New A3 1.6TDI Common rail

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've just noticed this item on the Autocar website:

Audi has added a 1.6-litre TDI common-rail diesel engine to its A3 range.
The new unit, which features stop-start technology, replaces the existing 1.9-litre TDIe engine in the A3, A3 Sportback and A3 Cabriolet models.
The 1.6-litre TDI engine produces the same 104bhp and 184lb ft or torque as the outgoing unit. In the three-door A3 hatch it boosts combined fuel economy by eight per cent to 68.9mpg compared with the old 1.9, while CO2 output is 109g/km.

When mated to a five-speed manual ’box, the 1.6 TDI can get the A3 hatch from 0-62mph in 11.4sec before hitting a top speed of 121mph. The A3 Cabriolet with this engine reaches 0-62mph in 12.2sec and has a top speed of 118mph, while its CO2 emissions rise slightly to 114g/km.
As well as the stop-start tech, the engine also features 'recuperation technology'. This system stores kinetic energy that is usually wasted under braking and reuses it to reduce the engine load when the car accelerates again. This improves fuel economy by three per cent.
Prices for the 1.6 TDI models start at £17,485 for the A3 3dr, £18,025 for the A3 Sportback and £20,645 for the A3 Cabriolet. They are on sale now.

Audi UK now have a new July 2009 Pricing and Specification Guide available on their website which includes the new 1.6TDI and no longer has any reference to the old 1.9TDI

I thought Audi was pushing the 1.9TDIe, now its obvious they were just getting rid of stock. I wonder what tuning performance the chip companys will find in this new 1.6?

no way! 1.6tdi! never would of guessed...they kept that quiet!

It can only hope to be as much of a performance machine as the 1.9 :undwech:

wouldnt the insurance be cheaper for young motorists?

ooh dear!! **** up on the S-Line price page in the online brochure!

they state the 1.6TDI is 140bhp with a six speed box...though it's good to see the 1.6TDI is available on the S-Line cause the 1.9TDI wasn't when I bought mine...

Awesome - my 1.9 TDIe Sport is obsolete before I've even taken delivery of it!

Ha ha, not to worry - I did know that this was happening. Think they ceased 1.9 production back in May and I got a really good deal on the TDIe Sport for the price of a base model, so £17k. Have you seen the price of a 1.6 TDI Sport in the new brochure?!!!

Wonder what'll happen to my P11D for tax purposes (it's a company car) if there's no list price for a 1.9 TDIe Sport on the day I received the car? Hopefully they'll use the price it was purchased for, as it did go back up very briefly between my order and the June price list. Even so, think the extra £1,200 only works out at an extra £5/month in tax in the worst case.

Anyone driven one of the 1.6TDI's? Imagine it's a lot quieter and smoother, but wonder if it'll have the same shove in 2nd gear as the 1.9 did.

Yep - I've got 1.9e Sport on order too for new company car - Due September apparently - Audi site still doesn't let you configure a 1.6 - 1.9 still only option...

I ordered the 1.9 TDIe Sport also.
I always knew it was going to be discontinued and this was the reason i had to buy one simply because it had free sport upgrade and i got a very good price on it.

Otherwise the A3 would be too expensive for me :-( ...well i didn't want the 1.6 petrol.

Glad there is an s-line 1.6 TDI but still no automatic on the 1.6 TDI

Well, I picked my 1.9TDIe up on Friday and am quite impressed with it. OK, so it's a bit noisy from the outside when you first start it up, but impressively insulated inside.

The car's more than quick enough to keep up with traffic, and has ample guts for motorway overtaking provided you're prepared to change down sometimes. Perhaps the 1.6 is better still, but I'm far happier with my extra toys.

Suspension on the Sport model is firm but not uncomfortable and the steering isn't as light as I had feared.

Appreciate that for many it doesn't offer enough thrills, but only 2% of the time do I find myself on a suitably dry, twisty road with nothing in front of me where I could enjoy some extra shove.

Loving the 13% tax and 57.6mpg on a busy Sunday-evening journey down the M1 to London.