A3 2.0 TDi DSG Juddering

Reaction score
Hi All

Im a newbie to the site and really should have got on here ages ago!

Ive recently bought an A3 and had nothing but trouble and a hole in my wallet

Basically after pruchasing my wicked looking vehicle it has developed a problem where it keeps going into a safety mode limiting the revs

Also now it intermittently starts to judder, this starts off quite subtly but then becomes a really heavy jerking from the engine.

Once you turn the car off and on again its reset until it happens again.

The problem only happens when on longer runs and doesnt always happen.

Ive had a new head gasket and a brand new head put on the car and a new injector all mounting up to over £2k!

Thing is im not sure its fixed and its really driving me nuts

Do you have any ideas what it could actually be?

Any help is appreciated

When you put the AC on, does it make the idling any better?

Or does te car idle rough more in N or P as opposed to D, S and Manual mode?

Have you had vagcom on it?

Sounds like a fault with the Mechatronic unit on the DSG transmission, if it clears when switched off and on, and then comes back. Like a software issue or along them lines....

Quite a costly replacement/fix, but i would'nt say that is definate diagnosis of your problem...

Welcome by the way!

havent had a vagcom on it yet
this mechatronic unit sounds expensive:think:

you reckon the vag-com will flag this?

Yes should do, definately the first thing to do is get VAG COM on it and see what comes up, you never know it may be something simple and cheaper causing the problem.

It will narrow it down to what part of the car is at fault at least i.e engine or gearbox etc

When you say you're not sure its fixed, has it actually happened again then?

If its the mechatronic unit thats £1500 & it might not be a definitive diagnosis with the VAS5052 or Vagcom as error codes might not be specific as a friend of mine found out some time ago when he had gear change issue, which culminated in the new unit as discussed.

Best option is to scan with vag & then post the errors if any so can try & diagnose, but surely audi would have seen some codes or have you gone independent on this work as audi wouldnt have guessed & changed working parts I shouldnt think & still leave you with a problem & keep charging more money.

It is not very clear to me if this is happening only when the car is moving or also on idle.
If it happens only on the move and only when changing gears, than most likely is the mechatronic unit from the gearbox. If this juddering happens also when idling then may be from the flywheel or even the engine. A VAS or VagCom check is a must. Also try talking to someone who knows how to interpretate the readings in connection with the symptoms.

The judder only happens when moving Last time it happened, i was at 80 for about 5 mins and accelerated and the car went into safe mode. Side of the M1, pulled over and restarted and was all good for a while. Then it began juddering which gets worse and worse. If you let off the acelerator it dissapears but as soon as you accelerate judders more.
have stopped using it now as i dont want to make matters worse until i can fix
The work has all been done at an independant i have used before but im sure (i hope) they wouldnt fleece me
Anyone in MK got a VAG-COM?

Check the sticky mate for users, but if you want instant vagcom diag then I can sell you the proper kit & send out tomorrow for delivery friday, seriously you wont regret it mate.

Its 12.5% of that 2k you've spent on already & it will do a shed load more good in the time you ever use it than any mod, repair etc, its a wicked piece of kit.

speaking to a few people and they say it maybe waste gate actuator?
what is it?
could it be?

@ sticky guessing games will be hard mate, the cable NHN is offering sounds £££ now but it will pay off during the 1st or 2nd problems you experience with your car. You can then tweak you car, and check for faults yourself and because you know what the fault is you can repair it yourself so your only really paying for parts! guessing games will lead on to spending so much money which is not needed to be spend and esp some garages will take you for a ride when it comes to diagnosing a fault.

a must have for every VAG owner!

Considering 2k spent already & got nowhere I'd say you couldnt go wrong with vagcom now anyway as it would most likely point to possible causes or the problem & then after that you can use for future faults, coding changes, change features, add features, install new modules or options like rns, multi function steering wheel, many uses for it, use on any VAG car, not locked to just one car either, portable, just on laptop, for what it does it is a serious bargain as it does what the £5k audi verison does & I've used that aswell & vagcom was better no **** either, did more than audi to a degree.