Audi finance, part exchange and not happy customer

k84

Reaction score
Not impressed, although some of my friends think im just being me but id be happy to hear what you have to say...

Ive created a few threads about my experience of buying an A3 and the experience hasnt been the best one.

Until today I was unsure whether to take my car 1st few days in august or leave it till september for a 59 plate. I decided to take it in september.

As the topic suggests i took out audi finance, 3 year pcp with my car. There was a dealer discount of £1000 advertised on their website and 'instore'. I was using my car as a part exchange and using the equity towards the deposit.

So, I sat down with the salesman and was told the PX price would come from Glasses Guide however the px price couldnt be determind until i collect the car as the price may go up or down.

I was told my part exchange value would be £7500. I thereafter payed a deposit and signed a 'Vehicle Sales Order' form agreeing to purchase the new car.

Moving forward until this week...

I contact the salesman via email to clarify a few points re the part exchange.

On looking at the 'Vehicle Sales Order' form and noticed that the part exchange value of my car (under "Part exchange offered" was £1000 less than what i had been quoted and £1000 less than what the Glasses guide recommend. I am aware that glasses is a recommendation.

The salesman emailed back to say that the "part exchange we are giving you £7500 as a part exchange is made up by £6500 for your car and £1000 discount from the new car"

I emailed back to say that the £1000 discount shouldnt be taken into account of the part exchange as i am entitled to this regardless of me trading in or not.

I just recieved an email there from the salesman saying that "
The £1000 does make up part of the px figure...your car is worth £7500 against the window price of the vehicle. £6500 is what we are getting for your car from a trader in August".

I know this is quite a long post but the questions I have before i get back to him are;

1. Surely they cant use the £1000 discount towards the part exchange price of my car as this is independant?

2. I know i cant cancel the agreement as ill lose the deposit but is it as well just saying to them that ill trade my car in privately and just take a bank loan to pay the finance?

3. I was led to believe that i was being offered £7500 (which the salesman has put in writing in the email as quoted above) - are they trying to get extra money from me? I know on the vehicle sales order form it says px figure is £6500 and i should have read it before signing but at the end of the say this isnt binding as the trade-in will go up and down.

4. What is my best course of action and what should i get back to them saying?

5. Is there anybody outside the dealer, head office maybe, that would be interested? or really am i figiting a losing battle. all im looking for is my px to be what glasses are offering and not using the £1000 discount towards it

As a new customer to Audi i have to say - im not impressed

Thanks again, id be interested to hear what people have to say - positive or negative.

thanks for reading

K

Were there any T&C's instore or online to say the £1000 not valid with a p/ex etc?

It sounds like the salesman ****** up and didn't realise you were expecting the £1000 discount.

If you made it clear during the negotiating that you expected the £1000 discount, along with the current Glasses figure, then you've every right to have a moan. What the trader is giving them is not your problem, as the price you say they offered was based on Glasses, not this.

Have you spoken with the salesman to say you feel misled? If you get no joy, escalate this to his manager and ultimately to the dealer principal, and see if you can find any joy from them.

With most problems like this, it'll be much easier to try to find a resolution with the dealer. They're more likely to help if you're friendly and don't discuss breach of contract, trading standards, etc. This will usually just rile them.

When I bought our car in 2007 I was promised a trade in value on my Leon Cupra R of £11.5k.

Towards the end of the sales process the sales-person left Audi, and when I went in to sign the finance agreement they said they had no record of this offer, and could now only offer £10.5k.

As I only had one week to go to exchange I hadn't got the luxury of private sale. Also as he couldn't discount the S3 (in the days when they were brand new), he had agreed to fit my aftermarket Nav for free. They also conveniently decided this wouldn't fly either so I lost out TWICE.

When you are spending £32k on a new car this is the last thing you want to face.

I ended up slating them in the customer service scores to ensure no bonuses were earned. I find many UK Audi dealers to be arrogant, rude, underhand, and misleading. Most couldn't spell the word premium, let alone act it.

