Advice Needed

borofoga

Reaction score
First of all i must say hello to what seems like the best Audi forum out there :respekt:

Its another 6 weeks before my new A3 1.9TDIe Sport is delivered but the salesman is now badgering me for the following and i need help.

1) RTI Gap - Audi price £495 (£10,000 cover over 3 years)
- I feel Gap insurance is a good idea but have seen it for £120 online. Will Audi price match?

2) Autoglym Lifeshine Protection - Audi price £350
- Is this really needed? What is paint warranty for then?

3) Tyre Insurance - Audi price £350
- Is this also really needed? If it is a good idea, is there anybody that does it cheaper?

4) Key Insurance - Audi price £150
- Come on they should give me a spare key should they not?

If i take 2) & 3), 4) is free & 1) becomes £445

Any help/advice much appreciated, TIA

To be honest mate, the only one I would be tempted by is the GAP insurance

I used to work in car sales so know all about the products mentioned

GAP insurance is a good idea but heard a lot of horror stories about GAP finding there way round paying out with different lupoles, etc

Dont even consider the lifeshine, it is awful and will be applied by some part time valeter who will no doubt swirl the paint on your car. You would be better off spending £100 on some products, reading up online and doing it yourself or paying a proper detailer circa £200 to fully detail your car (professionally) machine polish, etc

Although the tyre and key insurance seem like good ideas, the cost makes them unappealing. do you think you would spend £700 in your lifetime ownership on damaged tyres or broken keys??

Thats my 50p worth :)

Good advice above.

Tyre insurance?! never heard of it! Is that a yearly rate or what?

KEY insurance?!?! Yes you get a spare, with a tag with a code on for making new keys. It's not cheap but I'm pretty sure it's less than £150!

Gap is rated by quit a few on here but I don't know a lot about it. I'm sure there was a thread in this forum a looooong time ago about it. Just do an advanced search within 8P for 'GAP insurance' within the title and/or within the thread and see what you get.

keys can be cut and programmed from Duplicut, birmingham! for less than £100

im not too sure about the gap insurance but i know all the other stuff is basically a con.

i made my missus get the lifeshine on her ka purely because the paint didnt come with any warrenty, but now we had it done, the paint is protected for 3 years i think, once we got car home, i cleaned off all the stuff they put on and done it properly, as said earlier, pay a detailer to do it, might be a bit more but you will be very happy with the finish.

key insurance is a good idea, but its pricey. i got it free of charge with my bike insurance, but i wouldn't have paid for it.

Thanks for the advice guys.
I knew it was all a con.
I will go for the GAP if Audi price match but the rest as i thought is bogus.

I recently purchased my Audi S4 from a dealership in Northampton.
I myself didn't know anything about Gap Insurance until the salesman told me. He too wanted to charge me over £450!

As £450 is quite steep after already parting with £32,000 for the actual car, i looked online and found exactly the same product -back to invoice price/Glass's Guide at a cheaper price with click4gap.co.uk.
I saved over £150 by buying through them,i can't actually believe the ordasity of the dealers adding on such high commissions.

The only thing is, after i purchased from click4gap i visited confused.com to see if i can get a better deal on my insurance, and they are now selling Gap Insurance on their site too. I have clicked through and it seems they are exactly the same in paying back to to Glass's Guide and their prices are even lower. They also provide even more options to add on cover for dealer extras, excess buster etc, so the good news is i can tell my husband and son to buy Gap for their car from confused.

Seems we’ve all had a similar experience and hold the same view. The only one to go for is the Gap. The Audi dealer who sold me my car was great, really helpful and really took the stress out of buying the car (Vindis). :applaus:

It was only once the finance guy got involved that I felt a bit pressured. But he did sell me on the idea of Gap insurance and I’m really please I bought it. Like lou lou I went online and bought direct. There’s loads of choice, but I went for what I think is the safest option, www.click4gap.co.uk. This forum has them advertised, plus when I called them they answered the phone and seemed really well informed:applaus: – can’t remember if they were the cheapest, but there wasn’t much in it.

