How To: Door Card Removal

Staz

is a retronaut
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As I was taking my door card off anyway I thought I'd post a little how to. There are a few threads that tell you how to do it but none that I know of with pictures so here goes:

Tools

• 1, maybe 2 flathead screw drivers
  • Torx bit, dunno what size but you'll find it in any normal set
  • Big cohunes
The Door
DSC00855.jpg

Step 1
You need to remove the insert to access the screws underneath. It's held in with some clips all the way along and comes off fairly easily. I have found the easiest place to start it off is on the bend like in the picture. Today I used 1 screwdriver to start it and then another a little further along to gently prise it out. You may want to use something like a sponge on the trim to prevent any damage to it.
DSC00856.jpg

DSC00858.jpg

Step 2

You then need to remove the 3 torx screws that hold the door in place. There are 2 underneath the trim you have removed and one at the bottom of the doorcard.
DSC00859-circ.jpg

DSC00860.jpg

Step 3:
Using the big cohunes you now need to start to unclip the card from the door starting at the bottom and working around. They're very tight at first and you seem to have to pull very hard but they do come off! I started at the bottom by the speaker:
DSC00863.jpg

Step 4
Once the clips are all undone, pull the card away from the door slightly and then working from the outside edge lift the card off of the top of the door. It may be a bit stuck at first but give it some side to side wiggles and it'll come away.

Step 5
The card will still be attached to the door by the electrical cable and the door release cable.
To disconnect the cable press the little button under the pink lever, pull the lever down and the connector will pop out:
DSC00864.jpg

DSC00865-1.jpg

DSC00866.jpg

To undo the door release cable pop it out of the lock and then unhook it:
DSC00867.jpg

DSC00870-Copy.jpg

Once they are off the card will be free to remove completely:
DSC00872-circ.jpg

The red and yellow circles are the clips that need to be popped. The red one is different from the rest for some reason. The green circles are the holes for the torx screws.

Refitting
The refitting is the reverse of the removal but make sure you connect the door release cable properly (my misus was stuck in my car once lol) and before putting the insert back in check that the metal retaining holes are seated properly or it can be a bit difficult:
DSC00862.jpg

Replacement clip part numbers:

For the yellow clips that are circled in yellow:

8P0 868 243

The other clip is attached to the door card itself and clips into where the red circle is:

8E0 868 243

Last edited:
Reactions: Southall87, doctor46goat, shadow1993 and 3 others
Thanks very much - very helpful. I will hopefully be attempting this tomorrow as I had my door resprayed and Audi can't seem to cure the rattle that's coming from the door. It can't be that hard!!!

Does anyone have part nos for the clips, specifically the ones highlighted in yellow:

DSC00872-circ.jpg

YES! I broke one! But it's by the speaker so I can clip it back in fairly easy when I've ordered it.

Also noticed that AUDI have damaged the little bit on the door card which the green screw at the bottom goes through, it's pretty much snapped off - anyone else have this prob?

Thanks

Last edited:
I've had to replace both sorts of clip before so if no one beats me too it I'll dig out the numbers tomorrow.

The hole on the bottom of one of my door cards is wrecked too mate. My fault though!

I've had to replace both sorts of clip before so if no one beats me too it I'll dig out the numbers tomorrow.

The hole on the bottom of one of my door cards is wrecked too mate. My fault though!

Nice one thanks. I did get one of the big(ger) clips from Audi without the part no but they weren't sure of the yellow ones.

Ahh, any probs because of the wrecked screw thing? no rattles or anything?

I've also got a whistle coming from passenger door when doing motorway speeds since I took the door card off and sound proofed it all - lol not sure what it could be really unless there's a bit of sound proofing not stuck properly and a small draft at high speeds behind the door card...

I don't have much luck! :sob:

I've put the part numbers in the OP mate :icon_thumright:

That screw doesn't make any difference really :shrug:

Sorry to be a pain (again) but do you have the part number for the bit which the yellow clips "clip" into, which are on the door card? Or do these come with 8P0 868 243? Cheers!

