Festoon & map readings: light NON LED bulb options

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have been looking at replacing the interior light bulbs in the car to follow on from the PIAA DRL and side light conversions I did last month.

Last weekend I fitted a set of PIAA 168 (5w lights - pictured below) to the boot and glove box lights, and whilst they are much whiter than the 'yellowish' bulbs they have replaced, they really seem to lack the power dispersal of the standard bulbs.

DSC_0010.JPG

I now want to upgrade the reading lights & interior festoon lights and maybe the footwell lights, but don't want to go the route of soldering resistors.

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

Are their any non LED bulbs that anyone knows of (can't find any in the PIAA range) that will do the same as LED's, without the hassle of resistor soldering?

Some of the cheap cack on flea-bay says the LED bulbs don't need resistors as they are wired in, but I'm reluctant to believe it and don't want to risk frying any electrics.

Any tips gratefully received.

To be honest I've given up on the whole LED thing. My numberplate LEDs looked great but eventually 1 of them started to flash and then died. One of my interior festoons doesn't come on sometimes and the footwell bulbs flash when I turn the ignition on sometimes.

There's no doubting that they look fantastic over the standard bulbs (even my dad noticed and he doesn't notice ANYTHING!) but they're a pain in das arsch.

I hope someone can find something!

To be honest I've given up on the whole LED thing. My numberplate LEDs looked great but eventually 1 of them started to flash and then died. One of my interior festoons doesn't come on sometimes and the footwell bulbs flash when I turn the ignition on sometimes.

There's no doubting that they look fantastic over the standard bulbs (even my dad noticed and he doesn't notice ANYTHING!) but they're a pain in das arsch.

I hope someone can find something!

Cheers Staz, always been a bit dubious of the LED scenario with self wired resistors. Supposedly PIAA do some BMW led light upgrades which also work in the A4, but there is no confirmation they work on the A3. Supposedly they are hideously expensive. If I hear any more will post back.

Apparently those H222s are supposed to give the same output as 10W bulbs!

With regards to the failing LED bulbs which start to flash and then die, I've had this before with cheap bulbs off certain websites and eBay. Since then I've always bought my LED bulbs from www.ultraleds.co.uk and, while they're expensive, I've NEVER had a dodgy bulb from them in 2 years and they also offer a warranty on them. I'm using bulbs from them in my number plate now and haven't had any probs so far *touch wood* I may attempt some interior lights with them in the future. As the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and in this case it's no exception.

You should try the Bimmian Interior Xenon bulb kit. Basically they give the LED look without the hastle of resistors. They do a bulb kit containing all you need for the S3. I've had mine for over a year now with no problems and they look great. Here's the link:

http://www.bimmian.com/8P

just fit LED's there much much better looking, and the resistors are not hard to fit at all, i got myself some 330ohm resistors from maplin, i only twisted the wire around the conectors and the works perfects, make sure it is tight though! i didnt want to solder it incase i wanted to take them out to fit originals. i have interior LED's number plate light LED's and fitted LED's for boot light and glove box light!

Try these guys...
I got mine off them, really good bulbs IMO and they can be sent back (if you can be othererd when they blow). They did an interior kit when I got mine but I did have to add a few so you may need to check what bulbs you need.
http://www.bimmian.info/8P/IXB/

Hope this helps.

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice anyone had already posted! Doh.....

Last edited:
Any idea which bulbs go into the footwell lighting?

Once I found the right bulbs I didn't have a problem except for the puddle lights fitting led's. Once I realised how easy it was to remove the door cards the puddle lights were easy. The leds were bought from Ebay and came from the US. Only took 3-4 days to get here, have not failed and unlike all the other crap on Ebay actually fit the holders. The footwell lights have wedge type bulbs. Also, I only had to fit one resistor. If you were a bit closer i would do them for you.

When will these sites learn to have a picture of each bulb so you know exactly which they're talking about?!

When will these sites learn to have a picture of each bulb so you know exactly which they're talking about?!

+1 every bulb option you try and order looks the same and doesn't categorize the specific differences. how hard can it be!!