I feel for you as I've been there personally and due to my personal schedule / apathy I didn't follow it up. May be worth a call to Audi UK, but I am sure they won't budge because they just don't care that much.

I find many UK Audi dealers to be arrogant, rude, underhand, and misleading. Most couldn't spell the word premium, let alone act it.

Yeah its the salesmen that let them down tbh, absolutely terrible, stuck up arrogant lazy *****, as many a time myself have proved when buying cars & now wont touch them with a barge pole, parts are great & service with my local dealer is good as I have a superb relationship with them given I'm there every week lol, but for Joe Bloggs its a ball breaker dealing with most dealers, really is & again I say sales are fecking useless.

warren your right audi uk is like they have done it because its law ...hahahaha they alway say take it up with your dealer im like WTF this is why im phoning you i wanted to stick molten lava in my eyes ...aaaaarrrgh in the end i decided having a breakdown or an episode wasnt worth the money ...now i just hope they rot in hell and company sinks through the floor ....lol

Quite a lot of car dealers are offering this £1000 discount aren't they?! Guy at work just bought a merc and got £1k discount plus the whole part ex value of his car.
Sounds strange that they reduce your part ex value by the discount.
What would happen if your car's part ex value was only £1000??? Does that mean you'd get the discount but nothing for your car???

If I was you I'd phone another Audi dealer who is offering the same sort of discount (if you can find one), and ask sales a general question... "if I buy a new car from you do I get the £1k discount plus the whole part ex value of the car I trade in".

you have to bear in mind that most dealerships use the profit margin in the car to give you what you want for your p/x. The actual value that you need to be concerned with is the balance to finance or pay. This is the figure that you should be negotiating not your p/x value...for all I care they could give me 4K if I was in your position as long as I was getting 3.5K off the new car price...

dealers do it all the time, as majority of folk are more interested in getting the right value for their car in their own heads...

Dealers are cagey about giving you the true figures when making the sale so the customer needs to be savvy about what they are actually paying. Most often they shift the figures around to help their situation...i.e how much VAT they have to pay on the car...

This seems like boolacks. What if you weren't putting up a p/x? It seems pretty clear that the discount on car is exactly that - a discount on the new car, not as something to augment a p/x price.

I have a glass's guide here if you want this months actual book price of your part ex.

Quite a lot of car dealers are offering this £1000 discount aren't they?! Guy at work just bought a merc and got £1k discount plus the whole part ex value of his car.
Sounds strange that they reduce your part ex value by the discount.
What would happen if your car's part ex value was only £1000??? Does that mean you'd get the discount but nothing for your car???

If I was you I'd phone another Audi dealer who is offering the same sort of discount (if you can find one), and ask sales a general question... "if I buy a new car from you do I get the £1k discount plus the whole part ex value of the car I trade in".

Yeap ****** good point & idea tbh.

I have never heard of a discount given, then part ex price & then they lump it together & take the discount of your part ex to give you a price, if you get me, sounds like ****** to me, but if the paperwork which is dated from the original meeting had this on it, then tbh you really are stuck without paddle................but teaches you to read everything you agree/sign to, I even read my hospital small print of nhs as never know what your signing for.

Or did he amend the docs to show this, if so thats illegal & fraud.

The same thing is happening with the scrappage scheme. As soon as you mentiom dealer discounts reduce. The best thing to do is negotiate a deal and throw in the curve ball - scrappage scheme. They then have no choice but to offer the discount on top of the offer. I know not the same thing but mayne a tactic to use.

Yeap totally, then they are stuck in a corner they cant really get out of, lol.

If you don't get anywhere with the dealer, it's definitely worth contacting Audi directly about it. I'm sure they will be able to contact the dealer and sort something out.

