Annoying Whining noise ...

Jlovett

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've got a really annoying whining noise that happens as I accelerate. You can hear it clearly in low gears and even slightly in higher gears, until the noise of the engine just drowns it out. It also gets louder as I steering right, which I notice a lot going round roundabouts.

Had it with Audi and they can't find any fault, typical! I've still got used car warranty until September so am keen to track the problem down and get them to fix it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

55 reg A3 2.0T Quattro

I've got a really annoying whining noise that happens as I accelerate.

I had something very similar, really annoying whining noise whenever I put my boot all the way in during hard acceleration... but also during sudden braking or even if I drove over speedbumps too quickly.

...In my case it turned out to be my wife. -Not sure if your situation will be the same though!

:moa:

-Keef

I had something very similar, really annoying whining noise whenever I put my boot all the way in during hard acceleration... but also during sudden braking or even if I drove over speedbumps too quickly.

...In my case it turned out to be my wife. -Not sure if your situation will be the same though!

:moa:

-Keef
LOL

sound to me like your turbo has gone mate well the bearings in it

Haha, good one, don't worry I fixed that whine a long time ago!

Ah ok, I'll get them to have another delve and this time insist they change something, rather than fob me off. I'm sure they do it just waiting until your warranty runs out!

Cheers

sound to me like your turbo has gone mate well the bearings in it

Quick question. Bare with me complete novice here! If bearings are gon in the turbo does that mean completley new turbo needed, or can the bearings be replaced? If so difficult job?

Cheers

Well, is it related to road speed, or boost pressure? -is it a thin whistle, or a midrange "groan-whine" -does it sound air-borne or structure-borne?

Turbo whistle shouldn't be any more or less audible based on steering angle...

If it IS the turbo bearings, it's not a job for the layman. The Turbo is wet-jacketed, as well as oil-cooled, and properly rebuilding a turbo after dismantling far enough to change the bearings calls for measurement equipment to measure shaft end-float etc... -You also need to make sure that the oil seals DO NOT leak after they're re-installed... not to mention the fact that four paths converge at the turbo... intake, exhaust, cooling and oiling... ALL have to be reliably sealed, and RELIABLY kept completely separate from each other. You don't want even a small amount of coolant in the intake, oil in the intake, oil in the exhaust, etc. (most things get pulled into the intake, because it's so frequently under a partial vacuum... nothing gets into the oil because it's under pressure, likewise the water is pumped through)

Basically, if it's the turbo, leave it to an experienced professional. I also have a water-jacketed turbo on the Porsche, and I wouldn't trust a rebuild to ANYONE other than a VERY experienced professional.

If you don't have a boost gauge, (you should... EVERYBODY who wants to know what's going on with a turbo should!) then try accellerating hard and listen for the noise, then lift off sharply for about 3/4 of a second (the only pedal you should be touching is the gas... DO NOT touch the clutch if it's a manual, and do not touch the brakes) and then bang back hard on the gas KEEPING YOUR FOOT IN... listening for the whistle all the time. -If it's a turbo, the 'lag' between complete 'lift-off' and 'foot-in' will mean that the whistle will swoop in pitch MORE than the slight drop in engine pitch. -If it's something associated with road speed, the musical pitch interval between the whine and the engine 'note' will remain constant.

Keith

Thanks for the reply.

The noise is definitely affected by right hand steering, it becomes considerably louder. But is also present when going straight, and is affected by the higher the revs get, it goes up in pitch.

I wouldn't say its a groaning noise, or a whistling. High pitched whine is the best way of describing it.

Have the garage check your rear differential. At least the new S3s, mainly sportbacks are known to whine. Mine is doing it but as soon as the car moves or the radio is on, the noise disappears (for the time being), that's how 'quiet' it is. Other members say theirs can be heard over music. In such case the dealers may replace it under warranty. Search for a thread started by tobycruise for more info

EDIT: Audi dealers can only find a problem if the diagnostics show it. They cannot see it elsewise. They will not find a dinosaur resting on the back seat if the computer doesn't show it on screen. :huh:

Last edited:
...and is affected by the higher the revs get, it goes up in pitch.

What happens when you change up a gear? Does the pitch drop back down again and rise with the engine, or does it continue to climb in pitch without dropping when changing gear?

If it follows the engine pitch, then it CAN'T be the differential (or anything else after the transmission).

Keith

Have the garage check your rear differential. At least the new S3s, mainly sportbacks are known to whine. Mine is doing it but as soon as the car moves or the radio is on, the noise disappears (for the time being), that's how 'quiet' it is. Other members say theirs can be heard over music. In such case the dealers may replace it under warranty. Search for a thread started by tobycruise for more info

EDIT: Audi dealers can only find a problem if the diagnostics show it. They cannot see it elsewise. They will not find a dinosaur resting on the back seat if the computer doesn't show it on screen. :huh:

lol at the dinosaur comment ....hahahaha

What happens when you change up a gear? Does the pitch drop back down again and rise with the engine, or does it continue to climb in pitch without dropping when changing gear?

If it follows the engine pitch, then it CAN'T be the differential (or anything else after the transmission).

Keith

Yeah it drops back down, then slowly winds back up.

I find myself changing up sooner than usual to stop people starring at me whining round the corner!

Yeah it drops back down, then slowly winds back up.

I find myself changing up sooner than usual to stop people starring at me whining round the corner!

VWAddict seems to be right in that case, can't be the differential if it's THAT loud and connected to engine speed.