Last edited:
I think I may have made a mistake with the part numbers actually mate. 8E0 868 243 is the black clip at the rear of the card itself which are the ones I ordered and I simply assumed that the other number listed was for the yellow clips but it's on the door card drawing itself so it must actually be for the white clips that the yellow ones clips into. Does that make sense?!

I'm not 100% though but it's worth a try.

im picking up a new doorcard today & was wondering... should i order some clips from Audi prior to removing and installing my new one? worried ill break them im known to be clumsy!

Hi,

Does anyone know if the door pocket can be separated from the door card once off?

Thanks

Great write up. Just wanted to ask how to take this part off as my drivers side has a crack in it.
H5ecz.jpg

Not sure. I think the whole card is in two parts and the handles are glued on.

The handle is screwed on from the other side otf the door cars, plus the screws that you can see this side at the top of the handle. it just comes away from the doot along with the window switches, which just pull out. (Mines a sportback though but I guess there similar).

Like I said this is a sportback door card but Im guessing it should be similar...Red rings show the screws that hole the handle and switches in place.
IMG_1514.jpg

Great, thanks for the help and pics. Will bookmark now for when the time comes.

Reviving a fantastic old thread. Will need to pull the cards off to install LED puddle lights and fix the frkkin water leaks when it rains heavily. I think I narrowed it down to the clip that holds the motor/regulator etc holder to the metal frame of the door which is leaking through.

Now looking at the pics I can see where the water is leaking from. It's the ****** bottom of the speaker!!

great write up. just used it to pull my door cards open to fix a water leak through the bose speakers seal!! only thing to add that on top of the rec circle where the clip is different there is another one the same. I believe yours is broken and its only the black bit with the seal that remains on your door. Dont worry I broke mine too hehe. mine tore apart so had to remove it completely and replace it with a rubber grommet. I think there are enough clips in the area to hold the door card. Now i have to figure a way of fixing the leak. i think i will use silicon.

I need to replace both wing mirrors and will attemp door card removal myself. Can anyone point out which is the cable for the wing mirror?

DSC00872-circ.jpg

Hi Mate,

Sorry for the very late reply. I PMed you the solution. Works perfect. Created a seal using silicon bought from autostore (liquidy type in a tube that dries and turns into rubber).

i have the same problem, how did you solve it mate?

Guys anyone knows the part number for the white plastic bits that sit on the card itself and the yellow clips clip into? noticed one was missing thanks to the mechanics at Audi who replaced the window regulator. They also damaged the black cover that the door handle cable runs through!! bunch of idiots being hired now days!!! im so sick of this. they then dont say a word and hope we dont know about it because we cannot see it. They also damaged the curved rubber trim (you can see it just above the top green circle in the pic above). I'm so blasting them on Monday!!

Reviving this thread again.

I'm struggling removing the drivers side door card on my three door.

Cannot locate the bottom of these two screws

DSC00859-circ.jpg

The rest of the card comes away except attached still in the middle.

Is there another screw in a different place on the drivers side as the electric mirror controls are in the way?

Very cool.

On a related note the "leather" on my driver's side arm rest has got a couple of small tears in it, so I either need to repair them (if possible) or replace the armrest. Does anyone know how difficult that might be and/or have a part number?

This is the last comment I make on the matter as Im not getting locked into a childish spat.

Initially your assistance was appreciated (hence my thanks to you), however, it was tarnished by your patronising manner in further correspondence.

Leave it now,
Thank you

Mike, I have been on here for almost 9 years but only regularly for the last few months, I have a lot of catching up, hence my username :)

Very cool.

On a related note the "leather" on my driver's side arm rest has got a couple of small tears in it, so I either need to repair them (if possible) or replace the armrest. Does anyone know how difficult that might be and/or have a part number?

I need to know this as well, Or I am going down the retrimming route!