AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    Top Gear

Status

Driving in France/Europe

Hey guys, I believe there is a way to alter the Zenon headlights to work in Europe (mainly France). Does anyone know how to do this? I was under the impression that there was a lever inside the headlight unit that you moved up (or down) depending on the direction required - but I had a look today and could see of feel any lever. Your help would be gratefully recieved it's something that I don't want to have to take the car to the dealer for if it can be helped.

BTW the car is a 2005 8P should it make any differene.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I was looking for exactly the same thing a couple of days back

See this:

8P Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
    2010 "59" | A3 1.8 TFSI S-Line | Black Edition | Ibis White | Xenon Plus & LED DRL | BOSE | FBMFSW | Light & Rain Sensor Pack | Interior Light Pack | Bluetooth | Heated Seats | Folding Mirrors | Tire Pressure Monitor

is a retronaut

Status
    Xerohour found this post in the FAQs thread at the top of the page. Have a read of it before posting a question next time please.
    Last edited by Staz; 15th July 2009 at 07:36.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Xerohour found this post in the FAQs thread at the top of the page. Have a read of it before posting a question next time please.
    Good advice, Staz, except that the quoted thread refers to Bi-Xenon headlights. I believe that the standard Xenon headlights do use a lever, but since I've not taken my 05 A3 abroad yet I cannot say with certainty.
    Dave N

is a retronaut

Status
    I'm fairly sure that they're the same to be honest. Dave is the expert though!
    8P2 S3

1st Gear

Status
    Think you have to take car into Audi, from what I have been told it is only from the A4 up that you have a lever to adjust the headlights. My local Audi garage have quoted 50, thats both ways. I am driving down to Croatia in Sept so if anybody finds more info I also would be interested
    A3 CABRIO S-Line 2.0 TDI DSG
    Liquid Blue-Blue Hood. Celtic Tunning Remap with E Motion -RNSE-Seperate DVD Player-100gb Portable Hard Drive-USB-Phone Prep-Exnon Adaptive Lights-Heated Seats-Lumber Support-Acoustic Parking-Light & Rain Sensors-Interior Light Pack-Storage Pack-Cruise Control-Folding Dipping Mirrors-Interior Auto Dipping Mirror-Bose-Hill Hold-SDS-FBMFSW - Alpine iPod Controller

I'm fairly sure that they're the same to be honest. Dave is the expert though!
    My item in the FAQs certainly refers to Bi-Xenon headlights on a 2007 A3 and later. I do remember there being a lever to change the headlights on some of my earlier A3s but they all had Halogen headlights rather than Xenons.

I will have a look in Elsawin and see if it gives any more information.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    My item in the FAQs certainly refers to Bi-Xenon headlights on a 2007 A3 and later. I do remember there being a lever to change the headlights on some of my earlier A3s but they all had Halogen headlights rather than Xenons.

I will have a look in Elsawin and see if it gives any more information.
    I've just looked in Elsawin and it looks like a 2005 8P with Xenons should have a lever in the headlights to change them for continental use. Here is a link to the Elaswin page which may help:

change xenons for continental use

If your particular headlights do not have this lever then it may well be a visit to the dealer to have them changed on their diagnostic kit.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

is a retronaut

Status
    Nice one! You going to add that to your FAQs post?
    8P2 S3

Nice one! You going to add that to your FAQs post?
    Good idea Staz - Done
    Dave R (h5djr)

automatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I've just looked in Elsawin and it looks like a 2005 8P with Xenons should have a lever in the headlights to change them for continental use. Here is a link to the Elaswin page which may help:

change xenons for continental use

If your particular headlights do not have this lever then it may well be a visit to the dealer to have them changed on their diagnostic kit.
    Thanks Dave I was wondering about this too, the last 3 times I've been back to the UK in the car I've had loads of people flashing me - my thought process was something like "yes, okay, thankyou for blinding me in return, but I'm not sticking crap on my headlights, and I can't find the little lever, so keep flashing and sod off"

Will investigate when I get home! Thankyou
    Still loving the 130i like the sideways dirtbag I am

6th Gear

Status
    Bit of a PITA to have to take a spanner to disconnect and re-connect the battery though.

I guess that is corporate Lawyers involvement so that no one electrocutes them selves.

Anyone doing this must be very, very careful due to the HV used in Xenon lights. You must certainly make sure that the lights are in the off position.

I'd be tempted to also wear rubber gloves whilst doing it.

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

Top Gear

Status
    Thanks Dave R! I was looking for something totally different... think I saw a post from ages ago where the lever was tooked away somewhere... I'll take a look again tomorrow and find out if that works!

Can anyone also recommend a bulb pack for the 2005 8P? I want to make sure I'm covered for most eventualities for my trip in August.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Commonly known in vagcom for bixenon headlights as Tourist Mode.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/...%29#Adaptation

There's also a cool setting for bixenon adaptives for showroom effect so you can test your lights if the left/right is working properly while stationary.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/...%29#Adaptation

As Leon rightly says search would have brought up many threads/posts

TBH the best option is to lower the beam via the top screws remembering how many turns per side, then when back just turn them back up, number of people on AS have done this before & not had issues, saves disconnecting battery & easy as pie.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK