My new S.Blue S3!!

Well guys with Stage2+ complete, I finally got round to doing a rolling road of the car to see the final output.

I use a company called AI Autosport based in Northern Ireland who regularly do Rolling Road Days via numerous local websites throughout the province.

They RR'd the car at Stage 1 with an output of 337bhp, Stage 2 at 352bhp and here are the graphs for Stage2+

*I RR'd the car to see the difference in power between the stages, not for final power figures as these can vary from RR to RR.*

RevoStage2Run2jpg0001.jpg

RevoStage2Run2AFRjpg0001.jpg

I am very pleased - however, you will see in the graph there is a small peak just after 6k rpm. This aparently is a small missfire. It does not register on the DIS or vagcom but the tuner had me in the car to experience it and the car juddered in the same place on the graph every time.

I initially had 3 runs, went to TPS, bought new plugs, drove to my mates, changed them and then returned for a further 3 runs.

I found that cylinders 1/3/4 were loose-ish and 2 was tight.

However, changing the plugs did not affect the "missfire" as you can see from the graph. The tuner has advised me to tap the plug tip down by 0.1mm to see if this rectifies.

Reason for this for those that do not know is for cars running higher boost can effectively blow out the spark causing a missfire. With the metal tip of the plug closer to the spark, this will prevent it from being blown out.

I will give this a try and see how it goes!

I was the most powerful car there on the day and a lot of people wanted a spirited run in it so I was more than happy to ablige!

Next is interior mods so watch this space - a good bit happening very soon!

Reactions: warren_S5
Woohoo! Boydie, those are seriously impressive stats. Nice one, Bud. Looking forward to seeing what comes next. :wub: x

Thanks Paulie - as said, several more mods to come over the next month or two. However, I have just booked flights for my annual snowboarding trip so they might be on hold for a little while yet!

Car is staying put so I can take my time but I have itchy fingers lol need to stay in control lol

some nice work dude!

I am awaiting my stage2 clutch from autops to be delivered now! (Thanks to Ed for shipping to Australia!).. also grabbed an RNSE whilst i was away! Hopefully all will be done within the next couple weeks!

Have you thought about changing your engine mounts?

Thanks for the comments - no I haven't actually. It isn't something I am too familiar about. What is the general opinion?

Change them to what?

How much?

hi,

very impressive boydie !

but whats the difference between s2 and s2+ ?

with best regards from germany.

Good to see it posting good results Boydie; nice one!

Awesome car, I want to see the engine cover fitted! and have you just got down pipe and not the rest of the system?

I think there is a picture of the engine with the cover fitted but I cannot see as the photos are blocked in work :( I have a full Miltek Resonated TBE :)

hi,

very impressive boydie !

but whats the difference between s2 and s2+ ?

with best regards from germany.

Stage 2 is basically cold air intake and turbo back exhaust plus software

Stage 2+ is an uprated high pressure fuel pump and software

Thanks very much for the comments - I have a few more bits and pieces I would like to get done over xmas in time for the 2012 show year so hopefully be updating this again soon!

Andrew

Hi Boydie,

I've been looking over your build thread again and noticed your wheels are 8.5 x 19 and your tyres are 235's... Great setup and just want I want! :) If possible that is. I believe this setup is possible because of the offset of your wheels, which is ET50. I'm contemplating CH-Rs 8.5 x 19s with 235 however rubbing is a concern but the offset is close to yours ET48. Do you think it is doable?

Cheers for any help.

Kirit

Should be fine mate - maybe even consider a 225 or 215 profile tyre

There is more than a 2mm clearance for the offset so a 235 will be fine.

Personally I probably should have done 225/215 for that little but more stretch.

Well the carbon wrap didn't last long.

While I was away on Holiday last week, I had dropped my engine cover off to Ryan at Nu Finish, Antrim to have the inserts dipped in a carbon effect.

http://www.nufinish.co.uk/

Previously I had used CF Vinyl to wrap the inserts. The top section of the engine cover lasted and turned out well IMO but the bottom section, due to its deep sections and difficult lines, lifted and cracked due to the heat of the engine.

So, I picked up my cover yesterday from the guys and I am extremely happy with the outcome (hopefully pics work, linked from another site):

6ee5f590.jpg

933f97de.jpg

b0d22a36.jpg

d729e18e.jpg

I have a little bit of work left to do to it like cleaning, waxing and fitting the Audi rings back. I will thoroughly clean the engine bay as well prior to fitting and get some better photos taken.

