roof rail's oem

10blazin

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED
Reaction score
is anyone selling a set of the chrome roof rails for a sportback or does anyone know the part numbers and cost of em please

Are you thinking of fiiting these Blazin? if so, do you understand what works involved? It's supposed to be a nightmare to complete.

really why is thats do you have to take the head lining out or could you pop fours tiny holes in the roof lining and stitch em back up cos sline's roof lining is black you would never notice

You have to drill through your roof mate, rather you than me. Let me know how you get on as I was interested in the black versions.

you get a new car you then looks nice , im gona have a look at the lining later if i can get to the roof through hole's that i could stitch up it would be a doddle and with the lining being black theres no way you will notice its getting hold of some damn chrome rails though , ebay have none and there flaming dear from audi i may go round some scrap yards in manc and have alook theres alot ....

I think you would need to take the lining of the roof mate, then drill down from the roof to the inside in order to get the placement correct. I took my top part of the lining out in order to put my GPS antenna for my RNS-E onto the roof inside the interior light section and it wasnt to bad. Have you put an advert in clasifieds saying your after some?

how did you get the lining out what it hard is there a how to thread on this do you know , you know its not the drilling through the roof that bothers me its the roof lining that does

could dave or nigel NHN kindly look in the parts catologue and give me the part numbers please and price of these are they still £250 each

Aha! You have seen the light blazin:idea: just kidding... Roof rails make the sportback IMHO. That was one of the pref's I looked for in mine (although the deal I got on mine meant I had to go with the black ones).

I am hopefully getting a pair of the silver ones in a swap... Just waiting on a PDF on the retrofit to come through from a helpful member on here and I will know what's involved... The job itself according to Audi is 4 hours long! Roof rails from Audi are circa £500! ****** ridiculous!! But hey... I think they come up more often on ebay.de than on ebay.co.uk. Not sure what they refer to them as though.

But hey... I think they come up more often on ebay.de than on ebay.co.uk. Not sure what they refer to them as though.

DACHRELING

Did German but did not have a clue for the word for this - got it from audi.de!

not sure about the light lol ?? im just toying with the idea im still undecided , but i really might need them for looks one but for roofrails and roofbox . if i decide to drive abroad...

Ok, you need the functionality rather than looks... Still I think they look better with, than without so if your actually gonna use them (I don't, lol!) then all the better...

I was thinking you would've wanted the black ones as you have the optics grill, cupra spoiler in black already.

Last edited:
yeah but mt wheels are kinda chrome they would look better with them if you look at my sig and imagine ali roof rails on it would look pretty good i know i have black optics and cupra but i dont like the murdered out look i think it cheapens the a3's looks i like kinda stylish oem looks

I am hopefully getting a pair of the silver ones in a swap...

And I'm getting black ones :)

Now I've done the grill and splitter, can't wait to get the rails done too (although the silver ones do look very cool, I'm just going for stealthy ;-)

Let's see what's involved in the DIY swap...

yeah but mt wheels are kinda chrome they would look better with them if you look at my sig and imagine ali roof rails on it would look pretty good i know i have black optics and cupra but i dont like the murdered out look i think it cheapens the a3's looks i like kinda stylish oem looks

The silver ones do look very good with the black grill - as long as you keep the Audi badge chrome; it picks up on the silver nicely. I think with your wheels, silver is def the way to go.

I've always liked the silver rails on estate A4's, but I'm not keen on the way it "lengthens" my A3 from the side. I guess I'm still in denile about needing 5 doors (baby due in 6 weeks!).

Hi guys,

I've sent out the PDF to you all. Hope you all got it, let me know if you didn't.

When I retro fitted mine on my last A3 I bought a kit from VAG parts, but as you all probably know, they've gone down now so I wouldn't have thought it's still available. It came with the roof rails, fixings and instructions but most importantly the templates for where to drill the holes in your roof. For those of you thinking of just swapping it's not an issue but for those fitting for the first time, I wouldn't attempt to do it unless you have these templates it would be almost impossible to guess where the holes have to be drilled.

I just wanted to let you all know that I've still got the templates and I'm quite happy to pass them on to anyone that want's them. I'd hope they could be passed around so everyone gets to benefit from them (I wouldn't have thought they are available to buy).

Fitting of the rails is quite straight forward, it's just a lot of work getting the roof lining out. Typical Audi build quality in that you have to start in the boot and take almost every panel off the inside of the car as there are hidden fixings that need to be revealed. It's not bad just time consuming and at least with the instructions you know where the fixings are!

I drilled my holes using a cone cutter (I think that's what it's called). It's a stepped drill bit so you start with a small hole and the bit just drills drops into the hole making the hole bigger as you go. It's a lot safer than trying to use normal drill bit's and risking them sliding accross your roof. I'll post a pic up later.

The roof rails do come up occasionally. As RS mentioned, more often on ebay.de. They are called dachreling. Bear in mind you also need adjustable fixings, which come to about £40 from Audi if the rails don't come with them.

The part numbers are in the instructions so it could be found out how much they are from Audi. I know they're not cheap though.

Hope that helps.

i didnt get pdf ...... send us one pal ,incase i do manage to get hold of a set