A3 iPod dock connector - will iPhone work in it?

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
If I want to charge my iPhone in the car I currently use a 12v plug in charger device from Apple.

Questions:

1) As the new Apple products (like iPod Touch 2G / iPhone 3G(s) etc... have new pin configurations does this mean the new products don't charge in these slots (car is MY2007)?

2) Also, if you had your iPhone in the iPod dock connector and the phone rang, would the music pause / phone ring / call answer facility still work through the bluetooth set up, or is that expecting way too much?

Many thanks in advance.

Knowing the fragility of Audi stuff I was reluctant to try my luck!

From what I hear it's more likely the iPhone will break!

Tried my Iphone 3G on the Audi Ipod glovebox dock and very hard to see but the Iphone flashes up something along the lines of "Unsupported Device" so you can't browse your playlists and no it won't charge it up either. Very annoying!

The audi ipod connector is a joke. :sadlike: In fact the whole in car entertainment system is IMHO. I went for the upgraded 6 disc in dash headunit and the Bose speaker upgrade (which whistles quietly along with the alternator), with ipod connector in glovebox. The cd bit is fine. Reads mp3's and displays the ID3 tags. But the ipod connector only lets me browse the first 6 playlists (as in copying the cd 1- 6 controls for the headunit) and can't display any track information at all. Expected better from Audi. If I'd researched better I'd of left the audio side standard. Not bothered with the bluetooth hands free either. And then had a double din Kenwood dvd/sat nav/bluetooth headunit fitted and some after market speakers and a sub.

I've heard a rumour however of a cable that can convert from the old interface to the new one with the pin changes, which might allow you to charge it. Be interested if anyone can confirm????

Woohooo!! Thanks Tates, much appreciated. Ordering one now :thumbsup:

Quick update to this in case anyones interested. Got the Scosche passport adapter in the post yesterday and tried it out last night. Works perfectly :happy:

A message does flash up on my iphone3G when you plug it in, saying "This accessory is not made to work with iphone" and then asks about turning airline mode on. I ignored this and noted it was definitely charging the iphone. Then jabbed the cd button twice to select ipod connector and yes I could access my first 6 playlists and skip through songs no problem at all. Great little gadget for £20 and 100% satisfied with it. My thanks again to Tates1979 :salute:

I nipped into Swindon Audi on Tuesday to ask for a fascia plate adaptor for my iPod Touch.

Bloke on parts desk says, unfortunately (here we go), you need 2 kits to make that fit, as one part is in each kit, so that will be £20. As it happens they didn't have it in stock (either kit), so I went away to think about it as they aren't my local stealer.

Strangely convenient that you need 2 kits to make it work. I know it's only £20, but can't help but feel they get enough of my money already.

Good to hear about the charger adaptor unit though. Really fancy the Alpine box which gives on screen info.

Quick update to this in case anyones interested. Got the Scosche passport adapter in the post yesterday and tried it out last night. Works perfectly :happy:

A message does flash up on my iphone3G when you plug it in, saying "This accessory is not made to work with iphone" and then asks about turning airline mode on. I ignored this and noted it was definitely charging the iphone. Then jabbed the cd button twice to select ipod connector and yes I could access my first 6 playlists and skip through songs no problem at all. Great little gadget for £20 and 100% satisfied with it. My thanks again to Tates1979 :salute:

Am i right in thinking that your ipod dock is in the top of the glove box, and if so does the glove box door still shut with the scoche adaptor in place?
just wondering as im tempted to order one.

block.

Hi Block,

Yes I have the proper audi ipod connector built into the glovebox. And yes you can still shut the glovebox with the iphone and Scosche adapter in place.

Must be close though! It's possible when shutting the glovebox that the iphone is being lifted slightly as it shuts. Only way I'd know for sure would be to stick my camcorder in there with it's night vision mode on! (hmmmm an idea) But it's not been a problem at all if it is.

Great little adapter and a perfect solution to charge your iphone as well as access music on it from the headunit. If only it somehow updated the headunit to pass on track information too! Only way to fix that pain in the backside is to retrofit the 2010 headunits and AMI which now does ipod connections properly at last!! Why couldn't they fix that last year when I bought my car!! :mad: lol

Tried my Iphone 3G on the Audi Ipod glovebox dock and very hard to see but the Iphone flashes up something along the lines of "Unsupported Device" so you can't browse your playlists and no it won't charge it up either. Very annoying!

The audi ipod connector is a joke. :sadlike: In fact the whole in car entertainment system is IMHO. I went for the upgraded 6 disc in dash headunit and the Bose speaker upgrade (which whistles quietly along with the alternator), with ipod connector in glovebox. The cd bit is fine. Reads mp3's and displays the ID3 tags. But the ipod connector only lets me browse the first 6 playlists (as in copying the cd 1- 6 controls for the headunit) and can't display any track information at all. Expected better from Audi. If I'd researched better I'd of left the audio side standard. Not bothered with the bluetooth hands free either. And then had a double din Kenwood dvd/sat nav/bluetooth headunit fitted and some after market speakers and a sub.

I've heard a rumour however of a cable that can convert from the old interface to the new one with the pin changes, which might allow you to charge it. Be interested if anyone can confirm????

couldnt agree with you more, its so dissapointing!

if i buy one of these Scosche passport adapters, will it allow me to charge my ipod nano in my ipod adaptor, as it doesnt at present :crying: its a 4th gen 8G

Last edited:
Yes S3RYE it will definitely solve the charging issue for your Nano. Back of the packet states:

"Allows car integration accessories that do not support charging to work with the iPod touch (Gen 2), ipod nano (Gen4), and iPhone 3G"