clunk when moving off

hollows wife

Reaction score
in the last few days car has developed a clunk when moving off with car on full lock

does it in reverse also ,but only does it once in the same direction

example if i drive round in a circle the car will only clunk once when setting off . for it to make the noise again i have to turn the steering in the opposite direction , stop the car then full lock again for it to happen .

had a quick look earlier .

only a few weeks ago fitted top mounts , new strut on passenger side,new ball joints ,wishbone rubbers . arb links .

seems the old mk4 had a similar sort of problem and no difinative answer

Last edited by a moderator:
i think there was a similar thread like this recently..can't seem to find it though!

clunk on moving in a turn could also be the drive shaft cv joint, particularly the outside one.

after reading through loads of posts it looks like it could be heading towards the steering rack .

what i would like to know is what goes wrong with the rack ??

or is it just the rack ends that wear and by lowering the car etc puts extra strain on these parts causing the noise .

i had this after fitting my suspension........it was the anti-roll bar drop link that attaches to the strut(shocker)

this maybe a silly comment but ignore it if it is!

you sure it's not the brake pads moving after going from reverse to forward motion?