Big thanks to Ryan and his brother at Nu Finish! I will be back!!

Last edited:
Reactions: S. and N8
Small update today guys.

Well after having the HPFP fitted and Revo doing the software upgrade to 2+
at Edition, I needed to fit the RS4 Fuel Valve.

This went quite successfully without having to remove the intake manifold

See difference below of S3 (left) and RS4 (right)

c8bbff7c.jpg

Hi mate,

Why do you have to fit this? Was you getting misfires/fuel cuts once you went to S2+? I'm going to S2+ this week but not seen anything about fitting one of these?

Thanks
:)

You definitely need the valve if you are going HPFP, FMIC, Intake, Stage2+ etc.. if you don't have it, you definitely will have some issues.

also if you havent cleaned out your carbon in a while and your over 60k i would highly suggest it as i did recently and car feels very difference to drive/revs out much cleaner.

Thanks guys - fitted the cover tonight after attaching the Audi rings. Looks a lot nicer and stands out more. Just need to give the engine bay an over haul!!

You definitely need the valve if you are going HPFP, FMIC, Intake, Stage2+ etc.. if you don't have it, you definitely will have some issues.

also if you havent cleaned out your carbon in a while and your over 60k i would highly suggest it as i did recently and car feels very difference to drive/revs out much cleaner.

I'm going S2+ map on Wednesday. I've got HPFP, ITG CAI, and will have TBE. Not going any further after this. Would I need it? Not fitting IC etc.

Why is the valve a must? I've been running an Autotech HPFP for 5k miles (on S1 software) with no issues. You've got me worried now!

Just done some research and as long as my cam followers is fresh (it is, only done 1,500 miles!) I think it will OK. I'll log actual vs requested fuel rail pressure once I've gone to S2+ and see where we are at. Sounds like a nightmare to fit! :)

Any more plans Boyds, or happy with how things are?

Planning to purchase the American centre console this or next week.

In March, I plan to get the Extended Pack retrim for the triangles and armrests etc...

That would more or less have the car sitting perfect for me bar front stone chips so maybe a front respray after easter to bring in the summer!

Just maintain it from now on and enjoy it, no plans to sell as I haven't a clue what I would buy next!!

Why is the valve a must? I've been running an Autotech HPFP for 5k miles (on S1 software) with no issues. You've got me worried now!

It isn't a must but for the sake of £40 for the valve and a couple hours max fitting it, you may as well.

Fuel pressure increases further so that is a good thing lol

May as well update my thread from the US Centre Console upgrade:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...2-u-s-sytle-cup-holders-centre-console-4.html

Latest update - been working on the car the last week to fit the USDM (so to speak) centre console.

Just a reminder, the European A3/S3 centre console has a 3" slot beside the handbrake. This is pretty useless IMO, only really handy for holding chewing gum. The cup holders for the EU A3/S3 are located under the armrest which is a pain because you have to put the armrest up to gain access.

The USA console does not have a slot and has cup holders in place - ideal!

I won't bore you with a "how to" guide like on the Audi forums but if anyone is interested, just let me know and I can link you.

Difference between the two consoles once I had everything removed:

1e6fc89a.jpg

You can notice a big difference in the ends which go under the footwell - was going to pose a problem:

caa8bc4a.jpg

All my original parts copied over easily:

392e430c.jpg

Where original cup holders were, now a lighter, 12v supply and Aux in jack:

9b9bb3e4.jpg

So at the minute the job is not complete as I have bits still to arrive and parts getting trimmed by Baron at Top Secret. Hopefully all the bits and pieces will be sorted for next week and fitted.

All shaping up nicely for Dubshed!

(Let me know if the pictures have transferred over as I am in work and PB is blocked :( )

Quick sneak peek of what I have been getting done to the car the last week or so, nearly finished!

Extended leather pack :rockwoot:

Hopefully all will be ready tomorrow evening and I can get round to picking them up and fitting!!

6d8554c5.jpg

59379a1c.jpg

Reactions: warren_S5 and Paullie
Love what you've got going on inside the cabin, Boydie. The US centre console seems much better thought out and the extended leather pack is gonna look pretty special. Hat's off to you yet again, ..top modding! :wub: xx

awesome mate! love it!

i am going to get my arms and c/a frames (Whatever you want to call them) done as well .. been meaning to for ages and have spares but never dropped by .. but now that ive seen yours definitely want it all done!