Which wheels???

Which wheels do I go with?

• Keep your existing...

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Go with brilliant silver RS4's

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Go with gun metal grey RS4's

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Go with something else (elaborate in post)

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Brilliant silver (235/35/19)
web.jpg

Gunmetal (235/35/19)
web.jpg

Will be shod with Senssanta Vredesteins.

Warren what type are they? I'm @ work and can't see the pics. :(

Thanks.

Edit: lol just scrolled up and saw you made a poll - disregard. :bye:

Last edited:
Warren, I think the RS4s have had their day. Not that they are a bad rim or do not suit the A/S3, just that it has been done plenty times before. But if that's what you are after then fairysnuff. I like the S5s meself. :beerchug:

Edit: Thanks for pics mate. If I had to choose from them it would be the bottom ones.

Last edited:
Warren what type are they? I'm @ work and can't see the pics. :(

Thanks.

Edit: lol just scrolled up and saw you made a poll - disregard. :bye:

IMG_0313.JPG

S3%20wheel.jpg

Apologies, photos linked to .Mac often don't show up???? These are located in Google Picasa

Last edited:
It's a bit difficult to compare cos in the first pic you can see your S3 alloys behind the new ones.
Also it would be easier if the two pics were taken from the same distance.

BUUUT... I reckon the gun metal one's look better. Quite like them in fact.

Brilliant Silver for me- compliments the Dolphin better mate

It's a bit difficult to compare cos in the first pic you can see your S3 alloys behind the new ones.
Also it would be easier if the two pics were taken from the same distance.

BUUUT... I reckon the gun metal one's look better. Quite like them in fact.

Car parked in a space behind me when I took the other shot!

One wheel had a paper backing on it, the other didn't!

I like the gun metal one, but just found out he can only get them in 100PCD:wtf: Now got to try and find that one somewhere else.

Really looking to retain the OE Audi look, but at risk of making it look more like an S Line.

Either get spacers for your OEM wheels warren, or get something else OEM, or something lightweight. Both of those rims are :puke: I'm afraid...

www.wheel-base.co.uk in manchester do them and look good quality, i was gona get them, they aslo deliver

Here they are on mine

P10203331024x768.jpg

Copy2ofP10203411024x768.jpg

Many thanks for that - debate over.

Just purchased the gun metal ones from Dave at Wheelbase and they arrive on Friday afternoon!

Many thanks for that - debate over.

Just purchased the gun metal ones from Dave at Wheelbase and they arrive on Friday afternoon!

Brilliant mate - a bit of decisiveness makes a refreshing change. :salute:

Next: how best to spend more of your money - springs? :nyah:

Brilliant mate - a bit of decisiveness makes a refreshing change. :salute:

Next: how best to spend more of your money - springs? :nyah:
More of my money!!! More of the banks!

Dave's just called me back to say there was a warning that came up on his system to say the S3 has a 'high offset value'. I checked the tech data sheet and it says ET56 which seems high.

With the 8.5J wheels he is sure an ET35 will be OK with 19's (as I'm running OE spec suspension set up for now), but from other people's experience is there anything I should be aware of?

Appreciate they are not everyone's cup of tea, but I have HATED (and I can't make that point strongly enough) the S3 standard wheels on the pre-facelift cars. I don't like the new ones that much either, bu have always loved the RS4 wheels (admittedly on the RS4), and particularly the dish of these style of alloy. I'm keeping the S3 hoops for when it's sold so these will eventually be sold off anyway so it's not a big issue.

It is SO hard buying alloy wheels when you can't see them ON your car! I have been given an option to change them if I don't like them as long as I don't do anything beyond fit them (and on cardboard too).

Last edited:
silver for me

Was worried if I went silver it would look TOO S-Line.

The photos don't really do the wheel justice to be honest. They look much better in the flesh than in pictures as the finish doesn't lend itself to being photographed.

...S3 hoops ...:)

It is SO hard buying alloy wheels when you can't see them ON your car! I have been given an option to change them if I don't like them as long as I don't do anything beyond fit them (and on cardboard too).

I like the BBS site with its dinky configurator that you up load a pic of your own car; ok it's not real life but it gives you a half decent impression.

