Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    GlasgowRangersFC

Status

Completely New 2010 A3

When is the new look A3 to be launched? Are rumours of a 4 door sedan true? Does anybody have any pics?
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

2. # ADS
    ADS

As far as I know Audi do not intend to launch a new A3 until at least 2011, maybe 2012. Other than that I have not seen any confirmed details.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    You are joking. I was hoping end of 2010 at latest. I may have to look at other brands but was really hoping to get the new A3 next year. Many sites indicate 2010.
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

Gears of War

Status
    "Its not so much that I set out to make an S3, its just I think the S3 is the best body kit for an A3."

AUSmotive.com

Status
    Looks like they just squashed an A5.
    AUSmotive.com // AUSringers.com

AUDI: MY10 S3 (8P3) / Nav+AMI / Sunroof / Blackout Grille / RS6 FBMFSW / PSS10s / Milltek TBE / APR HPFP / APR Stage 2+ tune

Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers View Post
    You are joking. I was hoping end of 2010 at latest. I may have to look at other brands but was really hoping to get the new A3 next year. Many sites indicate 2010.
    We are already in the 2010 Model Year as far as Audi is concerned and I don't see if being available for 2011 Model Year which starts in July 2010 but who, apart from Audi themselves, knows for sure. As soon as they release details of the new model the sales of the existing model will take a hit.

This is a comment from a recent Autocar magazine:
    The new Audi A3 will go on sale in early 2011 and the saloon model will sit alongside the hatchback, sportback and cabriolet body styles.

You could always buy another existing A3...
    Last edited by h5djr; 17th August 2009 at 14:40.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Gears of War

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
    what will happen to the a5's led layout!
    "Its not so much that I set out to make an S3, its just I think the S3 is the best body kit for an A3."

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
    Thats not such a bad thing

is a retronaut

Status
    Both the 8P1 and 8P2 were around for about 3 years so I'd expect the same at least for the 8P3, i.e. MY12.

Don't forget the MkVI Golf is only just out on the same platform and the MkV was around for 5 or so years.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an 8P4. Given that Audi seem to be selling more A3s than ever before I don't see why they'd need to change the shape completely.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Both the 8P1 and 8P2 were around for about 3 years so I'd expect the same at least for the 8P3, i.e. MY12.

Don't forget the MkVI Golf is only just out on the same platform and the MkV was around for 5 or so years.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an 8P4. Given that Audi seem to be selling more A3s than ever before I don't see why they'd need to change the shape completely.

So this is shared with the Golf MK VI, does anyone know which other VAG cars use this?

Does this mean normally Audi lead the way in designing a new chassis from the ground up and then this gets filtered down to VW, Seat and then Skoda?
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 140 Sport S-Tronic (8P3)

Aruba Blue

Alu Roof Rails*Cruise*BOSE*USB

Quote Originally Posted by Igdos View Post
    So this is shared with the Golf MK VI, does anyone know which other VAG cars use this?

Does this mean normally Audi lead the way in designing a new chassis from the ground up and then this gets filtered down to VW, Seat and then Skoda?
    I think you will find it's the other way round. VW design the platform for the Golf and then Audi use the same platform for the A3, but with some minor changes. I don't think anyone else the group is currently using the Golf VI platform.

As far as their smaller cars are concerned Audi are currently working on getting the A1 into full production.
    Last edited by h5djr; 17th August 2009 at 17:15.
    Dave R (h5djr)

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I think you will find it's the other way round. VW design the platform for the Golf and then Audi use the same platform for the A3, but with some minor changes. I don't think anyone else the group is currently using the Golf VI platform.

As far as their smaller cars are concerned Audi are currently working on getting the A1 into full production.
    Is that right? I assumed it was the other way round, The 8P was out a whole year earlier than the mk5 golf.

Also the fabia/Ibizas are always out before the POLO.
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    Is that right? I assumed it was the other way round, The 8P was out a whole year earlier than the mk5 golf.

Also the fabia/Ibizas are always out before the POLO.
    In the case of the Fabia/Ibizas VW often use one of the other brands to try out the new platform before putting in production on a VW model. The numbers involved are a lot less for the other brands.

I think you will find it's the VW design office that does most of the work on any new VAG platform, although it is sometimes used by one of the other brands first. Audi tend to do more of the design work on the engines and gearboxes for the group, although the DSG/S-tonic was originally designed by VW in conjuction with Borg-Warner. Audi used the DSG in the A3 and then started work on the necessary changes to make it work with their North-South engine layout.
    Dave R (h5djr)

is a retronaut

Status
    Ah I thought the MkVI was the same platform as the MkV. It's not exactly a big change between them.

So I guess they will make a new model after all.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Here is a list of the current VAG models that use the PQ35 platform used by the A3 8P. As you can see the fist model to use it was the Volkwagen Touran followed by the A3.

* 2003 Volkwagen Touran
    * 2004 Audi A3 II
    * 2004 Volkswagen Caddy
    * 2004 SEAT Altea
    * 2004 VW Golf/Rabbit V
    * 2005 Skoda Octavia II
    * 2005 SEAT Toledo III
    * 2006 VW Jetta/Vento/Bora V
    * 2006 SEAT Leon II
    * 2007 VW Eos
    * 2007 Audi TT II
    * 2008 Volkswagen Tiguan (compact crossover SUV)

The new Golf 6 is built on a modified version of the existing PQ35 platform rather than a completely new platform and I assume the new A3 will also be built on a similar modified version. The main changes, apart from appearance between the Golf 5 and 6, were done to make it easier and therefore cheaper to build.
    Dave R (h5djr)

1st Gear

Status
    Others can confirm (or otherwise) the accuracy of this, but i think the first few dates have been accurate. Spotted this @ tyresmoke at the back end of 2007 - infers new A3 towards the end of 2010. No doubt things could have moved on / delayed since this, but I'd imagine this date to be the earliest thought for the new one.

Which will almost certainly mean very late 2010 or early 2011 for the UK and possibly not all models available at the launch.
    Dave R (h5djr)