Help with Phone Upgrade in A3

luvie

Reaction score
My MRS just got her 1st A3 and loves it, I will post pictures soon.
The Car has a Nokia 5110 OLD brick of a phone fitted. It is exceptionally handy as its obviously hands free and it comes up on the dash and stereo when it rings and cuts off the music....See PIC attached
Im sorry If I am stating the obvious but very un-technical here.
The question is the following
Is there anyway of getting a new cradle fitted without taking parts off the interior for her more modern Nokia phone.
and is it also possible to have my Iphone working off the same system?
It is the Audi Concert stereo in the car, or is she better upgrading the stereo to an aftermarket one?
HELP HELP HELP

Thanks
LUVIE

I'm not expert but I think that's an aftermarket phone kit wired in. I would guess it doesn't use any of the OEM kit and is some sort of clever adaptor that speaks to the stereo.

I would imagine that you could replace just the end of it that plugs into the phone so you can fit other phones. Any brand names anywhere? How old is the car?

You could always strip the whole thing out and retrofit the Audi or other bluetooth module.

Here are the search results for 'retrofit bluetooth' in 8P if that interests you:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/search.php?searchid=1252214

You will be looking at £400 odd for someone to do it for you but you can get extra features like names on the DIS, bluetooth connection and if you go aftermarket you can get A2DP for music streaming!

Thanks Mate

She just went into Halfords and got the phone kit removed and got a bluetooth stereo fitted so all is good

Thanks for your help

Luvie

Thanks Mate

She just went into Halfords and got the phone kit removed and got a bluetooth stereo fitted so all is good

Thanks for your help

Luvie

You entrusted halfords to do that, damn you're brave, trust me they're pretty awful at most things, seen some crap workmanship & also my bikes I returned were crap setup, hope they didnt damage anything, glad you sorted as its best option as Leon says pricewise.

The nokia kit just earths the pin on radio which would then signal to mute stereo & also tell stereo to show telephone in display, so basic kit really when you got the car, I have known of kits to show more, but for that phone given its age I'd say was just the interconnect with speaker & mute wires with a bad fitment of the dashmount, you can see the nice gap between radio & climate, but better than screws in trims.

what does the original bluetooth look like, does it have a cradle?

Remember the BT module is wireless to your phone so its not a visible fitted module given its bluetooth, doesnt need to be visible.

If spec'd phone prep from factory then most I've known get the BT module which is installed under passenger seat in a plastic housing hidden under carpet & either armrest base plate fitted inside for backplate for different phones they do the plates for or a base plate fitted into the dash, personally I wouldnt entertain any base plate fitments just the BT module.

They dont do for all phones either, so using the BT module is by far the best option given all integrates nicely & is hidden.

car im looking at has a charging cradle adapter. but it says Audi Bluetooth with Full Stereo Integration so maybe he lies i dunno. But if it does have a cradle where would i buy the replacement for my phone. if they even do one for the iphone.

I Have to say the fitted a Sony Bluetooth Head unit and made a perfect Job, Sound quality is superb. It charges and plays my Iphone and then if the phone goes that works through the stereo and the mic is behind the stereo. Phone sound quality through the MIC is perfect, even being 6 foot and sitting well back in the car..

Luvie

It did have a charging cradle which was a ****** eyesore. But the Headunit charges the Iphone too, So I or should I say she is over the moon

Luvie