I had wanted BBS wheels until I saw the price of wheel and tyre combo's (circa £2k). I don't dispute you get what you pay for, but I may not have the S3 longer than another 8 months so didn't want to blow a $hitload of cash. The front tyres on the S3 alloys have about 1mm of legal tread on them so they will do to roll it back to the dealers, but I was in a position where even to change the 2 Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on the front for 18's was knocking on the door of £300. TBH I just fancied a different look for a few months. Jobs a good un.

As I've done the RNS-E retrofit, the HPFP, the wheels/tyres, the revised OE DV , and a full PIAA bulb upgrade in the last 3 months, and have eyes on the Forge twintake, unfortunately springs will be off the menu unless the OE dampers go.

Last edited:
I'd say the gunmetal Rs4 alloys. Looks at the quailty Warren if your after some nice RS4 alloys Blazin got his from Wheel base! They really dished.

EDIT: Ahh just read up you made the right choice :) lol

yeah warren there the same as mine they look nice mate , watch how many peep clock your wheels when there on there really nice and look alot more than what you pay for em , if you kirb one feck it by another ,

you cant with originals they cost a bomb , and when you see originals there on every audi whats the point , if i was gona go original wheels it would be bbs ck or some other wheels like oz or bentleys defo not original's there nothing special ... these are rs4s but you see when you get them they come out then curve in not like original rs4s that just dish in , there nice you wont be dissapointed ...

ignore what people say about reps its ******** ive smashed over speedbumps at 50 and hit the nastyest of potholes the wheels are solid but some people hold on to the reps crumble after a week shyte.... lol

ignore what people say about reps its ******** ive smashed over speedbumps at 50 and hit the nastyest of potholes the wheels are solid but some people hold on to the reps crumble after a week shyte.... lol

I've lost control in the snow and tanked a replica wheel on a high curb and it cracked, but it was at around 50mph. Even original equipment wheels would struggle at this. I went to see these today and the finish is pretty good. I'm certainly not concerned about them peeling apart in a few days as they'll only really see motorway miles (12k in a year max).

Cheers for the photo links you sent, look the b0ll0cks so they'll do for me.

With the 8.5J wheels he is sure an ET35 will be OK with 19's (as I'm running OE spec suspension set up for now), but from other people's experience is there anything I should be aware of?

It'll handle like ****, rub like a *******, and tramline like a....... tram.

You want ET45 MINIMUM, ideally ET50+.

Anybody who tells you otherwise is a cowboy.

warren you wont need spacers put it that way , and they wont rub or ride like a bi$£h i got exactly the same wheels there fine mine has even been lowered on H&r 35 mm springs and they dont rub there spot on mate , but got 225/35/19 tires , they provide 235 they may rub they may not to be safe you may wanna change your tires to 225 the wall slope back so there,s no chance of rubbing i paid an extra 100 quid to get 225/35/19 falcon fk452

Last edited:
It'll handle like ****, rub like a *******, and tramline like a....... tram.

You want ET45 MINIMUM, ideally ET50+.

Anybody who tells you otherwise is a cowboy.

Funny you should say that because EVERY company I have spoken to has said that I'll need ET35 to offset the 19's which to me seemed a million miles away from the OEM ET of 56.

Their response was the brakes won't clear without ET35, but I personally didn't believe that. Dave at Wheelbase has said if there are issues they'll have them back, but I was concerned that the new ET will be wildly out.

Funny you should say that because EVERY company I have spoken to has said that I'll need ET35 to offset the 19's which to me seemed a million miles away from the OEM ET of 56.

Their response was the brakes won't clear without ET35, but I personally didn't believe that. Dave at Wheelbase has said if there are issues they'll have them back, but I was concerned that the new ET will be wildly out.

When I bought my car it had 8.5Jx19" BBS LM replicas on it, with ET45. Lowered ever so slightly with Eibach springs, these caught a little bit with people in the back. If the wheels stuck out 10mm further it would have been undriveable. I had no clearance issues whatsoever.

The ET35 wheels are designed for other VAG models that require a lower offset. They're not right for the A3.