I didn’t see the Gap on www.confused.com when I renewed my insurance, but I’m going to take a look as my lovely little boy is on the road now in his pride and joy (my old Fiesta) with a crisp new driving licence. I didn’t know you could buy Gap if you’ve owned the car for a while.

Has any-one bought from Confused.com?

The Audi guy got back to me and agreed to 'price match' the on-line quote for GAP RTI. Excellent!

I've just purchased a 2 year GAP Policy for my new A3 Sportback. I paid £163 from Surf and Protect (www.surfandprotect.com). The reason I went for their particular RTI policy is that my normal car insurance will replace my car with a like for like replacement in the first 12 months and S and P allow you to buy a 2 year policy which starts when your car is one year old, thus giving a total of 3 years cover. This policy can be purchased any time before the car is 90 days old. I had my new A3 at the end of April and have just purchased the GAP Policy.

The Audi guy got back to me and agreed to 'price match' the on-line quote for GAP RTI. Excellent!

My dealer did the same too - but there was no way I was giving him any business after he tried to rob me with his original quote for Gap. He added a whopping £200 EXTRA profit on!!! Then he looked at me like he was doing me a favour when he dropped the price.

I felt insulted that he thought I was that stupid - I definately don't have "mug" written accross my forehead... so he lost out by being so greedy.

Come on guys -lets vote with our feet so future buyers don't get caught out!!:iagree:

Gap insurance audi dealers try to sell you covers the difference between the Motor Insurers settlement and the cost of a replacement new vehicle, even if the price has increased. And if you ask he can offer you the Gap insurance that covers the difference between the your Motor Insurers settlement and the original amount you paid for your car.

Sal
I know - I bought the one that covers the difference between the your Motor Insurers settlement and the original amount you paid for your car. Can't find any difference in the cover - just missing the dealers massive commission!:busted_cop:

gap is worth it , we got our car stolen and got 4 g to put on another , well worth it in my eyes if you do happen to get it stolen of coarse ...

I know - I bought the one that covers the difference between the your Motor Insurers settlement and the original amount you paid for your car. Can't find any difference in the cover - just missing the dealers massive commission!:busted_cop:

I agree with you but then there are only few who do their homework before purchasing a car or are bothered by paying extra £3.00/month hence the reason dealers still charge too much for loads of stuff which you can get at cheap price from other places because they are good at selling .. And when that business manager start giving you all that bull and try explain with all them worse case scenario examples lol you automatically think oh yeah this is a safe option lol .. human nature i suppose :huh:

Sal

gap is worth it , we got our car stolen and got 4 g to put on another , well worth it in my eyes if you do happen to get it stolen of coarse ...

Don.t think most people have this problem as they don.t live in Gunchester pal....imao!!!!!!!

Have you seen how many cars get stolen from machester on all the different forums ...

Im allright always keep the staffordshire bull terrier in the car...lol...

Last edited:
i know great isnt it then we all end up buying the cheap parts .....

not that ive bought any but alot of members do buy parts from ebay all probably stolen of coarse ..... like all the rnse's from lithuania .....lol everything the guy sells is used ....all stolen .....

I usually get gap thrown into the deal as a sweetner its pure commision for the sales person they get it for like £50 -£100, the paint protection is crap and would avoid it...

I also put gap on another car a few years ago and used Click4gap they were fine, although didn't claim (thank God) but a hell of alot cheaper.

It want hear some horror stories go on the detailing world forums and pro detailers having brand new cars in to take the protection off because its crap.

The insurance is a con.

Tyre insurance is...well probably a con unless you work /drive in a place where nails/sharp objects are abundant or you think you will hit curbs hard and puncture your tyres.

My dealer did the same too - but there was no way I was giving him any business after he tried to rob me with his original quote for Gap. He added a whopping £200 EXTRA profit on!!! Then he looked at me like he was doing me a favour when he dropped the price.

I felt insulted that he thought I was that stupid - I definately don't have "mug" written accross my forehead... so he lost out by being so greedy.

Come on guys -lets vote with our feet so future buyers don't get caught out!!:iagree:
I have still to say yes to Audi.

You are right and i will vote with my feet and not buy from Audi!