multitronic gear box

martin

Reaction score
hi everyone audi a3 2.0 tdi s line 06 reg .my car is coming to the end of its warranty in august has 17000 miles on clock no problems as yet.have heard so many strorries about these auto boxes going wrong .can buy an extended warranty for £700 for another year . can any one tell me if they have had probs with these boxes.:beee:

hi everyone audi a3 2.0 tdi s line 06 reg .my car is coming to the end of its warranty in august has 17000 miles on clock no problems as yet.have heard so many strorries about these auto boxes going wrong .can buy an extended warranty for £700 for another year . can any one tell me if they have had probs with these boxes.:beee:

Two points. Firstly the A3 does not have the multitronic type auto box. This is only used on engines that are mounted front to back. The A3 has either a convential automatic or a DSG/S-tronic gearbox.

Secondly. Your quote for £700. Is this from Audi? Is it is you can almost certainly get a better price from Warranty Direct. (www.warrantydirect.co.uk). When I got a quote from them for very similar cover to that offered by Audi is was nearly half what Audi were asking.

$64000 question. !!
Insurance is a strange thing, often taken out by those who cant afford the unexpected repair. You could insure your gearbox....and your washing machine..and freezer and contents, you could insure against vets bills for your pet and health insurance for yourself. you could take out extended warranties on your TV and electrical goods!! and so on but the chances are you will never need any of this, thats why insurance companies are stinking rich :yes: If you were to add up the premiums for all this you would be amazed at the cost and if you then went a couple of years without a claim ( most likely) the money saved on insurance would be in the thousands...plenty enough to fix most things cash.

I have done 37k on my DSG in the last 3 years with one small fault that Audi fixed for £200. I could have spent £2100 on insurance like you but then my philosophy is don't insure anything that doesn't legally require it and you will be quids in over the medium term...

@ paddy, very true mate. however they say sh*t happens, people would rather be safe than sorry! but then i guess that same fear leaves us with empty wallets!