I was pretty much cheated out of £1000 on my car and I mentioned it to the salesmen but he was like "oh ok, I didn't know" and didn't do anything about it. I contacted Audi UK and in the end I got a cheque back for the amount.

but teaches you to read everything you agree/sign to

Unfortunately i have to agree 100% lol. I know its no excuse but I was in the dealer longer than expected and my phone was ringing constantly so was rushing things.

Or did he amend the docs to show this, if so thats illegal & fraud.

Na, it wasnt amended after i signed.

Dandle, I managed to get a look at a copy of glasses through a friend of a friend - thanks though.

Thanks alot folks for the replies - I know the original post was very long winded and appreciate the time taken.

They weren't adding on the dealers discount until i pointed out that they missed it. I think they are being very underhand and misleading with the information provided.

I dont seem to be getting anywhere with the salesman so ill try and get contact details for the manager of the dealer. Because of my work im having mega problems actually getting away while they are open so im having to email / telephone which isnt ideal. I understand that they have to make money however surely they should go about it in a better manner.

Do you think Audi Uk would be interested or would I be wasting my time? I fear that they will turn around and say that ive signed so tuff. For a first time customer it doesnt make a very good impression.

K:)

I emailed the salesman last night to ask him to forward my email onto the dealer manager and also to provide me with the managers details so i can take it up further with him.

I got a reply this morning from the salesman saying "the way the motor trade works is we give you a part exchange figure based on the list price of the new vehicle being £15655 minus your part exchange of £7500."

The salesman hasnt bothered forwarding the details of the manager etc so ill try and find an email address for him. Every time i phone to speak so the manager he is 'busy'.

From what the salesman has said here - the £1000 allowance basically means nothing then if you are trading in a car??

I know its maybe not the biggest amount of money in the world but at the end of the day, but better in my pocket than in theirs. The main thing is i don't like being taken for a fool - which from the looks of it, is what is happening here?

I know some of you have said this has happened to you before but in the whole how have people found the sales team at Audi?

K:)

The same thing is happening with the scrappage scheme. As soon as you mentiom dealer discounts reduce. The best thing to do is negotiate a deal and throw in the curve ball - scrappage scheme. They then have no choice but to offer the discount on top of the offer. I know not the same thing but mayne a tactic to use.

Yep, this is exactly what i did.

Got the dealers to give me a 2K discount on top of the complimentary sport upgrade offered in early May for the A3 1.9 TDIe Sportback.

Then went back to the dealer at the end of May and mentioned scrappage and got 2K scrappage discount + complimentary sport upgrade + £1750 discount also using this http://www.drivethedeal.com/scrappage/scrappage.asp to price match resulting in a final price of £13,860 :)

Ah, ok! lol. I really cant see him being interested. maybe if i was spending hundreds of thousands of £££ quite frequently.lol

Don't believe it. It's well worth taking it as high as you can. Send him an email.

I was getting nowhere with a problem with a VW dealer so I took it to the head man at the time. It was sorted within no time. As soon as the dealer knew I was serious, they resolved my complaint.

Yeap many have done same thing & got it sorted aswell, I would email him asap.

even thought it can seem very frustrating and think your just going around and around in circles! don't give up mate! do everything you can.

good luck

+ email j.hicks asap!

No wonder they're referred to as "stealers".

So are there any dealers which are NOT franchised but actually owned by Audi?

Don't believe it. It's well worth taking it as high as you can. Send him an email.

I was getting nowhere with a problem with a VW dealer so I took it to the head man at the time. It was sorted within no time. As soon as the dealer knew I was serious, they resolved my complaint.

I had a number of problems with a VX220 once. I spoke to the "assistant to the MD" - basically high level customer services - who resolved things to my satisfaction - the Astra courtesy car turned into a VX220, and they fixed all the issues on my car.

Same problem with BT - they made a mess when I moved house, and the call centre were more than useless - I emailed the CEO, got an email back 30 mins later from executive complaints, and the problem was fixed with fantastic communication.

It's sad that complaints have to be escalated to this level, but with a number of companies, it does really work.