some lowering advice pllleeeeeeasssse!!

maxjaye

Reaction score
Hi all

just joined up today and was hoping for some wise words from you guys!!

I have a 2006 a3 1.6 which i have just got all the parts to do an S3 conversion (well other than the bi -xenons...) <<(another story)

but anyway...

i have just put some 18 rs4 wheels on the car and it obviously looks nicer but the gaps between the arches and the wheels are way too much and i now want to lower it.

im not particularly intrested in 'slamming' it but just making it look like (and hopefully feel) like an S3 or S line

ive seen some springs on ebay but to be honest im not sure what ones are best and will also give me the desired lowering.

Can i swap over S-line/S3 springs or shocks to mine
Do i have to have both or will their springs work on my shocks???

any help will be much appreciated...

will upload some pics shortly.
cheers

I do not think you can just swop them over as the brakes are a different size therefore your hub mounts for the shocks will be different.

I had FK coilovers in my 2.0tdi and they were fantastic - there are other brands of coilover like KW, EIBACH, WEITEC etc...

Spring wise, I have just fitted H&R springs to my S3 and they are awesome!! nearly as low as my A3 on coilovers but a lot more comfortable and handles a lot better

Check out eibach or h&r springs

If you were wanting the S3 look, I would be looking into buying a full suspension set up or coilovers!

You do not have to slam the car on coils just because you can, lower to your taste! IMO, it would be a waste if the coils were not down to the best height i.e. just over the tyre :)

IMO, it would be a waste if the coils were not down to the best height i.e. just over the tyre :)

My thoughts exactly!!
Thanks for the suggestions Boydie.

Coils can be just as comfortable as standard springs - the car will handle better and you will be in more touch with it!

Since you have a 1.6, I wouldnt really consider much else other than coils to be honest - if you are wanting the lowered look with just springs, the shocks would not compress enough so may as well go the whole hog!

Check out the KW/WIETEC/FK/EIBACHS sure

Coils are MORE comfortable than springs + adjustable height, so if the car is too low/too high for you, you have the ability to adjust with springs you don't.

Buy cheap = Buy twice.

spings and shocks imo, the handeling advantages of coils wont be noticed with on the road driving. If you do lots of track days then look to coilovers but id say shocks and springs. although DPM have coils on cheap offers at the moment.

the handeling advantages of coils wont be noticed with on the road driving

That is the most incorrect statement I've ever read on a forum.......I drive my car hard when I feel like it, and even an S3 owner has commented how my FWD car has better handling than his 4WD S3.

:thumbsup:good for you mate from personal experiance i cant seem to find my difference. Best handeling mod was the ARBs stiffened for me, I took my last leon to the nurburgring and changing from springs and shocks to coils didnt seem to make much of a difference if any, just made the car lower and put the camber further out.

:thumbsup:good for you mate from personal experiance i cant seem to find my difference. Best handeling mod was the ARBs stiffened for me, I took my last leon to the nurburgring and changing from springs and shocks to coils didnt seem to make much of a difference if any, just made the car lower and put the camber further out.

Coils + ARBs = Transformed my car

Can't wait to test it in the winter with the new 18"s/P Zero Rossos along with DSG map and remap :)

Coils are MORE comfortable than springs + adjustable height, so if the car is too low/too high for you, you have the ability to adjust with springs you don't.

Buy cheap = Buy twice.

Sure, i hear what you're saying about buying on the cheap

Comfort is definitely a factor N8KOW.
I do want it a bit lower but dont want to feel like im driving fred flinstones car either so thanks for the heads up :icon_thumright:

arn't the weitecs on special offer at the moment?

oh dear, i'm seeing up to 50mm lowering spring kits for sub £200 and coilovers are £500 upward. The difference better be worth it!

oh dear, i'm seeing up to 50mm lowering spring kits for sub £200 and coilovers are £500 upward. The difference better be worth it!

Well the equivilant would be shocks + springs which will work out the same if not more, but yes it is worth it, stop beating about the bush and ORDER THEM :keule:

Lowering 50mm on just springs won't be nearly as good as lowering 50mm on a matched springs and shocks or coilover kit so it'll be worth it.

Damian @ DPM Performance