ALARM LED ??

hollows wife

Reaction score
im led to believe that the audi a3 has a flashing led in the dash forthe alarm system . well states in the manual it has , but ive never seen it work . my brother also has an a3 and his doenst work either .

dont tell me it was an optional extra .

or have i by mistake turn it off in the convenience module when enabling auto windows .

just be nice to know when the car is locked at night with out having to go get the keys and rearm the alarm just in case .

had a bora before and changed it to a ultra bight led ,good deterent plus let me know the alarm state easily

so does anyone else have the led problem or not

mines flashes, its on the dash board in the middle near windscreen, there are two slightly raised parts look a bit like sensors, when you look it i think a red light should stay on for 30 seconds!

Its in the center of the dash. The left of the raised bit looking from the front holds the led. Mine doesn't stay on for 30 seconds it just blinks every now and then

yea mine blinks but when i lock the car the LED (i think) stays on for a short while and the starts flashing.

yeah i know where the led should be just dont work anyone taken out the grill before to gain access ?

might go investigate it now

if your on about where the center speaker is then yes.. i have :) just prys out mate only a couple of plastic molded clips. clip off clip on

i know this is an old thread.........i wanted to upgrade the led for a different colour if its possible,maybe you guys would know?

Ive added a bright blue led into mine m8, much better
Than the crappy one audi provides, il post up a wee pic
Later if u want.

Cal
Heres a couple
d5f70d59.jpg

f52a32b1.jpg

Last edited:
nice one for that info.......is it easy to do?

Easy mod m8, the new leds wires are connected into the existing
Led fitting

Cal

Easy mod m8, the new leds wires are connected into the existing
Led fitting

Cal
any soldering? is the panel easy to take off,i just want a brighter led ...maybe bright blue...bit different eh,if not then reds ok but its got be brighter than the original rubbish......where and what led should iget? from audi or maplins?

sorry for all the questions mate.

i upgraded some of the LEDs in the Ambient lighting pack for slightly brighter red ones i bought from ebay.
i had to take the old ones out and then resolder on the new ones but look much better.

Haven't really noticed the alarm LED TBH but i can't imagine swapping the LED for a brighter one to be that hard.
How do you get that grill off though?

Hi cal any pictures of this working at night in car? Thanks

i upgraded some of the LEDs in the Ambient lighting pack for slightly brighter red ones i bought from ebay.
i had to take the old ones out and then resolder on the new ones but look much better.

Haven't really noticed the alarm LED TBH but i can't imagine swapping the LED for a brighter one to be that hard.
How do you get that grill off though?
grill just pulls off,i have replaced the new led this one here:5mm Super Bright LEDs : 5mm Standard LEDs : Maplin part number is N26FN it seems brighter,but cant remember how it used to be now.
maplin checked both led's the new one and the one i took out the car,the new one was alot brighter when tested in the shop,but i think once fitted to the car it looks ok but the tinted plastic cover that fits over the led is quite dark and dont help much....dont know if any brighter ones are available maplin said they were the brightest. someone will soon check out the specs of the led im sure and point out if its good enough.

If you scroll down once you click the link you can check the specs....im not understanding what the viewing angle means on the led's....the one i got is 10...and the blue has a viewing angle of 20.....any ideas?

Last edited:
UPdate! i have found some very bright blue led's and have fitted it to the car and happy with the result...much better than the dim red .......i brought a handfull of the led's ,,,,,,,give me a shout if you guys need any..

no pics mate,ive removed the audi led diode and re-soldered in the new blue one in its place ,so still got the factory finish but now insted of red ive got a nice blue one in its place!

Reactions: Kelza
I also would like to see pics of how it looks with the blue light now, not sure if I would want blue as I have nothing blue on my car

when i get a chance il take some pics,i can actually see the light flashing from my bedroom window now,where as with the red i hd to look at the dash carefully to see if it were flashing.
Ive got nothing blue on the car either,but it looks nicer,more noticeable and an oe fit

UPdate! i have found some very bright blue led's and have fitted it to the car and happy with the result...much better than the dim red .......i brought a handfull of the led's ,,,,,,,give me a shout if you guys need any..

vw754,

Are these standard looking led's or the newer smd led's you have installed?

my led is not working, or the siren when alarm is going off (the indicators flash), are these two things related??? is it something on VAGCOM that can turn them on or off??

my led is not working, or the siren when alarm is going off (the indicators flash), are these two things related??? is it something on VAGCOM that can turn them on or off??
they are not related,the led is probably working,but they just rubbish,you really have to look out for it,the alarm is separate part,it probably be same as golf mk5,and other vag group,think its located behind passenger side rear quarter panel,hidden deep.
You can do an 'output test' via vag to see if siren is working if not,replace it.

no pics mate,ive removed the audi led diode and re-soldered in the new blue one in its place ,so still got the factory finish but now insted of red ive got a nice blue one in its place!

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I took the block with the alarm LED out of the car, took the cap off, but can't seem to see how you dismantle it so you can solder in a new LED?

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I took the block with the alarm LED out of the car, took the cap off, but can't seem to see how you dismantle it so you can solder in a new LED?
de-solder old,fit with new...........i can send some bright blue led's out £6 inc delivery for 2 xled's

de-solder old,fit with new...........i can send some bright blue led's out £6 inc delivery for 2 xled's

Thanks for the offer, but I've managed to source some red ones. Just wondered how do you remove the pcb from the housing?

Is it a case of just trying to prise it out with a flat blade screwdriver or do you have to remove the metal strip on the back of the housing to remove the pcb?

Thanks

just pops out ,flatblade,cliped in with platic clip

Reactions: ryanstewart9
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread as it sort of corresponds with my problem. When I am driving the car the red diode as you look at it from the drivers side is permanently on, does this indicate a fault? It have only just noticed it, so I presume it has only recently started happening.

I'd also like to add the light does not flash when the car is locked

I'm looking to retrofit this, what oem parts should I be looking for?

Just get a normal led,off ebay,brightest u can get