Hi Everyone, Newbie With a Few Questions!

L2DFP

Reaction score
Hi!

I have recently bought a 2004 A3 1.6se in toucan yellow, absolutely over the moon with the car as a package as it ticks all the boxes and more that it needs to!

It is still in warranty from the selling garage which is local to me. I have already had the aircon compressor replaced with a new unit under warranty due to a leak!

However I am after a second opinion reagarding the clutch. It may be that i have brought this on myself by purchasing the first one I took out, so I have nothing to compare to.

The clutch pedal doesnt seem to return to the fully 'up' position immediately after changing gear, It sits approximately 1-2" below the height of the brake pedal. most of the time it will return to the fully 'up' position after approximately 10 seconds but sometimes I have to use my foot to pull it up the rest of the way. There is no evidence of any clutch slip.
Also I have noticed that while changing from 3rd to 2nd gear decelerating, when engaging the cluch in the lower gear there is a 'severe' judder. This judder isnt evident with 4th to 3rd or 5th to 4th gear changes?

Any Ideas?? I would like an Idea of possible faults before I claim under the warranty as I commented before I bought the car that "the clutch wasnt what I was used to" and the garage claimed to have had it checked out before I collected it, and they say it is ok!?

Many thanks

Doug

Could be one of the cylinders...(master/slavE)

Are there any leaks and do you have to top up the fluid regularly?

Hi,

There are no leaks as far as I can see, and I havent had to top up the fluid at all.

The garage say that as it is a second hand car and has done 58k and that everything is still technically working that until something actually breaks they wont do anything.

Obviously I would rather a prevention than a cure! Its too late when you have broken down!

Any I deas on a fitted price for the master/slave cylinder??

Cheers

Doug

You say theres a judder when changing gear - that could be the engager part of the clutch where is disconnects the from the engine so you can change gear...(forgotten what its actually called - pressure plate or something)

TBH - you need a garage to check it to out...

Need to make sure all the clutch master and slave are working as they should be and if they are, the gearbox will need to come off to check the condition of the clutch.

The last hydraulic fluid change seems to be in 2006, could this cause that much of a problem?

I understand the logic of the master/slave cylinder not returning correctly causing the pedal to also not return, could this also cause the juddering?

Cheers

You beat me to it!

Thanks for your advice, I will push for a new master cylinder and see if that solves my problems!

Cheers

The last hydraulic fluid change seems to be in 2006, could this cause that much of a problem?

I understand the logic of the master/slave cylinder not returning correctly causing the pedal to also not return, could this also cause the juddering?

Cheers

You need to check your manual to see how often it shouldbe changed. off th top of head its 2 years or 20k but cant remember and my car manual are at my parents house....

You beat me to it!

Thanks for your advice, I will push for a new master cylinder and see if that solves my problems!

Cheers

You need to check them first -slave cylinder will be more common. You need to look for corossion as if the fluid left in for too long, it will cause moisture which will lead to corrosion. Or even the seals can go.