Launch control !

paddy

Reaction score
I have had my A3 for a couple of years and only today i find it has "launch control" what a hoot !! I cant stop smiling. Roll on next traffic light burn up!!

Presumably as it is controlled by a DSG program it has safe guards built in ??

What safe guards? LC basically let's you rev the engine above 4000(?) RPM than suddenly releases the clutch. It is quite a shock on the flywheel and all internals involved.
Sure, it is fun though!

The manual says "the DSG is equipped with a special LC program to give you optimal acceleration". I assumed that this program stops you exploding the Gearbox.
If it was going to burst the flywheel would they tell you in detail how to use it in the manual ?? Not trying to be argumentative....just wondering ?

Rev limiters are there to save the engine also, but I'm sure you wouldnt sit there bouncing off the limiter, time and time again, just because it doesn't say it's bad for the engine in the manual doesn't mean it doesn't shorten the life of the end.

Smg on m3's and csls also eat gearboxes and pumps aswell as clutches.

Rev limiters are there to save the engine also, but I'm sure you wouldnt sit there bouncing off the limiter, time and time again, just because it doesn't say it's bad for the engine in the manual doesn't mean it doesn't shorten the life of the end.

Smg on m3's and csls also eat gearboxes and pumps aswell as clutches.

Its ok...I heard you the first time :yes:

There is a difference though. a rev limiter is there to stop you doing something outside the recommended...however the launch control is there as a recommended option within the parameters of the spec....ie it is listed just the same as the windscreen wipers or the horn or the ash tray ...
Put it this way, the use of the LC is detailed in the manual. It tells you how to set it up and what to do to use it. There is nothing in the manual to say bounce it of the rev limiter in every gear .

Last edited:
are they on all a3s? as in the LC?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit jealous. Your a3 must be new? The lc revs the car to a certain rpm then releases the clutch? Cant you do that maunally, and if and when you do, wouldnt that damage the car also?

Please don't even think about doing that manually !!!!!

The LC is standard fit on the 3.2 with DSG. Eat your heart out S3 boys...:p

tells you how to do it in the bmw manual also, doesnt mean it doesnt do any damage, as its quite common knowledge in the m3 circle that LC, as fun as it may be, is detrimental to the gearbox and flywheel/clutch assembly.

maybe the audi version is a very very mild form of LC, and nothing like the BMW, i've never seen the audi one.

LC is available on DSG (or automatic gear boxes). On manual you can control the launch with the clutch pedal, but on DSG you cannot control the clutch. You step on the gas, the clutch is engaged ant the car will move. The only way you can rev the engine in order to have a better acceleration without moving the car is trough LC.
This LC is not activated on all DSGs though. For example I think TDIs don't have it. Mine doesn't. It can be activated but I do not know how. Tuners can do it I think.
About damaging the gerabox, flywheel and the rest of internals involved, I think it is obvious that when the clutch engages it does it quickly. This thing combined with the hi rev produce quite a shock. in order to reduce this shock, the clutch would have to be engaged slowly but this would ruin the disks and you wont get the acceleration you would expect. Is that simple. There is no free lunch, there is no safe LC, there is no powerful engine that is also economic.

mine had LC and its an early DSG Tdi, I think anything with a DSG box has it.

Not all DSG have the option ACTIVATED. Mine doesn't. I've noticed that most of the cases where the option is not activated are for TDIs. I don't know the criteria for this.

It works! If it isn't activated the car will tend to start moving. You can feel it's trying to move.

It works! If it isn't activated the car will tend to start moving. You can feel it's trying to move.

How would i know if my DSG 2.0L TDI 140 has it? Whats the sequence to enable it? Is it something to do with turning the ESP off?

If it's not enabled can it be enabled with VAG COM?

Last edited by a moderator:
The manual says.....
ESP off
Sport selected
2800rpm on the rev counter and held on the brake....

Be very careful and if in doubt, check your spec with Audi because you will kill the clutch and the box very quickly if you are holding it on the brake without LC

My manual says only applies to 3.2 V6 !!!!

Just like with any car, if your flooring it from a stand still start, you wil put more strain on components and they will eventually break - LC has the same effect.

Its ok for a once in a while thing but everyday - expect a new flywheel/driveshaft/gearbox soon.

Its also better to avoid first gear hard starts altogether - i usually get mine rolling in first gear and then boot it in second if i feel the need - no wheelspin, less strain on the components, tyres last longer - less probs with my motor!

The manual says.....
ESP off
Sport selected
Hold the brake
2800rpm on the rev counter and release the brake

If you feel the car that wants to move as soon as you step on the gas, give it up, you don't have the LC activated and you are forcing the box. This will damage the disks quickly.

How do you enable LC though? Can it be done through VAG COM?

This I don't know. I know that tuners can do it.
It would be interesting to know if it can be enabled with a vag-com.