I can see the gearbox

o0o0o not good! is there a grinding noise coming from the floorplan when driving? and can you hear any knocking noise whilst driving or changing gears?

That will be the cap missing that was removed for testing the box by the looks of it. Whomever checked the box to diagnose it failed to fit the cap properly, ot the play is so bad it pushed to cap off

The car is with Audi now. Yes there is knocking when the car is in gear. I'm not very happy about this. The cap fell off on its own accord yesterday!

my mate had something like this a mount failed on the gearbox and it was swining on its top mount hitting from side to side, cracking the outside of the gearbox! luckly for him he managed to get an outer casing from a breakers and had the gearbox resync'd and was rebuilt

The Audi ex Master Tech said he had not seen anything like this before. I don't intend to pay for much of the repair costs, if anything, as I firmly believe this damage is not due to wear and tear or my driving. It has only done 67K! We will see what Audi think caused the damage.

Audi have said they have no idea what has caused this to happen. They are suggesting a complete new gear box. The Audi Germany 'factory goodwill computer' said no to providing any assistance, Audi UK are next on their list. This car has been serviced every year at Audi, everything has been maintained correctly as per the service manual and this still happens.

Audi quoted, without taking a breath, £115 per hour and will take 5 hours and at least £2500+ for the parts.

The car has been drained of its gear box fluid and has been deemed unfit to drive!

What a great day.

Does any one have a diagram of the gearbox that goes on this car. I can't visualise which bit is brakon and how much of the engine is gearbox... I wish they were as simple as computers!

You might like to look at the guarantee situation....

Audi are obliged to supply a product that is fit for purpose and contrary to opinion there is no time limit on this obligation. They might offer you a one year guarantee but the obligation to "fit for purpose" is open ended. i would suggest that it is reasonable for the customer to expect better than 67k from a gearbox.
Take a look here, it might help

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/satisfactory-quality/

Last edited:
@coldsteel ellaswin should be able to tell you that.

I just tried to PM ellaswin. It failed. Then I realised that it could be something else and yes it is. It is software. Doh! lock up the key and Through me away.

I just tried to PM ellaswin. It failed. Then I realised that it could be something else and yes it is. It is software. Doh! lock up the key and Through me away.

That made me laugh. Mate some predicament your are in there and I wish you a good resolution.

As for Elsawin: you could try (of the top of my head) h5djr, NHN, Khufu (IIRC), then Audi Tetbury gentleman who's name evades me (early). I am sure that someone will pop on during the day, if not you could try a PM later.

Audi quoted, without taking a breath, £115 per hour and will take 5 hours and at least £2500+ for the parts.

As soon as I saw 'I took it to Audi' I knew I was going to flinch when I saw there estimate...three grand WOW

www.partsgateway.co.uk fill in the relevant forms and they will email you if they have a gearbox

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/audi-a3-2-0td...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1683|293:1|294:50

or put your car up for sale and you could buy this for 4k on top of what Audi are trying to fleece you for
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-AUDI-A3-....c0.m14&_trkparms=65:7|66:2|39:1|293:1|294:50

I am going down the 'not satisfactory' and a 'latent mechanical fault' route. I'm utterly devastated by this and cannot see why I should be forking out so much money to keep this cash cow running. My local Audi centre have been very good!

nicee that was nice of them..

now remove the gearbox! hehe

i take it coldsteels hasn't updated us as yet. because hes way to busy removing the a5's gear box. =D lol A5:haha:

All fixed. A5 has been returned after getting use to the 170 common rail engine. Audi UK offered %30 goodwill and I managed to get it to %40 with the labour charge carried out at the warranty rate. Still, it has cost £2000 on top of the misdiagnosed clutch and flywheel replacement at £1000 at a local garage!

I'm still not entirely happy with car and would get rid ASAP if I had the money. I was asked if I would consider buying another Audi, whilst the local centre in Crawley were very good, the build quality of the car is terrible and 21K purchase price has not been a good investment so far. If only the gearbox lasted as long as the rear window screen wiper which still works and I haven't had to replace it.

Right, I had better start saving for the cambelt to be changed in 10K miles. Great!