Exactly. I remember looking at this site before when looking myself and being annoyed. It wouldn't take a lot to have a little pop up pic of each bulb on the page!

Daviscup, any chance of some pictures of the filament types fitted? Or does anyone else have them fitted??

These are the ones I used

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2pcs-501-W5W-...66:2|39:1|72:1683|293:1|294:50#ht_2026wt_1037 (2 for footwell, 2 puddle lights)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2pcs-BA9S-T4W...66:2|39:1|72:1683|293:1|294:50#ht_1172wt_1037 ( 4 map reading)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1pc-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories (2 for main dome light-check the length first. Same for vanity, glove box etc)

Thanks!

This is good because I already have some 501's purchased from UltraLED's for my old car - now to find them. Do we go for the same resistors as rear number plate (can't remember off hand, but I have quite a few, but will pick some more up from Maplin and give this a go I think)

Cheers
Scott

edit: do you know which bulb for boot, is that the last one too? 501's easy to find as they're common fitment, found these BA9 233 bulbs for map reading and 4 come to just over £15, and found these for main interior bulbs but unsure if they'll fit 100% - will double check tomorrow.

Last edited:

They're the ones I am using right now. The ones that flash and fail. Sold by a seller who doesn't reply to emails complaining of the fact.

I am after filament bulbs.

Guys here's the list Bimmian sent me when I ordered mine:

"The interior light configuration I have is for a 2007 S3 and is as follows: 2 in front console, 2 for vanity mirror, 4 in front door, 2 in front footwell, 2 for rear reading lights, 2 for license plate illumination"

Here are the part numbers for each:

peanut bulbs (IXBAAAPFY)and bayonet bulbs (IXBAAABFY).

I ordered a few extra at the time, 5 of each, to have for spares to save the hastle and cost of ordering more if I had any failures. Staz if you still need a photo of them I'll happily take some for you tomorrow.

Last edited:
bimmians shipping is just ridiculous... $100 for sending leds to South Africa? no thank you. i will just keep on macgyvering the LEDS i found in chinatown

They're the ones I am using right now. The ones that flash and fail. Sold by a seller who doesn't reply to emails complaining of the fact.

I am after filament bulbs.

Well thats weird as I never had a problem with the leds sent. I had tried a couple before and these were far superior. No flashing light issue and apart from one resistor in the L/H wheel well, plug and play.
I bought the number plate bulbs from a different seller as again they were plug and play with resistors already wired in. If anyone is interested I will try and find the seller. Have never had a problem with these either.
Scott the boot light is the same as the footwell and puddle lights. I didn't bother with this one as it was the only one I had problems with. I tried about 10 different bulbs and all of them flashed for about 4 seconds and then went out. It was not a problem with the bulb as they worked in different locations....must be something to do with the boot circuit being ultra sensitive

Hi Mac - thanks. So the boot is a 501 and the glove box too? What about the vanity mirror lights? I fitted some spare 501's earlier to the footwell and they look great, so want to get about ordering the rest of the bulbs soon.

Hi Mac - thanks. So the boot is a 501 and the glove box too? What about the vanity mirror lights? I fitted some spare 501's earlier to the footwell and they look great, so want to get about ordering the rest of the bulbs soon.

Best to just pop them out and check, but I am sure the vanity mirrors are something like 37mm festoon bulbs (Same shape as the main dome lights but shorter) Did you need any resistors with the footwell lights? Just as a bit of incentive for you, here is a pic of my led's fitted :)
IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

Best to just pop them out and check, but I am sure the vanity mirrors are something like 37mm festoon bulbs (Same shape as the main dome lights but shorter) Did you need any resistors with the footwell lights? Just as a bit of incentive for you, here is a pic of my led's fitted :)

very nice mate. vanity may be same as number plate, will check as you say. boot and glove box definitely 501's same as footwell though? i did use 150 ohm resistors for footwell lights but didn't try without - don't tell me they're ok without sometimes...lol

This looks like a mod I want to do, all that have posted and completed this mod, are your bulbs all working fine without any blinkers\blow-outs?

Any update on the best place to purchase? Cheers. KKP