Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    3rd Gear

Status

weird gimmick???

hey guys,

when starting my car this morning (9am) everything was normal, i was down a country road so was fairly dark, all was normal, i put the windows down and then noticed that my dials light up slightly. i have never noticed it before so i was playing around and found out that when the windows are up, dial lights are off and when there down, there on. anyone know the reason for this??

also, when i got home, when i put windows up, i expected the dial lights to turn off, but they stayed on, why do they do this and what is the point?

and before you ask, all my lights were switched off. i did check myself, many times. lol

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I think there is a light sensor in the instrument binnacle that assesses the ambient light, and alters the illumination as required. I've noticed this before and I think it's quite useful.

3rd Gear

Status
    it makes me wonder how many other little electronic gizmos are on our cars!

Enthusiast

Status
    A nice little surprise.
    VCDS USER

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    I'm still trying to find the 12v socket that is apparently hidden under the dash/glovebox!

2nd Gear

Status
    According to the manual the instruments darken when it is getting dark.

This also happens obviously if they are in a lot of shade, this is why it appears to light up and dim dependent on lighting conditions.

The reason is to act as a reminder for the driver the stick the headlights on.

So...
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 140 Sport S-Tronic (8P3)

Aruba Blue

Alu Roof Rails*Cruise*BOSE*USB

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    I'm still trying to find the 12v socket that is apparently hidden under the dash/glovebox!
    theres a 12v socket under the glovebox?!?!? has everyone got this? if so any pics??

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tdisportuk View Post
    theres a 12v socket under the glovebox?!?!? has everyone got this? if so any pics??

I read it here A3 easter eggs

Can't see it anywhere.

They having us on?!?!?

3rd Gear

Status
    what so when it is really dark the dial lights don't come on to remind you to turn them on?

i dont have a 12v socket in my glove box!

1st Gear

Status
    I noticed the clocks illuminating too and I guessed its because if the windows are down then you don't have the green tint from the window stopping the glare so a smidge of light will balance it. The dials also light when going through a bridge etc for your convenience. If you notice just next to the 160 mph mark there is a little circle and thats the sensor to see how much light comes in i believe.
    Biggie Biggie Biggie can't you see!
    2008 a5 3.0TDi Quattro. And for when I wanna go fast.... Suzuki B-King (Hayabusa with no fairing, think 0-100 in 5.1 seconds!)

3rd Gear

Status
    thats what i thought too, but the other day, dial lights were on while the windows were up! got a mind of its own!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by biggiep View Post
    I noticed the clocks illuminating too and I guessed its because if the windows are down then you don't have the green tint from the window stopping the glare so a smidge of light will balance it. The dials also light when going through a bridge etc for your convenience. If you notice just next to the 160 mph mark there is a little circle and thats the sensor to see how much light comes in i believe.
    The dials should not light up when you go through a bridge - they should actually darken.

The dials will DIM when the light is fading to remind the driver to switch the headlights on.

Aruba Blue

6+1 Gears

Status
    I believe there is a light sensor in the dashboard. I just took these pictures of my dashboard and you can see on the right side, below the 260 km/h mark a red dot. I think that is the sensor.
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Wai-Fan's Instagram Channel
    Ohhhhhh so that's what that dot was! Saw it once and wondered what it's for. Thought it was to remind you that your car was gonna explode if you go any faster!
    2006/2008 - 52 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX, Platinum Silver

2008 - 04 Audi A3 8P1 2.0 TDi (140) Sport, Mauritius Blue

2013 - 2010 Audi B8 S4, Quartz Grey

is a retronaut

Status
    The lights dim because they react to the ambient light, not as a reminder to the driver.

With less ambient light the dials etc do not need to be as bright to be seen.

The RNS-E screen brightness changes as the light changes too. For example on a sunny day down a country lane with trees the screen almost flashes with the changing brightness. You can't tell me that's to remind the driver that it's dark outside!

I used to have an LED clock that did the same.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

6+1 Gears

Status
    Yes Staz, that is correct! I have a 6600 Nokia phone with an ambient light sensor which does just as you said. When is strong light the display is brighter so you can see better. If it is dark, the minimum brightness is enough to be able to see the display.
    The same with the lights in the car. If they are too bright when dark, they may affect the view outside.
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    The lights dim because they react to the ambient light, not as a reminder to the driver.

With less ambient light the dials etc do not need to be as bright to be seen.

The RNS-E screen brightness changes as the light changes too. For example on a sunny day down a country lane with trees the screen almost flashes with the changing brightness. You can't tell me that's to remind the driver that it's dark outside!

I used to have an LED clock that did the same.
    Okay was sure I had read that in the manual.....

Here it is:

'The needles on the dials in the instrument cluster are illuminated when the ignition is on and the exterior lights are off.

The illumination is automatically reduced as it becomes dark outside and is eventually switched off altogether.

This function is intended to remind the driver to swich on the dipped-beam headlights in good time.'

Aruba Blue

3rd Gear

Status
    You can change this with VDS so that the dials remain illuminated all the time. When I take my roof down sometimes and it is quite sunny the lights on the dials used to go off when the instument panel was in the shade and I had trouble seeing them clearly. So i changed it using VDS!
    Last edited by pns2007; 16th July 2009 at 22:24.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Igdos View Post
    Okay was sure I had read that in the manual.....

Here it is:

'The needles on the dials in the instrument cluster are illuminated when the ignition is on and the exterior lights are off.

The illumination is automatically reduced as it becomes dark outside and is eventually switched off altogether.

This function is intended to remind the driver to swich on the dipped-beam headlights in good time.'
    I see. I'm a little disappointed that Audi can't trust you to know when to turn the lights on.

I have mine on with the ignition through VCDS so I have never noticed this "feature".
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

6+1 Gears

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    I see. I'm a little disappointed that Audi can't trust you to know when to turn the lights on.
    You'd be surprised!