It's lazy selling - they know ET35 will clear the brakes / struts, so they offer them. They also probably have a pile of them in stock!

arnt they 45 offset i cant even remember my wheels offset lol....im sure there 45 though

but warren they will be fine ive just been out to and looked , the brakes wont have any probs going behind them and there just right when on ....

i wreckon you will be fine unless the s3 is alot different than the sportback as in wheel hubs and stuff which i doubt they will be fine ....

arnt they 45 offset i cant even remember my wheels offset lol....im sure there 45 though

but warren they will be fine ive just been out to and looked , the brakes wont have any probs going behind them and there just right when on ....

i wreckon you will be fine unless the s3 is alot different than the sportback as in wheel hubs and stuff which i doubt they will be fine ....

Brakes clearance would never really be the issue. The danger of going wider while keeping the factory offset is clearance against the struts. Again the salesman is talking rubbish.

If you run factory offset with a WIDER wheel, then you'd always have more clearance. If a factory wheel is say 7.5J, then a 8.5J wheel will be 25mm wider - half of this (12mm approx) sticking out more, half of this the other way.

Suggesting a 21mm lower offset to compensate for this is ********. If the wheels are 1J wider, this will mean they stick out a total of 33mm more than the original wheels! Which is a lot.

well warren i have the exact wheels youve got and there from dave at wheelbase im sure the offsett is 45 or was they 35 i cant believe i cant remember it so annoying ...if they are the same as mine they will be bang on i promice i thought the front was gonna hit the front arch but they didnt or the back there spot on with the 35mm h&rs .....

Warren, i have just put some 18" BBS Super RS's on my S3. Im down 25mm on H&R's.

I know you want 19's in 8.5J (a size i dont have) but its the offst thats important.

Im running 9J et42 on the back and the rim edge just sits past the arch! I think et35 is going to 'poke' too much, you need et45 if you can get them.

The fronts on mine are 8J et42 and they clear the calliper fine!

im sure they are 45 offset and wheelbase maybe have it wrong mine are the same and there 45 .....phone dave and make sure ,ask him do they even do them in 45 cos i got mine from him and there 45 im positive

I'm calling Dave in the morning re: offset.

I'm a bit of an impatient fecker, and I don't want wheels flying back up and down the country while I wait for something to fit.

I'm going to ask if he has ET45 as I'm sure he said these are ET35's.

Why is nothing EVER easy with these things. Wheels and tyres...... to borrow Clarkson's favourite phrase:

HOW HARD CAN IT BE?!?!?!

We're all here to help lad.

It's all greatly appreciated as you can't always rely on the 'experts'(!) to give you the right advice. Tough thing with wheels is once they are fitted and run on you have to keep them!

phone wheelbase warren speak to someone else , when i went to wheelbase dave seemed almost zombie like ....men in black WHERES THE CAT ....

men-in-black-edgar.jpg

id ask to speak to the manager make sure if there 35 offset dont get them but i got mine from there and there 45 so get the right ones they sit very flush with the arch, so you might wana get 225/35/19 tires to ....

because it may be ok now but iff you h&r it to on 35mm it might rub with a car full ive had a car full and it doesnt rub due to the extra room provided by the tires wall sloping back ..... hope this helps

Mate I've got S3 brakes on my A3 and 18" RS4 Reps ET45 (like the silver ones i your pic) and the brakes fit behind the wheel fine...

Not sure i your design differs but when Blazin (Johnny) popped over, his wheels looked like they had enough room for the S3 brakes.

Might be worth trying on a ET45 to make sure the brakes clear but im fairly certain they will..

ET35s definitly going to scrub with 235 tyres...

Nath - I've got pics of 19" ET35 RS4s on a A3 - I'll post up pics when im on my laptop!

EDIT**

Last edited:
Mate I've got S3 brakes on my A3 and 18" RS4 Reps ET45 (like the silver ones i your pic) and the brakes fit behind the wheel fine...

Not sure i your design differs but when Blazin (Johnny) popped over, his wheels looked like they had enough room for the S3 brakes.

Might be worth trying on a ET45 to make sure the brakes clear but im fairly certain they will..

ET35s definitly going to scrub with 235 tyres...

Nath - I've got pics of 19" ET35 RS4s on a A3 - I'll post up pics when im on my laptop!

is it a black a3 with arches flared kaz if so ive seen it , very nice

ET35 is going to stick way out.
He's not getting himself mixed up with 8L S3's ar anything silly like that is he?
I'm sure the 19's I had were 8.5J and ET45 and they scrubbed a little on the roughest of roads, so ET35 simply won't work mate.
Sorry