JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance

Status

Wheel Alignment/tracking - Really a Dealer only?

I wonder if someone could give me a straight answer about Tracking and Wheel Alignment on an A3 please?

I have done a search, and not found anyone who has had the answers I have had from Tyre garages, so I suspect I am being fed a load of bull for some reason.

I have had to have the front right, and a left rear wheel bearing replaced recently. Now Elsawin recommends that after a front wheel bearing is done that the tracking and wheel alignment is checked. I assume this is because the lower arm is removed to gain access, and that the drive shaft etc removed.

My mechanic said that it wasn't strictly necessary but said he would recommend it having it done for piece of mind.

Since I have the bearings done, the car has been feeling a little odd on occasions (not quite as 'planted' as before) so I have put it down to the fact that the alignment probably does need checking. Steering still appears to be straight.

So I have contacted my local National Tyres, ATS and Kwik-fit centres who are supposed to be able to do this, and all have replied that it is Dealer only job. They have said that the vehicle has to weighted correctly and they don't have the equipment to do it.

Is this correct or am I being fed a load of bull?

I'd rather get it done properly so if it is correct then thats fine, but if anyone know somewhere that is capable of doing it other than an Audi Dealer please let me know. (I'm near Cannock, Staffs)
    Last edited by chill14; 18th July 2009 at 13:06.
    Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport (140) 3dr 2005 (05)

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You're being fed a load of ball, there are loads of places that do proper alignment, just find a good reputable one with laser alignment & they will check for you for about 50 or maybe less, I knew the guys so got cheaper but audi charge the earth for setting it to book & usually wrong so drifts & wheel not straight.

I had mine done the other week when I did my rack & arb with mate & I had it set of the recommended so it drove straight & my wheel was also straight, sometimes takes a few small adjustments to get spot on & dont always follow the book, just set at book measurements then test for any drifting or steer wheel of center, then go back & advise whats out & they will adjust, I went back 2-3 times & its now perfect (I think, lol)

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    It's a bit of a drive from you, but I'd recommend The TT Shop in Bedford. They've got the latest Hunter alignment gear, and lots of experience with Audi alignment.

I'd avoid like likes of ATS, Kwikfit etc. as they're unlikely to do such an accurate job.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Status
    Thanks both of you. I suspected it as I could not find any reference to it on here. All I got to do now then is find somewhere that will do it without the bull.

Cheers
    Dave

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Dave, i believe Lodge Tyres in Aston, Birmingham should be able to do this or BMTR in Great Barr, dont think they are that far from you, give them a call and see if they can help you out, im sure they should be able to do the trick for you.

Cheers
    Nilz

6th Gear

Status
    I think the issue for companies outwith VAG is that they dont know enough about the steering angle sensor etc. Somebody got his knackered by a garage that didnt know what they were doing.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

6th Gear

Status
    Have you tried Midland vw in Norton Canes?

They did mine for free when i had a cv joint done there!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
    I think the issue for companies outwith VAG is that they dont know enough about the steering angle sensor etc. Somebody got his knackered by a garage that didnt know what they were doing.
    Nah steering angle sensor will be fine, its only when they take the steering wheel, slip ring, cluster etc etc of it would affect it, shouldnt touch this on an alighnment, shouldnt but you know some of these John Wayne's lmao

2nd Gear

Status
    LOL @ john waynes...

tyre world - birmingham!
    Audi A3 2.0 tdi sport..many mods to follow...just too fussy when it comes to making decisions!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    Have you tried Midland vw in Norton Canes?

They did mine for free when i had a cv joint done there!
    i didn't even think of trying Jody at Midland VW. He is only 10 mins away, I'll give him a bell.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It is quite clear then that I have been given a load of bull, and there are people who can actually do this.

Thanks everyone
    Dave

4th Gear

Status
    kwik fit do it! i paid 25 for my front wheels, when I messed up the the steering wheel alignment with the tyres after fitting a FBMFSW

A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Not with a barge pole & maybe with a tyre iron after they damage the alloy.