up considerably after a few thousand miles,which may also have some impact on power,but there is bound to be some variation in power output from scratch anyway.

Mine just about made 270bhp before being remapped.

Search "Prosport Rolling Road" - quite a few standard cars from that day were showing over 280bhp. It's pretty common.

Does anyone have any clear evidence as to what the WHP is after transmission losses etc..

BSR measured the standard car at 278bhp and 374 Nm of torque...

Si

Mine has always been between 250 and 260 at the wheels. To be honest, that's the only power figure I'm ever interested in. If it doesn't make it to the road, you can't use it, can you?

I agree - but isn't it impossible to accurately convert one number to another ? I thought "at the wheel" horsepower was only accurately obtainable from a bench dyno which cost about a trillion pounds or something. Every other method of deriving the ATW figure is just a wet finger in the wind isn't it ?

You are thinking of the @ the fly, as the rollers are able to measure ATW, and some random measure of in the wind finger sticking area is used to work out losses for the Fly figure.

Mitch

260 ATW is a lot for only 280 to 300 @ the fly, its remarkably low losses

Andy, as Mark says, it's the other way around. Wheel figures are nice and simple to get, as the rolling roads physically measure the power at the wheels. Flywheel power is what you need a bench setup for.

BTW Mark, I agree that it seems like very low losses, but who am I to argue? (especially when it's about a figure that I'm not interested in!)

I was expecting 40-50hp loss for Haldex (think 2wd cars lose about 20 odd)

Is it true that when you are rolling at speed you need significantly (and I'm talking 100+bhp and similar torques) more to offset Haldex drivetrain losses over our 2wd equivalents (or is this another urban myth?).

You are thinking of the @ the fly, as the rollers are able to measure ATW, and some random measure of in the wind finger sticking area is used to work out losses for the Fly figure.

Lee/Mark - thanks for clearing that one up - I knew there was a wet finger involved somewhere !

Hi every one thanks for the replys and answering my question lol did have another one but that been answered in this thread aswell.
So it seems pretty common, bet a few of you was suprised when ti went on the rollers. Thanks:icon_thumright:

iirc Phantom had his S3 on different rollers more than once and consistently saw figures above 265, hes not alone on this I believe.

The theory is that AUDI quote 265ps `conservatively` assuming the car could be running crap fuel and still achieve these figures.
And that a properly run in car using 99Ron fuel, can see more figures of upto 280bhp ish.
It all depends on how much you beleive the rollers.
Thats my understanding anyhoo.
BUT...any self respecting S3 owner will be seeing 300bhp+ because he would have wisely invested in a Remap:)

cheers
Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for answering my questions. What gains does Revo Stage one give you?

Search "Prosport Rolling Road" - quite a few standard cars from that day were showing over 280bhp. It's pretty common.

Thanks for that Iggu will have a read over that thread now.