Import A3 sportback 1.9tdi (ROI) - changing speedo dials from KM to MPH?

tates1979

Reaction score
Hi folks -

As stated above, have purchased an a3 sportback from a family member in Republic of Ireland (into N Ireland), but the Speedo dial is in KM/PH only, no MPH referenced on it.

I have a small sticker placed on it that has enabled it to pass the MOT, but was wondering if it's possible to buy the official audi dial from anywhere? It gets a little hard to see the stickered MPH figures, especially at night.

Cheers in advance for the help!

:icon_thumright:

If you've got the little screen thingy (technical term) between the two main dials then you can set that to show your speed in mph using the control stalk. I do this sometimes to make me feel at home :yes:

little screen thingy = DIS (driver information system) :thumbsup:

Hi folks -

As stated above, have purchased an a3 sportback from a family member in Republic of Ireland (into N Ireland), but the Speedo dial is in KM/PH only, no MPH referenced on it.

I have a small sticker placed on it that has enabled it to pass the MOT, but was wondering if it's possible to buy the official audi dial from anywhere? It gets a little hard to see the stickered MPH figures, especially at night.

Cheers in advance for the help!

:icon_thumright:

And more of an answer to the question you were actually asking: if you don't have this DIS :o.k: then you need probably a good used clock set. I think you need to use something like a vag-com :think: to get them to work with your car. Please, somebody explain properly :lmfao:

Or do this! A kilometre is 0.62 of a mile. Therefore 50 kmh is 30, 70 is 40, 100 is 60, 130 is 80, 160 is 100, and so on*

*all of the above figures are ish

Last edited:
Maybe some Irish member with an imported (from UK) Sportback would be willing to swap dials with you... Win win for both parties. No shortage of imported cars driving around here anyway!

(Not mine though!)

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Unfortunately, don't have the DIS, so as RS84 has mentioned, I might try and suss out a dial swapsies with an Irish member who has imported. Anyone know if its difficult to swap out just the clockface?

Dunno to be honest m8 - on an older car it's usually a really easy job to get the dials apart but you have a modern Audi and there's usually a catch! I wouldn't try it, if I did it they would never work again :beee: