How black are yours ?

Spin140

Reaction score
Have you rempped guys noticed an increase in sooty deposits on your exhaust tips and the rear end of the car ?

I seem to remember I had this on the silver S3 and is very noticeable on the Ibis one I have now, all other cars usually black so I guess not as noticeable, am guessing this is due to incresed fueling and richer running for engine protection.

Spin

Thats just took me back, my first A3 was a remapped 2.0tdi with Jet style tips and in Akoya silver so I know what you mean :)

I don't really have anything to compare with as mine was remapped after only 750 miles. It's not THAT bad anyway!

I was running stock for about 12 months on my car, and the exhausts got black very quickly even then, can't say I've noticed any difference since having the map.
I use Meg NXT metal polish on them at each wash and that prevents the black from bonding to the exhaust so it comes off way easier.

I was running stock for about 12 months on my car, and the exhausts got black very quickly even then, can't say I've noticed any difference since having the map.
I use Meg NXT metal polish on them at each wash and that prevents the black from bonding to the exhaust so it comes off way easier.

Me too Jamie, Autosol + wirewool + Megs NXT MP + occasionally blackfire metal sealant

I need buckets so badly.

No trouble keeping mine clean either - I do like rubbing my pipes :)

I think I'm only noticing it after having the Milltek replaced at the weekend, I have some nice shiny rolled tips now and a very loud (IMO) non resonated system, considering switching the centre section back to resonated but will do Fridays track evening first and see how I get on.

I'll be interested to hear if you ahve issues on track Spin.

My centre section is custom (by that I mean straight through!) so can be noisy on full load.
I'm hoping to be on track at ADI and they have a 97 or 98d/b limit there.

It will be ok for this friday as a 'loud' session at Cadwell park courtesy of BMW car club, a bargain too at £79, actually camping overnight with my pal who is taking his Saab 2.8 V6 T and staying to watch some of the Motorcycle racing the next day.

Should be fun.

I think I'm only noticing it after having the Milltek replaced at the weekend, I have some nice shiny rolled tips now and a very loud (IMO) non resonated system, considering switching the centre section back to resonated but will do Fridays track evening first and see how I get on.

My cousin's Big Turbo TT is LOUD, 3" downpipe, straight through the Milltek back box, sounds mint man, love the sound of the wastegate :) But I do agree with you, been out in Matt's non res S3, sounds very very quiet man, can hardly hear it! But he likes it so its all good...

Last edited:
spin how often do you change cars !! its hard work trying to keep up with you, if my wife complains i'm going to get her to register on here and she can see you past history !!

PS, you think the non res is too loud ? is that because of the sports cat ? i'm considering the non res then the sports cat at a later date and possibly the K&N Typhoon as its cheaper than the EVOM

my s3 is remapped with superchips bluefin , and must say ive not noticed it getting any worse , a regular clean keeps it in tact & prestine !!!!!!

lsw s3

I use that stuff too - Do you just do the outside or use it inside the pipes as much as you can reach - if that makes sense?